2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

That’s wrong. Jj did not play weeks 1-3 or 5. In week 1 wj had 2 sacks. In week 5 wj had 2 more. All 4 of habbas sacks came in games jj did not play. 

You've got your games mixed up.  Jeffcoat played Game 1 vs Hamilton.  As did Haba.  He was out June 16, 22 and Sept 16 plus the final game.

You might be confused because Jeffcoat didn't record any stats so you won't see him on the CFL.CA game log.

Here's the depth chart: https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2023/06/HAMILTON-AT-WINNIPEG_JUNE-9-UPDATED.pdf

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You've got your games mixed up.  Jeffcoat played Game 1 vs Hamilton.  As did Haba.  He was out June 16, 22 and Sept 16 plus the final game.

You might be confused because Jeffcoat didn't record any stats so you won't see him on the CFL.CA game log.

Here's the depth chart: https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2023/06/HAMILTON-AT-WINNIPEG_JUNE-9-UPDATED.pdf

You’re right that he was dressed for week 1, but Looking at it he suffered the calf injury early in the first. He too a few snaps but idk how many. But he was out for the 3 sacks by the other 2 ends. And leaves the other games. 

I'm not sure which games that people had sacks and who played and what not.  But from the naked eye Jeffcoat didn't look like a difference maker while Jefferson from the start of the season until the end was very noticeable on the field regardless if he registered sacks or not.   

The amount of times he caused massive disruptions and the amount of times he had near sacks was very noticeable.  Sometimes stats don't tell the full story.   

52 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm not sure which games that people had sacks and who played and what not.  But from the naked eye Jeffcoat didn't look like a difference maker while Jefferson from the start of the season until the end was very noticeable on the field regardless if he registered sacks or not.   

The amount of times he caused massive disruptions and the amount of times he had near sacks was very noticeable.  Sometimes stats don't tell the full story.   

Don't think there is a stat for drawing double teams. Do they record knockdowns?

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

This is a good point. Even in games with both we can’t know who was on the field. In the past we rotated dl a lot and for entire series would have any dl off. 
 If we had last year first half wj and the previous first half year from JJ all year we’d a had record sacks. 

Jefferson needs to play about 2/3 of snaps.  His impact plays don't increase if he plays more.  He has more plays with his hands on his hips watching guys run by him, big negative plays, drives where the D can't get off the field.

Grab one of the Global DL, grab a couple Canadian guys that can be role players.  Roll with 8 DL.

12 hours ago, Mark H. said:

In 2021 & 2022 - teams were often forced to use extra pass pro against the Bombers. In 2023 not so much.

From 19-22 max protect was pretty much the only way teams could have any measure of success against the Bombers D. Especially when Hall would blitz into it constantly. 

I’ve said it before, I’m still surprised the ticats didn’t use it in the 19 GC, they’d killed us with max pro in both regular season games that year. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’ve said it before, I’m still surprised the ticats didn’t use it in the 19 GC, they’d killed us with max pro in both regular season games that year. 

One reason might be - we fielded the best secondary that I can remember - in that GC - everyone was healthy.  I was at the game where Hammy beat us soundly that year - Brandon Alexander was standing on the sidelines. 

It could be that if they used max protect and consequently fewer receivers in the GC, perhaps our cover guys would have had them mostly blanketed.  With Hecht (one example) at safety back in Sept., it was a whole other story. 

10 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

One reason might be - we fielded the best secondary that I can remember - in that GC - everyone was healthy.  I was at the game where Hammy beat us soundly that year - Brandon Alexander was standing on the sidelines. 

It could be that if they used max protect and consequently fewer receivers in the GC, perhaps our cover guys would have had them mostly blanketed.  With Hecht (one example) at safety back in Sept., it was a whole other story. 

Was that based on a ratio adjustment or was Alexander coming back from injury?  Kongbo started 2019 on the 6-game IR and once he came back I think it allowed them to replace Hecht with an Import, it was a huge turning point for Hall when he was allowed to go all Import LB's and secondary.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

There a couple nice global DL prospects in this draft ..hope we grab one

And it just so happens we have an opening for a global on the ar. 

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

WINNIPEG_FREE_PRESS_SPECIAL_20070817_181

Rod Hill say hi.

