Winnipeg Versus the Ponies Aka Battle of the Reserves GDT

rebusrankin

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Brown easily kept is wishful thinking. He's not looking to make 200k next year, could be in line to almost double that imo...

I can't remember if it was on here or twitter. But someone compared Reillys stats when he was becoming a FA out of BC, to Browns. And Browns are significantly better. The league has a shortage of quality qbs and Browns agent will absolutely be looking for a pay day. 

If the Bombers somehow manage to keep him it will be the steal of this century.

Money aside, can Zach tell Dru with 100% confidence that he’s going to retire in 2 years? He’s already made that decision?

And even if that was a guarantee, Dru would just stagnate in the bench and this point. He needs his next challenge if he wants to keep growing.

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Money aside, can Zach tell Dru with 100% confidence that he’s going to retire in 2 years? He’s already made that decision?

And even if that was a guarantee, Dru would just stagnate in the bench and this point. He needs his next challenge if he wants to keep growing.

Yeah it makes zero sense financially and physically for him to stay here. I'd love it, don't get me wrong....but I think people are being a bit delusional in their thought process. Like everyone he's 1 snap away from never playing again....go get that bag young man!!

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah it makes zero sense financially and physically for him to stay here. I'd love it, don't get me wrong....but I think people are being a bit delusional in their thought process. Like everyone he's 1 snap away from never playing again....go get that bag young man!!

It will definitely be a tough decision from both sides...player and team

He also has to look at tho that he has been on same team...same system...same process..same coaches and most importantly same players for 3 straight yrs as well...Thats a huge part of his success, and sometimes, as seen before moving to a whole new system, team and group of players doesn't always translate over very well

Also needs to factor in the $3400 for finishing first...$3400 for participating in the WSF if not first...$3600 for WF participation $8000 for going to Grey Cup and possible $16 000 if you win it

Going to a dumpster fire of a team, with issues just not at QB would be basically a good bet kissing that money goodbye as well....or a good portion of it

1 minute ago, Booch said:

It will definitely be a tough decision from both sides...player and team

He also has to look at tho that he has been on same team...same system...same process..same coaches and most importantly same players for 3 straight yrs as well...Thats a huge part of his success, and sometimes, as seen before moving to a whole new system, team and group of players doesn't always translate over very well

Also needs to factor in the $3400 for finishing first...$3400 for participating in the WSF if not first...$3600 for WF participation $8000 for going to Grey Cup and possible $16 000 if you win it

Going to a dumpster fire of a team, with issues just not at QB would be basically a good bet kissing that money goodbye as well....or a good portion of it

Mtl and cgy aren't what I would call dumpster fire teams. They're close...mtl could be a really solid team with a qb that is even decent. Ssk will be looking for someone to build around and would be insane to choose Harris over Brown.

And sure systems help...there's no saying what his next teams system will be and that it wouldn't incorporate things he's been good at here.

And again, and extra 16,000 is nice, but I genuinely think he'd then be picking between 16k in playoff money or an extra 200k in salary. And there's no choice to be made there.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Mtl and cgy aren't what I would call dumpster fire teams. They're close...mtl could be a really solid team with a qb that is even decent. Ssk will be looking for someone to build around and would be insane to choose Harris over Brown.

And sure systems help...there's no saying what his next teams system will be and that it wouldn't incorporate things he's been good at here.

And again, and extra 16,000 is nice, but I genuinely think he'd then be picking between 16k in playoff money or an extra 200k in salary. And there's no choice to be made there.

well...would be 23k for a first place finish and win...but I get what u saying

I was thinking more if Ott went hard....Or Sask....some serious flaws there and especially in Sask would be running for his life, and don't really have a ground game to rely on,

Cgy is kinda tied to Mcheese with guaranteed money are they not?...so I doubt Dickie moves on...and Mtl could be a destination....but Mass seems to like the faj....

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Brown is going to get paid this offseason for sure. We can always bring him home in 2 or 3 years once ZC retires. He'd likely jump at the chance. 

If Dru establishes himself as the “face of a franchise” why would he consider leaving that organization to come back here?  That’s wishful thinking more than anything.

11 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

If Dru establishes himself as the “face of a franchise” why would he consider leaving that organization to come back here?  That’s wishful thinking more than anything.

Because he likes it here and our franchise is the gold standard of the CFL. Great players leave their teams all the time via FA.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not to put this out into the universe, but .....what if Buck gets the HC gig next door and takes DB06 (and God knows who else ..) with him......?

*shudder*

With the help of a time machine?

Buck won't be going anywhere. You can take that to the bank

Opening bid for Brown as a free agent is 450k per season for 3 years (some portion of that being roster and performance bonuses) with 250k guaranteed.  Bombers will probably be able to squeeze some conditional picks out of teams to beat the market.

What he ends up at will just be a matter of how desperate front offices and new coaches in Sask, Ottawa, potentially Hamilton are.  How desperate Calgary is to get back toward the top of the table.  How desperate BC is to finally get over the hump with a legit CFL QB.  Montreal and Edmonton will kick tires but I doubt Brown will be interested due to their coaching staffs. 

And where Brown wants to play/live will be a huge factor.

The only way he ends up back here is if something changes with Zach between now and January.

13 minutes ago, bustamente said:

If we lose to whoever comes here for the West final and ZC stinks the joint out then the Bombers have some thinking to do, stay with the grizzled vet who showed some warts this year or go with the unproven yet supposed future star in the CFL

I'm coming from the perspective of, we're likely to be heading for our 4th consecutive Grey Cup appearance and you're gonna go with an unproven starter at QB?

Bailing on the guy who dragged you to each one?

After Buck Pierce left the bombers in 2013 the qb position had been a helluva problem for the team. Things started to turn with Nichols arriving and playoffs became a reality again. Streveler was found and fans got excited. Nichols got hurt and the Collaros comeback story lifted the team to the Cup. Seemed #8 wasn’t as fragile as many believed as the franchise produced on the field and financially. Streveler decided what was best for him was to try the nfl. He gets replaced by Brown that grew into a pretty darn good second stringer, dynamically throwing 9 tds this year and zero interceptions, some kind of record. Highlights include an incredibly poised come from behind victory against the antlers, after Zach was sidelined.

Is Brown a product of a unique system with a remarkable edge in recruiting and development?
Can it be replicated if Brown leaves?  
Or have the Bombers been lucky as hell which means we’ll be screwed with having to start over at qb if Collaros can’t continue but Brown has left?