Marcel Bellefeuille named Bombers OC

Noeller

Never had an offense better than 4th in points scored.

In Montreal he has A.C., Cahoon, Watkins, Robert Edwards and a great OL and was 7th in points scored.

Forget last year, his track record speaks for itself.

As has been pointed out, MB was OC in Montreal in 2007 - the year AC left the team to be with his wife while she was battling cancer and the year they had Charlie Carpenter as oline coach and the Als oline gave up the most sacks by far (65).

A.C. played in over two thirds of the game that year (13). That OL had among other perenial all-star and potential hall of famer Scott Flory.

A.C., Cahoon, Watkins, Edwards, Flory is a pretty good base of talent to work with.

Doesn't mean they were good in 2007. Scott Flory was the only Als' olineman named to the Eastern all-star team that year. The biggest difference between 2007 and 2008 was a change in the blocking schemes. They were bad in 2007.

Agree. I remember one play in particular, when Tom Canada sacked Calvillo on a two point convert attempt. They were in slide protection...he hid behind one of the linemen and charged in for the sack after they 'slid' past.

Can't say I'm surprised, but still a little disappointed that Bellefeuille will remain the OC, I suppose if nothing else our offense should at least be better than last year, considering that Marcel will be able to implement his own offense, instead of trying to figure out Crowton's.

What I find interesting is the amount of Canadian content we have in the office and coaches.

Canadian:

Kyle Walters GM - - Born in St Thomas, Ontario

Mike O'Shea - Head Coach - Born in North Bay, Ontario

Marcel Bellefeuille - Offensive Coordinator - Born in Ottawa, Ontario

Ted Goveia - Assistant General Manager / Director of Player Personnel  - Believe he comes from Burlington, Ontario

Dave Siddall -  National Scout - Believe he is Canadian as he graduated from the U of M

American:

Danny McManus - Assistant General Manager / Director of U.S. Scouting - Dania Beach, Florida

Drew Morris - Assistant General Manager / Director of U.S. Scouting - American

Vacant Coaching Positions:

Receivers
Running Backs
Offensive Line
Defensive Coordinator
Linebackers
Defensive Line
Defensive Backs
Special Teams Coordinator

Can throw in Wade Miller and a bunch of the other front office staff, but I believe they are typically Canadian on most teams anyway.

I don't think it really means anything, just unusual in that the league typically has Americans in a lot of those positions.

Never had an offense better than 4th in points scored.

In Montreal he has A.C., Cahoon, Watkins, Robert Edwards and a great OL and was 7th in points scored.

Forget last year, his track record speaks for itself.

As has been pointed out, MB was OC in Montreal in 2007 - the year AC left the team to be with his wife while she was battling cancer and the year they had Charlie Carpenter as oline coach and the Als oline gave up the most sacks by far (65).

A.C. played in over two thirds of the game that year (13). That OL had among other perenial all-star and potential hall of famer Scott Flory.

A.C., Cahoon, Watkins, Edwards, Flory is a pretty good base of talent to work with.

So you base his worth as an OC only based on being 7th in scoring, but choose to ignore the other facts. That's weak!

Weak?  his offense couldn't score with a hall of fame QB, hall of fame slotback, a perenial 1000 yard receiver and an OL that almost always an all-star and a likely hall of famer. Who gives a rat ass how many yards his offense got or that he had the rb with the most tds? Goal of an offense is to score points.

Jacquie, bad or not, Flory is a better OL than anybody on our roster. My point is that despite having a hall of fame QB, a hall of fame sb, a hall of fame OG, a wr who had multiple 1000 yard seasons and a running back who had over a 1000 yards, Marcel had an offense that scored the second fewest points in the CFL. Remember how bad he made A.C. look in 07? He made a QB who was able to make three straight grey cup games, a qb who won 2 grey cups, who still had 2 MOP seasons look done.

I absolutely hate this hire. The words "offensive juggernaut" and "Marcel Bellefeuille" have never been said together unless it was sarcastically.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: within 5 minutes of hearing about a hire, the best argument to support that hire should NOT be "we could have done worse".

I agree with Doug Brown,  why bring anyone back associated with last years gong show of an offense.      

I think MB will have a near impossible challenge ahead of him because the fans are going to demand INSTANT results and I don't think we will have any sorts of patience with him.  I think it's a bad hire and one that could blow up in the clubs face.   

Now if Boltus comes back next season even for training camp then I officially will give up on next season and will patiently await for the next rebuild....

