2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

1 minute ago, ShyGuy said:

Does anyone in the world actually think Augustine has a chance to be RB1?

As a first year starter, he would be the second oldest RB1 in all of professional football. That is legitimately insane.

He's not being considered for a starters spot at all....just solid depth and a contributor on teams...thats it

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2024-01-23 at 10:31 AM, Booch said:

yes...was concurring with you....if we use our DA's properly we can be very deep...Maybe this Global Kicker we signed bumps Castillo out of the picture....and we can use his spot..Jacksons and the 2 others for guys who will enhance the roster...not just fill it.....I have no issues with Castillo at all.....but if you know who chooses to waste a DA spot again all yr, and we use another with the Kicker, then we are really hamstringing our depth

Would this kicker be considered a global?... I know it says he's from Venezuela but if he played in the NFL and XFL would he be an import?

4 hours ago, ShyGuy said:

As a first year starter, he would be the second oldest RB1 in all of professional football. That is legitimately insane.

For the production he gives us he's waaaaaaaaaay overpaid. Why would we waste money on the guy? As a reliever, he has a 5 or 6 yard average. As a starter, he'd average 3.5 to 4.

7 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Would this kicker be considered a global?... I know it says he's from Venezuela but if he played in the NFL and XFL would he be an import?

We just got our kicking sorted out. Why the **** would we trust a Global kicker to come in & be better? 

Couple more Bomber signings:

AYERS, Michael  LB A Ashland

Bridges, Marquise DB A North Dakota State

Ayers was on the December list of 10 Bomber neg list players.

36 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I asked John Hodge that question when the signing was annouced. This was his take:

I haven't checked with the league but if he has American citizenship, I believe he has the choice of being American or Global.

As an American, he can sign a two-year contract without having to go through a draft. Globals have to sign for three.

20 hours ago, Jesse said:

But this staff has refused to do that. Even when Brady was struggling.

To think they're going to give him a starting opportunity is laughable. 

That’s very true. Big changes abound this year but yeah I can’t see it. He loses a step it’s over for him and he’s up there in age already. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If we have to start Augustine then we're in trouble running the ball. I don't think he's good enough to carry the load 15-20 times a game for 18 games. If Oliveira leaves then watch the Bombers bring in six or 7 American running backs before training camp. The Bombers will make the change in the backfield to an American back during the pre season. Just my prediction. 

Milanovich-LItre? Yikes. He's not the answer. He's not even the question. 

I don’t think so either, though I do love the package and idea of what he offers. We’d need to find a rook young blood version of aml. And honestly likely a better version automatically. 

7 hours ago, Booch said:

JO is a above average ST guy....doesn't get credit he due

Also is a fine in game injury replacement to back up an Import, or BO ....

Now does this indicate we are gonna let BO test the market and see what his best offer is, and perhaps match...or come close....me gut says yup....

I'd in all honesty tho stop the Canadian bell cow back and use an import there...over half the SMS hit.....get same production if they recruit the right back, and use the same way and also a very likely chance that we field a guy with home run hitting speed....something we have lacked at RB going on 8 yrs now

Credit where it’s due, he did put in good work and improve a lot on teams. Honestly with his build you could possibly keep him on the roster as a multi purpose ni and teams guy out side of rb. 

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

That's what separates the boys from the men. 

The bomber starters and none starters too 

5 hours ago, ShyGuy said:

I think the one guy maybe two on here. 

On 1/23/2024 at 1:13 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Should we read anything into the fact that the club has added 6 receivers but only one running back to the roster in the off season?

I don’t think so. We might have 5 backs in camp compared to 25 WRs. Half of the off season pick ups will likely be db or wr. 

On 2024-01-22 at 1:46 PM, Bigblue204 said:

I have a personal agenda against Investors group, so I'm fine that they won't be keeping the name. 

For what it's worth Princess Auto has a lot of roots in Wpg. The family members I know seem pretty solid. And they own TCB so expect more availability!!

I just noticed that Princess Auto came in 27th from a survey for Canada's best employers. Thats the best showing for a retail company by a large margin (number 2 retailer is Apple at 75).

https://www.forbes.com/lists/canada-best-employers/?sh=82519bd2790b

14 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I just noticed that Princess Auto came in 27th from a survey for Canada's best employers. Thats the best showing for a retail company by a large margin (number 2 retailer is Apple at 75).

