2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

You don't know how Bombers will handle the ratio in the coming season, nor do I, but it'll be very different team and the past is no predictor of the future :)

I can tell you the 6 starters right now and that's all you really need these days.

So who is next. Houston?  Or another guy ppl don’t want back. That’s how this seems to be going. 

extension for Jackson gets more likely by the announcement. 

Hopefully Walters gets Schoen next  let’s have a good announcement instead of well not as good  

Congrats to Jake tho. Tough to hate on a dude who has only played for one team  

If we're moving on from the Gauthiers, Millers etc on special teams, a vet guy like Thomas to play specials and spell off the occasional play at DT for Lawson isn't a bad thing, even if the plan is still to bring in a NAT DE (Kongbo) as well.

One of Lawson and Kongbo playing 85% of the snaps on the DL with Thomas and Anthony Bennett playing the other 15% isn't the end of the world. 

Edited by Jets

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

So who is next. Houston?  Or another guy ppl don’t want back. That’s how this seems to be going. 

extension for Jackson gets more likely by the announcement. 

Hopefully Walters gets Schoen next  let’s have a good announcement instead of well not as good  

Congrats to Jake tho. Tough to hate on a dude who has only played for one team  

Fret not, Jackson is already locked up for next year. Seal Team Six-Pack.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Fret not, Jackson is already locked up for next year. Seal Team Six-Pack.

Yes. I’m expecting he signs an extension tho. Ha.  Not really but seems these announcements are close to suicide for some. Jackson extension might kill this forum. Perhaps bombers end goal. 

Here is the thing about Jackson that keeps him on the roster. He is a jack of all trades - master of none. He has the ability to play multiple positions as an emergency fill in plus STs. 

Does he come off as exceptional in any of them? Not really- but his value to the Bombers is based on his ability to provide at least temporary borderline ability should the need arise.

I get why people are frustrated with him being on the roster - but that is why he is here.  

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Here is the thing about Jackson that keeps him on the roster. He is a jack of all trades - master of none. He has the ability to play multiple positions as an emergency fill in plus STs. 

Does he come off as exceptional in any of them? Not really- but his value to the Bombers is based on his ability to provide at least temporary borderline ability should the need arise.

I get why people are frustrated with him being on the roster - but that is why he is here.  

if he was Canadian, no problem.... also, if we used the ratio rules properly, less of a problem.....

19 minutes ago, Jets said:

If we're moving on from the Gauthiers, Millers etc on special teams, a vet guy like Thomas to play specials and spell off the occasional play at DT for Lawson isn't a bad thing, even if the plan is still to bring in a NAT DE (Kongbo) as well.

One of Lawson and Kongbo playing 85% of the snaps on the DL with Thomas and Anthony Bennett playing the other 15% isn't the end of the world. 

We're not moving on from Miller.....he's actually going to be coaching special teams....and if we can sign Kongbo and Mason Bennett in fa, that would be a huge D Line get

Edited by Stickem

10 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'd rather have Jeffcoat.

He won’t take Jeffcoat money 

2 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Bombers signed defensive tackle Kenneth Randall today. He was cut in training camp in 2022. Interesting that they would bring him back.

We do it a lot. 

19 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He won’t take Jeffcoat money.

I know, I'm simply emphasizing my point at how little I'm interested in Betts. Even at the same money, give me Jeffcoat. 

But we're already out on Jeffcoat at whatever his ask is, so I'm certainly not on board with giving more for Betts.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

But then on O or D he only played in one spot...that he was converted to and had never played before he got here....didn't even play there in training camp or pre-season.

They liked him on special teams but his athletic limitations meant he only had utility in pretty limited spots on cover team and all return teams.

1 hour ago, Jets said:

Where do you put a 6'2 295 guy on special teams?  Basically the only spot Thomas might get in is on FG team and even then that's risky.

I think they'll bring back at least one of Briggs or Gauthier.  Those guys are trying the market to see if they might slot more into someone's D than they would here.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

If there was a Canadian available who did it I’m sure they’d make a switch. 

Konner Burtenshaw, a Canadian FB was kicking around on the practice roster all season til the extended PR window closed and he was released along with Agudosi and others. No idea if he could play but he was available.

We were still able to play an American FB and be one of the top 2 teams for Canadian snaps

You know, all those FB snaps

18 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I know, I'm simply emphasizing my point at how little I'm interested in Betts. Even at the same money, give me Jeffcoat. 

But we're already out on Jeffcoat at whatever his ask is, so I'm certainly not on board with giving more for Betts.

Where do you get the idea they're out on Jeffcoat?  Walters clearly stated he wants him back, he'll go to FA find out his market price and negotiate with the Bombers to see if they can come to an agreement.  I don't see a lot of teams being interested in a fairly expensive part-time solution unless they already have a matching piece that also can't play a full season like Lanier.

52 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

They also signed 5-10 receiver Aron Cruickshank from Rutgers. He was Steelers camp last year.

Really like this one^.  Hard to imagine anyone being as explosive as Grant, but this guy is a legit offensive player and has some chops on returns.  Could be the overall player they wanted Grant to be.  Wisconsin used him lots as a gadget guy, wildcat QB and Rutgers used him as a legit receiver with some of the Jet stuff too.

18 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Konner Burtenshaw, a Canadian FB was kicking around on the practice roster all season til the extended PR window closed and he was released along with Agudosi and others. No idea if he could play but he was available.

We were still able to play an American FB and be one of the top 2 teams for Canadian snaps

You know, all those FB snaps

They aren’t long snapping, and playing LB as far as I know.