Very different types of dbs. But Alford quality is extremely high in the modern era. Best cfl db produced in the past 20 years. Stiggers is likely the next best, but idk if he will stick in the nfl like Alford. Dees style of play fits soo well and he can bring soo much.  

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Jefferson needs to play about 2/3 of snaps.  His impact plays don't increase if he plays more.  He has more plays with his hands on his hips watching guys run by him, big negative plays, drives where the D can't get off the field.

Grab one of the Global DL, grab a couple Canadian guys that can be role players.  Roll with 8 DL.

Yeah and honestly that diminishes if he doesn’t have a nose to draw doubles. When teams chip him and get two guys on him etc he suffers. He tends to just coast back and try and swat passes. 
 In 21 especially we had the versatility to enable his playing rover basically. We had multiple dl who could all be on the field with him and create pressure, and lbers who could cover for his aggression/misses. The injuries, age and reduction in support from other positions has really hurt ba, biggie, and wj. 
 Hopefully we can find dts who can eat blocks and get pressures consistently, and not compensate with biggie getting smashed by ol, allowing him to drop back and help cover, and ba can recover and go back to doing more than selling out for hits. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

I know who Rod Hill is. 

He'd have to go a long way to beat what Hill did. Just saying. Alford played great but he was only a Bomber for a season. You can't make assumptions that he'd be the best DB to ever play. He had 47 interceptions for 482 yards in 90 regular season games, including a CFL record 5 in one game against Hamilton in 1990. He had 77 tackles, 5 fumble recoveries for 82 yards & scored 3 touchdowns. As well as being adept at blocking punts & field goals including the Eastern Final in 1988 vs the Argos. As good as Alford was for one season, this man was spectacular for five. Oh yeah, then there's Less Browne, the other corner on the other side during that 1990 season, He was another great one. I won't get into his stats. And there's a few other guys who had some great years.

Alford had a helluva year in the NFL. I'm not disputing that he's a talented DB. Only here a year. But who knows would he be the best? Maybe but that would spark quite a debate.

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He'd have to go a long way to beat what Hill did. Just saying. Alford played great but he was only a Bomber for a season. You can't make assumptions that he'd be the best DB to ever play. He had 47 interceptions for 482 yards in 90 regular season games, including a CFL record 5 in one game against Hamilton in 1990. He had 77 tackles, 5 fumble recoveries for 82 yards & scored 3 touchdowns. As well as being adept at blocking punts & field goals including the Eastern Final in 1988 vs the Argos. As good as Alford was for one season, this man was spectacular for five. Oh yeah, then there's Less Browne, the other corner on the other side during that 1990 season, He was another great one. I won't get into his stats. And there's a few other guys who had some great years.

Alford had a helluva year in the NFL. I'm not disputing that he's a talented DB. Only here a year. But who knows would he be the best? Maybe but that would spark quite a debate.

I'd go for whom I've seen for best Bombers DBs as Hill..BOlden..Brown...Roy Bennet and James Jefferson...bar none..nobody since be even close...I would almost put Bolden first if he had a series of yrs together...dude had no business being up here and we were so lucky to have him a few times 

Edited by Booch

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I said “maybe the best”.

Rod Hill was a first round pick in the NFL and played down there for years before coming up here. Alford came in as a pure rookie and was the best DB in the league playing the toughest spot in the secondary. 

Rod Hill was never as physical as Alford from what I remember, and I don’t really care about fumble recoveries TBH.  Alford was a great cover guy just like Rod Hill. 

Juran Bolden would be in my conversation as well. 

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'd go for whom I've seen for best Bombers DBs as Hill..BOlden..Brown...Roy Bennet and James Jefferson...bar none..nobody since be even close...I would almost put Bolden first if he had a series of yrs together...dude had no business being up here and we were so lucky to have him a few times 

I’ve never seen a player at any spot in the CFL more dominant than Juran Bolden. 
The last great Cal Murphy/Paul Jones find here 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’ve never seen a player at any spot in the CFL more dominant than Juran Bolden. 
The last great Cal Murphy/Paul Jones find here 

I’d add blink, he played behind some horrible ols and still put up great numbers. Plus was often our 2nd best wr behind milt. 

Bolden was insane. And he made it look soo easy.