Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

15 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Ambles is probably this year's Norman Roosevelt, brought in to spend the rest of the season on the PR, than released. The Stamps picked him up in Aug. dressed him for 4 games and released him, after he went 15/23 for 193 yds.  So whatever ability they thought he had earlier in his career may no longer be relevant.

he was brought in when Odums Dukes got hurt, and another guy..name escapes me...but when they were healthy...he was no longer needed

14 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Ambles is probably this year's Norman Roosevelt, brought in to spend the rest of the season on the PR, then released. The Stamps picked him up in Aug. dressed him for 4 games and released him, after he went 15/23 for 193 yds.  So whatever ability they thought he had earlier in his career may no longer be relevant.

Ambles is an insurance policy, and a pretty good one for the price. I don't foresee him hitting the field unless things go from bad to worse in our receiving corps injuries. Nice option to have, should fit our room well also. These are exactly the type of moves a really good GM does near playoff time when depth at some areas is questionable. 

Edited by GCn20

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Ambles is an insurance policy, and a pretty good one for the price. I don't foresee him hitting the field unless things go from bad to worse in our receiving corps injuries. Nice option to have, should fit our room well also. These are exactly the type of moves a really good GM does near playoff time when depth at some areas is questionable. 

yup....the smart move was to bring a guy in (ambles) with experience, and bring a guy back Blackmon....with limited experience but knows the CFL game now. 2 weeks before to get fully acclimated to team/system, just in case, as opposed to scrambling the week of, and having to plug in a virtually unprepared guy...

Lots of interesting stuff here: https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/10/31/statistical-year-in-review/

Big one that jumped out to me 

100/955

Winnipeg was penalized 100 times in the regular season for 955 yards, fewest in the CFL.

And here’s the number that just reinforces how disciplined this team is – over the last five seasons, 2017-23, the Blue Bombers have been the least penalized team in the league EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

4 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Lots of interesting stuff here: https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/10/31/statistical-year-in-review/

100/955

Winnipeg was penalized 100 times in the regular season for 955 yards, fewest in the CFL.

And here’s the number that just reinforces how disciplined this team is – over the last five seasons, 2017-23, the Blue Bombers have been the least penalized team in the league EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

Speaks to coaching.

For all his perceived flaws, O'Shea has consistently fielded a disciplined and mindful team - they don't hurt themselves with stupid, selfish penalties.

5 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

100/955

but according to RFans...its a conspiracy...and refs favour us hahaha

Could never be a case of reputation preceding you tho.....much like their undisciplined bottom of the league mark

Just now, voodoochylde said:

Speaks to coaching.

For all his perceived flaws, O'Shea has consistently fielded a disciplined and mindful team - they don't hurt themselves with stupid, selfish penalties.

lot of that goes to vets in locker room setting the cuture and how to go about things on and off field more than anything....But also Walters and Osh bringing in, and keeping the character guys too

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Could never be a case of reputation preceding you tho.....much like their undisciplined bottom of the league mark

lot of that goes to vets in locker room setting the cuture and how to go about things on and off field more than anything....But also Walters and Osh bringing in, and keeping the character guys too

And it might speak to why we passed on SOME of those players we've brought in - they didn't mesh with the locker room .. they were undisciplined or selfish or just not "getting it".

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

lot of that goes to vets in locker room setting the culture and how to go about things on and off field more than anything....But also Walters and Osh bringing in, and keeping the character guys too

It's funny how the league always decides to favour the teams that are already good...

37 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

100/955

"******* refs let them get away with everything" 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

"******* refs let them get away with everything" 

Bighill makes dirty hit every single play, and our OL, ALL 5 OF THEM, are holding on every play. We should have 992 penalties for 8000 yards in penalties this season but the fix is in because Ambrosie lived in Winnipeg a long time ago.

Signed, Riderfans

49 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

100/955

Talk about roster management all you want but this is really where O’Shea shines. This is an incredible achievement, and really this is the difference in sone of those tight games, staying disciplined, and not taking bad penalties. I’ve seen very few stupid, and retaliation penalties on the Blue Bombers since Mike O’Shea has been head coach. 

20 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Talk about roster management all you want but this is really where O’Shea shines. This is an incredible achievement, and really this is the difference in sone of those tight games, staying disciplined, and not taking bad penalties. I’ve seen very few stupid, and retaliation penalties on the Blue Bombers since Mike O’Shea has been head coach. 

The locker room does that but MOS is responsible for empowering the players to police themselves. He asked them all to be accountable to each other and recognized who the leaders were in that room and gave them carte blanche to lead. Believe it or not, a lot of head coaches get very threatened by that.

Edited by GCn20

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The locker room does that but MOS is responsible for empowering the players to police themselves. He asked them all to be accountable to each other and recognized who the leaders were in that room and gave them carte blanche to lead. Believe it or not, a lot of head coaches get very threatened by that.

That's where the benefits of a former player not too removed from playing really helps...he can get a good gauge thru his vets that they put in place as to when they need some 'coaching"

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

That's where the benefits of a former player not too removed from playing really helps...he can get a good gauge thru his vets that they put in place as to when they need some 'coaching"

Absolutely, having a former player who played the game the right way is even more helpful. MOS would die for his team mates when he played and that's the kind of guy any team should want coaching.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Bighill makes dirty hit every single play, and our OL, ALL 5 OF THEM, are holding on every play. We should have 992 penalties for 8000 yards in penalties this season but the fix is in because Ambrosie lived in Winnipeg a long time ago.

Signed, Riderfans

And the Bombers receivers are 5 yards offside on every play.

Also Jedfcoat hit a QB with his helmet 5 years ago and there wasnt a penalty! WHATABOUTTHAT!

56 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Absolutely, having a former player who played the game the right way is even more helpful. MOS would die for his team mates when he played and that's the kind of guy any team should want coaching.

correct....tho I find it interesting being that Osh played on the edge and many many times went across it....some would consider that not the right way....But I do....and saw first hand how he went about it under the radar....one of the reasons I love him as a coach,

Like an old coach of mine said...when in the chase and hurdling over bodies....kick a guy in the ribs on the way over...let em know your there...and if you see a hand on ground in front of you it's okay to step on it.....I loved it

10 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

And the Bombers receivers are 5 yards offside on every play.

Also Jedfcoat hit a QB with his helmet 5 years ago and there wasnt a penalty! WHATABOUTTHAT!

Jeffcoat should have been Marino'd a long time ago out of this league, and Bomber receivers are already standing down field when the play is blown in....yea...I think Migs said that a time or two.