Jacquie, bad or not, Flory is a better OL than anybody on our roster. My point is that despite having a hall of fame QB, a hall of fame sb, a hall of fame OG, a wr who had multiple 1000 yard seasons and a running back who had over a 1000 yards, Marcel had an offense that scored the second fewest points in the CFL. Remember how bad he made A.C. look in 07? He made a QB who was able to make three straight grey cup games, a qb who won 2 grey cups, who still had 2 MOP seasons look done.

Remember that OC who had great success with Calvillo.... then he had better success as a head coach then Bellefeuille despite having Kevin Glenn as a qb...... 

What's done is done. You can't trust Walters and Oshea and also hate this hire. Marcel is our OC. Let's give him the talent and support to succeed. I think he will do fine.

Ding ding ding...you are correct sir.  And if this hire is true, whatever trust I had is indeed slipping.

The only way my trust in them wouldn't be slipping is if they offered the job to others and they all said no, so they were stuck with MB.

What's done is done. You can't trust Walters and Oshea and also hate this hire. Marcel is our OC. Let's give him the talent and support to succeed. I think he will do fine.

Are you sure they don't hate it?  Very limited options.

You're absolutely right. And I HATE this hire. First big misstep with this new regime IMO. 

We'll be looking for a new OC this time next year. Bank on it.

Are we gonna be top 2 in offensive production? Doubt it. But that has more to do without an experienced all star qb, able online and star recievers.

Mc is not the exciting hire I was hoping for but he did manage to get the offense with max hall moving the ball down the field.

Instead of getting blown out like we were in the first half of the season. We were still in games late in the 4th. Not a ringing endorsement for sure, but we had a whole host of issue on offence.

You keep saying this, but the RB you speak of was past his prime and found himself out of football in 2007 after an incredibly bad start with the Als (72 yards in 4 games), the two WR you speak of DID put together 1000 yard seasons and that Hall of Fame QB who looked so awful as you put it actually improved in 2007 compared to his 2006 season, putting up a better completion %, more touchdowns per pass attempt, less interceptions per pass attempt and a higher overall QBR. Not to mention Charlie Carpenter had that OL playing like absolute garbage in 2007. There's a reason he lasted one year there. He turned an offensive line full of stars into swiss cheese with his bad, bad schemes. No idea what happened with that guy, it's like he suffered dementia in 2007 because he has a good track record otherwise.

I'm not thrilled about Bellefeuille either but the way you're going on about the 2007 season doesn't make a lot of sense. They struggled out of the gate because teams knew Robert Edwards was a dud and they keyed in on the passing game since Montreal had no RB to work with and as soon as they cut him, their offense improved ten fold with Payton.

his experience isn't likely that much of a differentiating factor from other players like Maas or Marcus Brady, for example, and I could make the argument that both were more cerebral players than Khari even though Khari was the far better QB than either of them.

Did you just say that Brady was more cerebral than Khari Jones? Do people forget just how smart Khari was? Hell didn't the qbs basically end up taking over the offensive gameplanning in 2000 and that seemed to work out well. I don't know if the guy would wind up working out or not, but I already know that MB isn't going to be very exciting. 

I don't derive any confidence in the fact that on the day Bellefeuille is announced, they specifically announce the signing of a punter…. :)

But as others have mentioned, he's now the OC, and I'll support him 'til he gives me reason not to.

And it's a clean slate from this day on.

Let's not forget who Marcel has to answer to….O'Shea, that alone should make a difference.

As to who wasn't hired, who for sure, and why?

The only question I would ask is why people assume it's the candidates who weren't impressed, maybe it was O'Shea who wasn't impressed.

Was interviewed last Sunday and new regime was impressed RT @garylawless: can tell you #bombers will retain Marcel Bellefeuille as OC #cfl

Oh, and Denmark will be happy.

Mike, I guess why I'm harping on Montreal and Marcel is people here saying don't judge him on last year and to me he didn't do well with some pretty good talent (although as you say, they did lack a running game and the OL was awful).But I think I'm going to stop. Wish they had hired somebody else but he's here so will hope for the best.

Mike, I guess why I'm harping on Montreal and Marcel is people here saying don't judge him on last year and to me he didn't do well with some pretty good talent (although as you say, they did lack a running game and the OL was awful).But I think I'm going to stop. Wish they had hired somebody else but he's here so will hope for the best.

I don't like the hire any more than you do, I just don't think Montreal is the best representation of his work. I'd be more hesitant to buy in thanks to his average results in Hamilton.

I don't like the hire any more than you do, I just don't think Montreal is the best representation of his work. I'd be more hesitant to buy in thanks to his average results in Hamilton.

That's a good point. I wasn't impressed with his offenses in any of his 3 stops.