Grey Cup - Game Week Thread

Mark H.

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

It is very easy to see how this team could have been even better than it is. I don't love the constant complaining about it, but it is also impossible not to see what Booch and wbbfan are talking about. 

I wouldn’t have wanted to be better. 14-4 and having to play meaningful football late into the season is perfect. 

29 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I highly doubt the Bombers care much about this... but I got a kick out of the CFL writers splitting the prediction... I'm glad they did... please keep doubting the Bombers...

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/15/prediction-time-cfl-ca-writers-110th-grey-cup-picks/

the media is trying so hard to sell us on the Als being complete in all three phases.... I guess they're just completely ignored the offense for the past 2 months  

find it intresting/odd/funny in one the matchup advantage articles they gave the Als the DB advantage...even tho we as a defence gave up least points....least yards vs pass....and the least TD against versus the pass....

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

find it intresting/odd/funny in one the matchup advantage articles they gave the Als the DB advantage...even tho we as a defence gave up least points....least yards vs pass....and the least TD against versus the pass....

We have the best secondary in the league. BY FAR and it`s not even close.

Just now, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

This iteration of the Als, reminds me of the 2011 Bombers where the defense dragged the rest of the team kicking and screaming to the GC. 

2011 Bombers had a way better offence than the 2023 Als....but yea it was still the defence that dragged them to the GC.

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

I would have preferred 15-3, with a Labour Day win. 

I`ll take 14-4 with a loss against someone else other than the LD loss.

I just look at what we did to the Vaj....a qb with a way better skill-set...way better group of receivers, and a way better pocket presence and how he was discombobulated...lost and washed away in different levels of how the pressure came

Then I think to the Faj's career as a whole...where he looks utterly clueless.....has zero pocket presence, has 1 receiver who is fear worthy with MTL...and if we employ the same tactic, how he will look even worse, and with the disciplined rush we employed....how he is gonna spin and just blindly run into the second wave of the pass rush....could almost get comical

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

Quite honestly I think the Bombers defensive effort last week was more impressive than Montreal`s. I give Montreal full credit but they were the beneficiary of an epic QB meltdown and the giveaways (not takeaways) that came with that. We completely and utterly shut down a more potent BC offence for the entire game giving them virtually no opportunities to score, while sacking their QB 10 times. Montreal had zero sacks, and really not much pressure on CK. He just simply could not throw straight, SY standing upright, and had fumbleitis. VA just had nothing...and no chance. CK had opportunities and squandered them.

3 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I think that all changes, because the Als have a run game. 

That's easy enough to quash. Stanback is not a top rusher in this league any longer. Contain Faj and make him beat you with his arm. 

And, if Faj can beat you with his arm, you have a new bestie. 

flirty-eyes.gif

4 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I think that all changes, because the Als have a run game. 

yeah....better than BC but middle of the pack for the season....so I not too concerned with their run game....and if we get up early...they will totally abandon it and put it all on the Faj's shoulders....which plays right into our hands

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

That's easy enough to quash. Stanback is not a top rusher in this league any longer. Contain Faj and make him beat you with his arm. 

flirty-eyes.gif

I love this matchup for us. He simply cannot make those cross field throws. Our D is going to make life miserable for Cody and he’s not going to get the benefit of 9 turnovers against us. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

flirty-eyes.gif

If the FAJ beats us with passing fro the pocket...we dropped an even bigger deuce than the Argo's....and would be an embarrasment

probably be a low score game...*

The only way the Als can win is by turnovers, and field position/special teams scores.

hard to say with chad's awful performance if their defence is as formidable as it looks.

I think Buck/Zach  need to be a bit  better than last game.

stanback does not look as good as he once was. their O line is dodgy.

need to figure out how to block maciocia smug little mug on tv screen.