I'm struggling with that list a little bit because I know that number 11 had no business being anywhere close to that list, nevermind being that high on it.

26 minutes ago, Sard said:

I'm struggling with that list a little bit because I know that number 11 had no business being anywhere close to that list, nevermind being that high on it.

I’ve frequently seen places top those lists that are awful. Idk how that stuff is cooked up but I’m real skeptical. 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’ve frequently seen places top those lists that are awful. Idk how that stuff is cooked up but I’m real skeptical. 

Forbes isn't exactly a prestigious name in modern day.   Anyone can write an article and upload it to the site so I don't think it holds much weight in what they list. 

17 hours ago, bearpants said:

I also wondered how he'd end up being classified. The real question is will he beat out Castillo and / or is  Castillo even in the plan? In theory the new player would come in on an ELC which would save some SMS. However it has impacts on the ratio both positive and negative. We'd gain back the DI spot that Castillo filled. We'd lose the Global spot currently used by Hansen.

I've lost track whether a team can roster 3 Globals. I believe that can be done but it also means you have to eliminate one import to offset that change. So you have an net impact of zero to the ratio across the board unless we find / use a Canadian DE as a back up ( Bennett ).

Is that a good thing or a bad thing, IDK. Castillo is a potential free agent and there is no guarantee he returns whether we want him or not. Not sure Hansen is returning either.

If Bede reaches free agency, I'd think it would be worth a discussion with him or his agent in the " tampering period ". Is his SMS hit higher or lower than Castillo. Noting that Bede can also punt which might be a consideration.

Didn't like the import kicker and global punter concept used in 2023 from both a ratio and performance point of view. Maybe we look at Liegghio as a punter if he reaches free agency.

Like everything else, ratio, and SMS are big questions.

Edited by Blue In BC

15 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Forbes is pay-to-place. And, companies pay to be on "Best Employers" lists. 

I really hope they find/draft/sign a normal traditional punter this year.
Just get a guy who can kick well directionally without the bouncy gimmick stuff and isn’t going to have a **** hemorrhage if it’s windy. 

1 hour ago, Sard said:

Yeah I’m not sure what the criteria for that list is, but there sure are some god-awful employers on there. 

1 hour ago, Blue In BC said:

I also wondered how he'd end up being classified. The real question is will he beat out Castillo and / or is  Castillo even in the plan? In theory the new player would come in on an ELC which would save some SMS. However it has impacts on the ratio both positive and negative. We'd gain back the DI spot that Castillo filled. We'd lose the Global spot currently used by Hansen.

I've lost track whether a team can roster 3 Globals. I believe that can be done but it also means you have to eliminate one import to offset that change. So you have an net impact of zero to the ratio across the board unless we find / use a Canadian DE as a back up ( Bennett ).

Is that a good thing or a bad thing, IDK. Castillo is a potential free agent and there is no guarantee he returns whether we want him or not. Not sure Hansen is returning either.

If Bede reaches free agency, I'd think it would be worth a discussion with him or his agent in the " tampering period ". Is his SMS hit higher or lower than Castillo. Noting that Bede can also punt which might be a consideration.

Didn't like the import kicker and global punter concept used in 2023 from both a ratio and performance point of view. Maybe we look at Liegghio as a punter if he reaches free agency.

Like everything else, ratio, and SMS are big questions.

Cutting Liegghio showed how serious O'Shea is about having a reliable FG kicker who can perform when the chips are down, it's a huge priority for this team and Castillo delivered.  Despite all the ratio implications it causes, I think they easily retain Castillo and work around the ratio once again, since there doesn't appear to be a Natl. FG kicker lined up to challenge him.  

24 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Huh, interesting take- how do you figure?

So, full disclosure, I didn't read the list so I don't know which services you're even talking about.

But taking a local example - why does MPI spend money on billboards and commercials when we have no choice but to go through them?

(And if I'm talking out of my butt here and this is completely different let me know).

Just now, Jesse said:

So, full disclosure, I didn't read the list so I don't know which services you're even talking about.

But taking a local example - why does MPI spend money on billboards and commercials when we have no choice but to go through them?

(And if I'm talking out of my butt here and this is completely different let me know).

It's a recruiting tool. So, GOM does, the Gov't Reporting Entities do, etc.