2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I believe your question was "I wonder what is historically a worse pick in the first round of the cfl draft, a fb or a wr.?"

Tyson Philpot 532 yds ly, 459 yds in  2022 so basically a thousand yards by himself, and the gamebreaking play against us in the grey cup

Jalen Philpot hurt in 2023   317yd  in 2022 also returned 21 kickoffs for 573 yards and a league-leading 27.3-yard average, 

Emililus   1097 yards ly

If you look at the last 4 drafts there is a lot of less than stellar picks at most positions except fb because none were chosen It all boils down to the individual player ie Demski, Emilus, Gittens jr are all top players and being paid as such

1k yards in 2 seasons is not a success indicator. That’s pretty much replacement level 6th wr stuff. Spending a first on that isn’t great value. Both have upside still but if it doesn’t happen in year 3 it isn’t likely to happen. 

If that’s the high water mark of success, then you might be better off drafting a fb rather than a wr where you have a 1/5 chance over 10 years of getting the last wr on the roster. 

13 hours ago, wbbfan said:

1k yards in 2 seasons is not a success indicator. That’s pretty much replacement level 6th wr stuff. Spending a first on that isn’t great value. Both have upside still but if it doesn’t happen in year 3 it isn’t likely to happen. 

If that’s the high water mark of success, then you might be better off drafting a fb rather than a wr where you have a 1/5 chance over 10 years of getting the last wr on the roster. 

I mean yeah - a Demski doesn't come along very often - so may as well draft a full back. 

25 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I mean yeah - a Demski doesn't come along very often - so may as well draft a full back. 

And demski took years and a move to a new team to become what he is today. 

Drafting a player high to fill a hole now is just bad drafting strategy.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

sack did really mess him up though. It took a long time to over come that first stretch. 

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

If the bombers take a fullback with 1 of their first let’s say 1 of the first 3 picks they have, they have lost the plot. 

I’d be surprised if they did too. Only way I see it is if it’s a fb with another position. A rb, a te type who can play wr etc.  and I don’t think we will even do that. 

To me, it would make a lot of sense to bring back Konnor burtenshaw, and Daniel petermann. Pete is 28 and a fa. Then spend late picks on another wr and maybe fb to bring into camp. Cole Adamson was being moved to ol, but he’s undersized and pretty athletic. If he could execute fb stuff that’d be an easy way to get a spare ol on the roster with out losing out.  Any athletic undersized lineman would be a decent candidate to fill that roster spot. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

What if they are a fullback/Running back with military service in their background, who also rescues old ladies from burning buildings?

Well. That’s different lol. I mean. Is Damien Jackson in the draft. I’m assuming if he was he’d be long gone before the bombers first pick. You just don’t find that type of talent in the cdn draft tho. 

Edited by Goalie

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Well. That’s different lol. I mean. Is Damien Jackson in the draft. I’m assuming if he was he’d be long gone before the bombers first pick. You just don’t find that type of talent in the cdn draft tho. 

The CFL would have to hold a special lottery draft for a guy like the Seal - way too special to be lumped in with the the average player!

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

What if they are a fullback/Running back with military service in their background, who also rescues old ladies from burning buildings?

Well....YEAH.......definitely.....ask Booch

Edited by Stickem

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Every decision is a gamble.

With Chris jones being Chris jones and us having 3 picks in the top 20, I wonder if either side would entertain a trade? 
 Dublanko would be a great fit for us and could learn under and beside biggie. Instead of having to be an immediate starter he could be a heavy rotation guy which could allow us to get more games out of biggie and kyrie. Jones would probably want a pick or two and an imp player but I think we could make a decent trade for both sides. 
 I’d also be interested in moving up to another spot if it meant we got to lock in our pick of Dumoulin Duguay, una, and hergel. 

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

With Chris jones being Chris jones and us having 3 picks in the top 20, I wonder if either side would entertain a trade? 
 Dublanko would be a great fit for us and could learn under and beside biggie. Instead of having to be an immediate starter he could be a heavy rotation guy which could allow us to get more games out of biggie and kyrie. Jones would probably want a pick or two and an imp player but I think we could make a decent trade for both sides. 
 I’d also be interested in moving up to another spot if it meant we got to lock in our pick of Dumoulin Duguay, una, and hergel. 

We probably missed the boat on this.  I feel like the could have been a deal to be had earlier... 😂

Walters: How about we swap your 1st overall pick for Damian Jackson, straight up.

Jones: Not a chance!

Walters: Do you know how many different positions you could convert him to?

Jones:  giphy.gif

Jones: You got yourself a deal!

18 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

We probably missed the boat on this.  I feel like the could have been a deal to be had earlier... 😂

Walters: How about we swap your 1st overall pick for Damian Jackson, straight up.

Jones: Not a chance!

Walters: Do you know how many different positions you could convert him to?

Jones:  giphy.gif

Jones: You got yourself a deal!

Damn you’re right. Could’ve played every position for jones! 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't think the hyphenated name guy would be a crazy pick at 8 overall as a running back.  Kind of a hybrid guy.

Physically he’s the only back with that potential. No idea if he has the skill set head set etc for teams and blocking. It’d be phenomenal to have a guy who can do both jobs though as a ni. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Damien Jackson is truly legendary 

I feel that in years we will be talking about him like SNL talked about Bill Brasky. Truly a man of the people for the people. 

I’m pretty sure every team in the league is pinching pennies to find a way to sign him. 

On 2024-04-04 at 1:38 PM, bigg jay said:

I'd be a lot less critical of these articles if they explained their rational a bit more - even if I don't agree with where they have a guy going, at least let me see the thought process behind it.

I think it would be especially valuable for Hodge since he does multiple mocks and some of his picks change drastically.  Like how does he have a guy like Straker going from being his projected 3rd overall pick to 20th?  Or how does he have Kevens Clercius jumping up 12 spots from 23rd to 11th? 

totally agree with you here... this is Ferguson's complete write up on his projected 20th overall pick Justin Sambu:

Every year I seem to draft Winnipeg an interior defensive lineman, while nobody has really laid claim to being ‘next’ in the Bombers rotation. 

Thanks Marshall... now I know exactly what kind of player Sambu is and why the Bombers would select him...