2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Both Lawler & Schoen's days as NFL players are over. We're not just a ground & pound team. We throw the ball. A lot. Sometimes maybe too much as Zach likes the deep ball. But to say we're a one dimensional ball team with just Oliveira grounding it out on the ground is wrong.

This team reminds me of the Bombers of the mid to late 80's when we won 2 GC's & should have won more. We had Tom Clements at qb. We had Willard Reaves running for 1300-1800 yards a season. We also had Joe Pop, Rick House, Perry Tuttle, James Murphy & jeff Boyd catching the ball. No one called us a ground & pound team with Reaves ground game crushing opponents, The Bombers then, just like today, can kill a team on the ground or in the air. We're a nightmare for opposition DC's to prepare for. 

I never said we were a one dimensional team but the shift in philosophy has changed. We’re at our best when Brady has the football in his hands. Yes I think number 8 is the best quarterback in the CFL, yes I think having a balanced attack helps our offense in both areas, and yes I think Kenny is a great player but my point is there’s going to be tough decisions to make next off season and I don’t see us having three or the top four highest paid receivers in our roster next season, it’s just unlikely at this point, especially with how much we paid for number 8 and for number 20. 

Perhaps with receivers not getting 300k you can keep lawler Schoen and Demski longer. 

250 prob max for a receiver like lawler and Schoen. That’s 500k. It’s not that much in the scheme of things. Perhaps we move on from Zach sooner than later. (It’s gonna happen eventually) and there’s more savings. Bryant. Jefferson. Bighill.  Lots of cash freed up sooner than later. I’ll just say I understand they all need to be Replaced also but the guys replacing them prob don’t make what Zach and crew make now.  So instead of QB making 600k , he gets 300 to 450 instead. Hello savings my old friend 

Edited by Goalie

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

I can’t see Lawler and Schoen ever leaving now. The one year deal with Schoen was to try and sign them both together next year. Schoen gets a slight bump, Lawler takes a haircut and it all works out the same

At least in a buck and Zach era I agree. If buck took a hc gig next year and Zach retired, maybe they’d look else where. 

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Agreed, not only that but the philosophy of our offense has changed. It revolves around the ground game with the emergence of Brady Oliveria as the focal point of the offense. No matter what we can’t pay a receiver closer to 300 k and have three of the top paid receivers in the league when we’re a ground and pound football team that money can be spent trying to find a tackle, or an upgrade to the front seven year year. I love me some Kenny Lawler but you’re right he’ll have to shave some salary off if we see him back in blue and gold, I guess part of the discussion will be with Schoen and if we can lock him up long term or he gets one last NFL shot, my money would be on him being back but I would be shocked if they’re both back next season at over 500 k 

Schoens NFL window waved bye bye last yr...he's a lifer here now

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

I can’t see Lawler and Schoen ever leaving now. The one year deal with Schoen was to try and sign them both together next year. Schoen gets a slight bump, Lawler takes a haircut and it all works out the same

I agree...they aren't going anywhere...plus neither wanna go anywhere...it will work out fine.

We will have some money that's free'd up next year too

1 hour ago, Jets said:

Offer Schoen 1.2M over 5 years, 200k signing bonus, 100k salary per season and 100k paid out as a roster bonus each season. 

Make some history with a long term deal, huge upfront cost, but cheaper over the long term. 

That contract length is too long for it to work. Player would need guarenteed money, club would be foolish to guarentee money for that length of time. 

5 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Agreed, not only that but the philosophy of our offense has changed. It revolves around the ground game with the emergence of Brady Oliveria as the focal point of the offense. No matter what we can’t pay a receiver closer to 300 k and have three of the top paid receivers in the league when we’re a ground and pound football team that money can be spent trying to find a tackle, or an upgrade to the front seven year year. I love me some Kenny Lawler but you’re right he’ll have to shave some salary off if we see him back in blue and gold, I guess part of the discussion will be with Schoen and if we can lock him up long term or he gets one last NFL shot, my money would be on him being back but I would be shocked if they’re both back next season at over 500 k 

In that case it might be wise to identify an import RB that can approximate Brady's running style and stick him on the PR for the season in case they need him.  Augustine or Rosery aren't capable of sustaining a ground and pound running game and not sure MCI can fill that role either yet.  The Riders found a poor man's version of Ouellette in Ratkovich to pound the ball if he goes down, I could see their running game being much improved this season.

Edited by Fatty Liver

13 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He’s going to have to. He’s making shy of 300 k, second highest paid receiver in the league.. I understand it was a tough start for him because of the suspension but he’s going to have to be a little bit better this year than he was last year. Not to say he was bad but when you’re paid top dollar you have to be one of the top players. I think he’s going to have a huge season this year btw 

What are you talking about??? 

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47z5g78xx3haquehrwtcz

13 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I never said we were a one dimensional team but the shift in philosophy has changed. We’re at our best when Brady has the football in his hands. Yes I think number 8 is the best quarterback in the CFL, yes I think having a balanced attack helps our offense in both areas, and yes I think Kenny is a great player but my point is there’s going to be tough decisions to make next off season and I don’t see us having three or the top four highest paid receivers in our roster next season, it’s just unlikely at this point, especially with how much we paid for number 8 and for number 20. 

We all said the same thing last season and then Walters proved it can be done.

If they’re going to be shedding salary for 2025, there’s a lot of other older players who will be gone before our 2 star receivers in their 20s lol 

40 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

We all said the same thing last season and then Walters proved it can be done.

If they’re going to be shedding salary for 2025, there’s a lot of other older players who will be gone before our 2 star receivers in their 20s lol 

Kenny will be 30 by Week 4 this week, fwiw

1 minute ago, Mike said:

D’Abreu over Rivers is an interesting one but I’m glad they’re making decisions.

D’Abreu over Rivers is an interesting one but I’m glad they’re making decisions.

Lil shocked as well....but also means I think Garbutt is in drivers set for the other end with WJ and Haba...whih I like a lot, and will get more playtime Friday

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

I thought Rivers looked good in the game.