2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

In reading up about combines, the thing is combine results  do appear to have a correlation to how players get drafted, but are very limited in usefulness in regards to actual on field success.

the forty yard dash is mostly relevant to running backs, and actually the first 10 yards of the forty are the most relevant. (which makes sense when you think of dline linebackers etc). The vertical jump is more relevant but even so isn't a good indicator of success.

Teams really should rely on their scouting of games, and game film versus being overly swayed by the combine.

All the combine testing does is show who is serious about moving to the next level.

If you're an OL walking into a combine where you can't do 20 reps of 225....you're showing that you're not willing (or able) to do the work to be a pro.  Now if you have tremendous film you'll probably get a chance to prove that wrong.  If the film is meh, the testing is meh, the on field stuff is meh, you're done.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Free Valour tickets for every purchase of a Bomber ticket. Get people to show up, buy some food, and hopefully fall in love with soccer?

Nothing better than a nil-nil ending with players writhing on the ground all over the field in response to a gust of wind.

Edited by Tracker

19 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Nothing better than a nil-nil ending with players writhing on the ground all over the field in response to a gust of wind.

Don't get the soccer love either....boring as all heck...like living in Sask...and the images of guys flopping to the ground like a sniper drilled them from the nose bleeds is more than I can stomach...only reason it's considered most pop sport in world is because it's the cheapest to play and costs are minimal...hard pass for me

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

Don't get the soccer love either....boring as all heck...like living in Sask...and the images of guys flopping to the ground like a sniper drilled them from the nose bleeds is more than I can stomach...only reason it's considered most pop sport in world is because it's the cheapest to play and costs are minimal...hard pass for me

McDonalds is the biggest restaurant chain in the world but not haute cuisine.

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Naylor didn’t specify  but maybe he meant for a non Cup hosting year. 

Must be because that profit for the Riders was very much inflated by the Grey Cup.

"Craig Reynolds, the Roughriders’ Chief Financial Officer, noted the figure includes "a net profit of $9.3 million from hosting the 2013 Grey Cup."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/roughriders-profit-reaches-all-time-high-of-10-4m-agm-hears-1.2671668

15 hours ago, Booch said:

It’s like the worst parts of basketball and track combined with all the fun of watching paint dry, with the worst time keeping in history. 
 If kids are playing it that’s great, sports give a lot to those who play it. It’s a decent sport for cross training. But I can’t understand people who enjoy it. 

Good for the gappers making a nice profit. They’re gonna need that money if they aren’t a play off team (and I don’t think they will be). The worm has turned in Regina and people will be as happy to see oday fired as they would be to win a bjb. More and more the sea of green is turning into browns fans with paper bags. Apathy is the most dangerous thing for a sports team. This generation has seen the riders win and it has no novelty any more. They aren’t gonna keep coming out to watch a crap team. 

17 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

All the combine testing does is show who is serious about moving to the next level.

If you're an OL walking into a combine where you can't do 20 reps of 225....you're showing that you're not willing (or able) to do the work to be a pro.  Now if you have tremendous film you'll probably get a chance to prove that wrong.  If the film is meh, the testing is meh, the on field stuff is meh, you're done.

True. Especially since guys have started training to excel in just the tests. 

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

You eat McRibs all the time for a year? You're still alive after that?

I would have had they been available!  I just remember going to Safeway and buying pork butt steak at around $3.50 for like two or three meals, grilled up.