* peering into future, final score 52 bomber 51 als.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

I love this matchup for us. He simply cannot make those cross field throws. Our D is going to make life miserable for Cody and he’s not going to get the benefit of 9 turnovers against us. 

yup....they got 21 points from the defence and a kick return....and a late meaningless td after the game was in the bag....The Faj did nothing to make any team fear him....and we have been in his head now for a good 3 seasons....that hasnt and wont change...I expect classic Rider QB performance from him....especially with being sacked 61 times this yr....their oline is weak.....in front of a weak QB ...mentally and skill wise

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

probably be a low score game...

The only way the Als can win is by turnovers, and field position/special teams scores.

hard to say with chad's awful performance if their defence is as formidable as it looks.

I think Buck/Zach  need to be a bit  better than last game.

stanback does not look as good as he once was. their O line is dodgy.

need to figure out how to block maciocia smug little mug on tv screen.

I think this is the game Grant goes off too, and gets us a Teams TD...

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup....they got 21 points from the defence and a kick return....and a late meaningless td after the game was in the bag....The Faj did nothing to make any team fear him....and we have been in his head now for a good 3 seasons....that hasnt and wont change...I expect classic Rider QB performance from him....especially with being sacked 61 times this yr....their oline is weak.....in front of a weak QB ...mentally and skill wise

I think this is the game Grant goes off too, and gets us a Teams TD...

If CK just eliminates the turnovers that were unforced, and follows his blockers on SY the Argos win that game, Simple as that. Fajardo and the offence contributed nothing to that win.

5 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

If the Bombers play exactly as they did against BC they should win. No turnovers, safe offense. Limit special teams big plays against. 

Realistically the Als need some turnovers or big plays on teams to win.  If they don't get that and it's all on Cody, shouldn't have a hope in hell.

For sure. The ONLY path to victory for the Als is if the Bombers hand them the game. We don`t need to do anything special, just allow no cheap turnovers or big plays and we will win easily and comfortably.

Edited by GCn20

31 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

This iteration of the Als, reminds me of the 2011 Bombers where the defense dragged the rest of the team kicking and screaming to the GC. 

I had the exact same thought the other day. 

Pierce was better than Fajardo- but other than that. 

4 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

If the Bombers play exactly as they did against BC they should win. No turnovers, safe offense. Limit special teams big plays against. 

Realistically the Als need some turnovers or big plays on teams to win.  If they don't get that and it's all on Cody, shouldn't have a hope in hell.

The longer they hang around, the more dangerous they will become, similar to how the Argo EF game went.
Again, treat this like a business trip, quickly sap any confidence they may have in winning this game by quickly dictating the tone in all three phases, do not take the foot off the gas until final whistle. Then enjoy the celebration.

12 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Don't get cute. Just dominate on both sides of the ball and hope special teams play well. 

I'm not saying the Bombers are going to win by more than 20 points, but I am convinced that it's going to feel like a 20 point margin for most of the game.  I expect 5-8 knockdowns by the front 7 to go along with 5-10 sacks.

I've never been more confident of a victory than I am this week and I don't expect to be genuinely concerned that the Bombers won't win at any point in this game.

This is a mismatch.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

I'm not saying the Bombers are going to win by more than 20 points, but I am convinced that it's going to feel like a 20 point margin for most of the game.  I expect 5-8 knockdowns by the front 7 to go along with 5-10 sacks.

I've never been more confident of a victory than I am this week and I don't expect to be genuinely concerned that the Bombers won't win at any point in this game.

This is a mismatch.

Dear football gods,

What he means to say is, oh forget it, he’s right we should crush them. 

But do please have mercy on our souls.

amen.

Just now, Dodge and Burn said:

The Al's defense with Lemon and Sankey are a different beast. 

Its gonna be a slugfest in the trenches

Sankey is easily exploited.....and was one of the most over rated defenders seen in some time in the CFL....and I not too concerned with Lemon terrorizing us with our tackles, and how our receivers eliminate the ends on a lot of our schemes