Marcel Bellefeuille named Bombers OC

Noeller

Poor choice if true.

Isn't this what you wanted though? Experienced coordinators? I thought they were always preferred over newbies in your eyes.

Your black and white thinking makes you wrong yet again Mike.  Let me help you out. 

Stubler as DC: Great experience + Top notch defences = great choice

MB as OC, Mediocre experience + Average to below average offences = poor choice

I don't like MB's offenses as they are dull and boring.  He tries to 'take what they give you' instead of forcing the defence to react to what we do which makes him a poor OC IMO.  Any OC who relies on 'spot' passes shouldn't be anywhere near a CFL team, let alone mine.

So you wouldn't take Trestman as OC if he were magically available?

Bellefeuille is not my first choice but honestly last year was not a fair indication of his abilities as an OC.   I don't care who our OC was last year, with Pierce, Hall, Goltz and a porous O-line.  Even Dave Dickinson wouldn't have been able to get that offence performing at a high level.   

O'Shea must have seen something there and I trust that he's not settling with MB.     Let's give MB a full training camp and let him institute his own offence.    Oh and get him a QB that can play.  

Bellefeuille DID coach well enough to earn himself an HC gig at one time in HAM.  I don't remember too many around the CFL at that time thinking Bellefeuille didn't earn that gig. 

Oh sure there were a hell of a lot of eyebrows raised when he got that job just because he was so bad to average as an offensive coordinator. Remember it was under his offense that everyone thought Calvillo was washed up and finished. The Riders offense didn't get anywhere above mediocrity with him and some how he got to be a head coach... I think he is a text book example of a well liked guy who because of being well liked gets lots and lots of chances despite not being overly good at the job. 

Here are the actual facts

Saskatchewan Roughriders[edit]

After the win in the Vanier Cup, Bellefeuille was hired by the Saskatchewan Roughriders as an assistant. In 2003, he was named the offensive coordinator. In three seasons he helped the Roughriders running backs total 7,000 rushing yards.

Montreal Alouettes[edit]

After leaving Saskatchewan, Bellefeuille joined the Montreal Alouettes in 2006 as their running backs and wide receivers coach. In 2007 he was promoted to Offensive Coordinator and running backs coach. In his 1st season in Montreal, he helped Robert Edwards lead the CFL in touchdowns with 17. Bellefeuille also helped the Alouettes be the only team with two 1,000 yard receivers in Kerry Watkins and Ben Cahoon.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats[edit]

In 2008, Bellefeuille was hired by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to be their offensive coordinator and Quarterbacks coach. In September 2008, following Charlie Taaffe's firing, he was named the interim head coach.[3] On October 27, he was officially named Taaffe's replacement. His record as the Ti-Cats interim coach was 1-7-0. On January 15, 2009, Bellefeuille completed his staff shake-up by hiring Greg Marshall as his defensive coordinator and Mike Gibson as his offensive coordinator. Before the Tiger-Cats final 2009 preseason game against the Toronto Argonauts, Bellefeuille said that, "The only thing we know for certain as a coaching staff and as an organization is that Nick Setta will be our kicker." In 3 full seasons as the head coach of the Ti-Cats, Marcel Bellefeuille transitioned the team into a mediocre football club. From 2003 to 2007 the Hamilton Tiger-Cats had a record of 22-60-1. Under Bellefeuille (from 2008 to 2011) they were 26-28, making the playoffs every season and going to the East Final in 2011. Unfortunately, the fan-base and ownership became weary of the mediocrity of the team under Bellefeuille and relived of him of his duties following the 2011 Season.

If Marcel hadn't agreed to come here last year we would probably be hailing him as a saviour right now.  

Marcel sucks

Crowton sucks.

Barresi sucks

Lapo sucks.

Or maybe something else sucked all along.

I say we could do worse.  If we get Callaros and improve the OL at least a bit MArcel can get the job done.  

I'm indifferent with this hire. I don't get why there's so much love for Khari, he has yet to prove anything and I don't think there's too many offensive guys out there looking for a job right now.

The bombers don't yet have the personnel to run a dominant offense. No matter how you look at it, I don't see how our O Line is gonna be significantly better than last year. We still need a QB. Even our receiving core is up in the air. If the offense bombs, I don't see how an inexperienced guy like Khari would know enough to turn things around with a "rebuilding" offense, especially since he wouldn't be working under a HC that has experience running an offense.

The best move the Bombers could make now is to bring in a QB coach.

I'm not sure what to think but since O'Shea was the one who hired him then I'm willing to give him a chance.

His stock seems to have fallen because he said he'd only leave Sask if he was a head coach.

Hasn't that be shown to be untrue since he has interviewed for 2 OC jobs since those comments were allegedly made.

I don't know Jacquie. Has he? Maybe he has.

There were reports he was being interviewed by the Lions and by us for the OC job iirc.

Not a very good hire.  Marcel has never had an offense ranked in the top-4 wherever he has coached so I guess we can expect more of the same in 2014.  We're used to it though - Bombers haven't had a top-4 offense since 2007.  In fact only 1 top-4 offense in the last decade.

Question:  If it came down to Marcel or Chapdelaine who would the posters here rather have as OC?

Not a very good hire.  Marcel has never had an offense ranked in the top-4 wherever he has coached so I guess we can expect more of the same in 2014.  We're used to it though - Bombers haven't had a top-4 offense since 2007.  In fact only 1 top-4 offense in the last decade.

Question:  If it came down to Marcel or Chapdelaine who would the posters here rather have as OC?

I'd rather just use the Ask Madden feature.

If stubler ends up here, I think MB and him provide a great complement to oshea... What worries me is that we haven't announced stubler yet

if it turns out that we missed stubler - maybe walters isn't getting the job done... then I kind of wonder if MB is a consolation prize and we missed out on khari, etc

Surprising the dickenson's name is not really mentioned in any rumours too

MB, stubler and dickenson should give us a 500 season at least

Just need a QB coach and new OL coach

If stubler ends up here, I think MB and him provide a great complement to oshea... What worries me is that we haven't announced stubler yet

if it turns out that we missed stubler - maybe walters isn't getting the job done... then I kind of wonder if MB is a consolation prize and we missed out on khari, etc

Surprising the dickenson's name is not really mentioned in any rumours too

MB, stubler and dickenson should give us a 500 season at least

Just need a QB coach and new OL coach

i think Stubler had the Stamps interview just today.