CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Lol yeah I’m beyond fried rn. 
 21 bombers could take both teams in the gc at once though lol. 

I think the same is true of plop tbh. Great player coaches. Not great game managers or in game decision/adjustment guys. Plop has a better ability to put together a play book. 
Khari needs to stick as a qb coach under a good oc for a while. And nothing wrong with being a qb coach long term. 

I see LaPo the opposite way. Strong co-ordinator, problems as a head coach. His record as both bears that out. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Lol yeah I’m beyond fried rn. 
 21 bombers could take both teams in the gc at once though lol. 

I think the same is true of plop tbh. Great player coaches. Not great game managers or in game decision/adjustment guys. Plop has a better ability to put together a play book. 
Khari needs to stick as a qb coach under a good oc for a while. And nothing wrong with being a qb coach long term. 

Hard to go back to being a position coach when you've called the plays or were the Man In Charge. Then there's the pay. Jones could probably work outside football & make more than a QB Coach in the CFL. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hard to go back to being a position coach when you've called the plays or were the Man In Charge. Then there's the pay. Jones could probably work outside football & make more than a QB Coach in the CFL. 

He still doing the acting thing.... just recently saw him in a drug commercial...he was a truck driver haha

I believe Khari has a degree in theatre. He could be an analyst on TSN. Get rid of that arrogant knowitall & sanctimonius Davis Sanchez. Get rid of Kate & bring in Matthew Scianetti as host. Overhaul that panel. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

He still doing the acting thing.... just recently saw him in a drug commercial...he was a truck driver haha

My son was talking to Khari on Instagram about that. They both had a good laugh about it. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I see LaPo the opposite way. Strong co-ordinator, problems as a head coach. His record as both bears that out. 

His problem as a head coach is that he is also the offensive coordinator.  

If i could choose him for one role it would be head coach and keep him the hell away from playcalling.

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

His problem as a head coach is that he is also the offensive coordinator.  

If i could choose him for one role it would be head coach and keep him the hell away from playcalling.

With Lapo, it seems like his coaching style hit its prime in the mid-2000s. His playcalling and strategies haven't quite kept pace with the game's evolution in the last decade. To be perfectly frank, I wasn't overly impressed by his role as an offensive coordinator here or his stint as a head coach in Ottawa. It's become evident that his true calling might just be at TSN, and I hope he finds his long-term place there.

7 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

With Lapo, it seems like his coaching style hit its prime in the mid-2000s. His playcalling and strategies haven't quite kept pace with the game's evolution in the last decade. To be perfectly frank, I wasn't overly impressed by his role as an offensive coordinator here or his stint as a head coach in Ottawa. It's become evident that his true calling might just be at TSN, and I hope he finds his long-term place there.

In 02/03 everyone was screaming for khari to call the plays himself. So nothing has changed. 

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't know if this is Steinauer's year end review, but from the sound of it he's not going anywhere and neither is BLM.

I wouldn't be so sure. He had very similar things to say about Dane Evans before trading him.

Orlondo after last season:

Dane’s under contract with us and we’ve had conversations long since we’ve acquired the rights (to Mitchell),” Steinauer said in January. “Right now, Dane’s a Hamilton Tiger-Cat and the next steps will be determined in the near future.”

Orlondo after this season:

Bo’s a Ticat right now. He’s under contract. The way things worked out this year, it wasn’t ideal for anybody, including Bo,” said Steinauer. “But we didn’t sign Bo to a one-year deal, right? So, Bo’s a Ticat and that’s what it is right now.”

On 2023-11-05 at 1:16 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

True. But that’s the life of a coach in football. Tons of coaches who are more successful are fired every year or two in hs and college in the us. 

On 2023-11-05 at 1:18 PM, Booch said:

Oh boy. I love the guy but his acting is rough. He’s no Robert Gordon lol. 

48 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't know if this is Steinauer's year end review, but from the sound of it he's not going anywhere and neither is BLM.

This coaching cap has just created job security for more assclowns like the CFL has never seen. Coaches are just saying **** You to fans & doing whatever they want knowing they have 3 years to destroy a team & its fanbase. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This coaching cap has just created job security for more assclowns like the CFL has never seen. Coaches are just saying **** You to fans & doing whatever they want knowing they have 3 years to destroy a team & its fanbase. 

Did you watch the EDSF last Saturday, BigBlue204? Steinhauer played Matthew Schilz for 3 1/2 quarters???  Powell not even dressed. Only put in Mitchell with under 7 minutes left in the game with the Ti Cats hopelessly behind. The Ti Cat fanbase aren't very happy on social media with Steinhauer & wany him gone. He coached the playoff game like he knew no matter what happened, he'd be back. Orlando talks a great game but there have been absolutely no results with him as HC.

We smashed his CFL "Super Team," in the mouth twice in 2019 & 21 & they crumbled like a stale cookie. The Ti cats couldn't adapt to our physicality. I'm sure Orlondo was proud of those teams as well. Since then, the Cats have been on a steady downslide. They aren't even close to what they were 2 years ago. 

Since 2021, instead of getting better, the Cats are now getting worse. Steinhauer signed an over the hill Bo Levi Mitchell to a long term $500,000 a year contract. Orlondo talks a good game but it's about results. It's coming up to a quarter century from their last GC win. Patience is wearing thin & Ti Cat fans are demanding results. From what I've read on facebook. X & Instagram, I think Hamilton fans wanted something done & it's not going to happen. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Did you watch the EDSF last Saturday, BigBlue204? Steinhauer played Matthew Schilz for 3 1/2 quarters???  Powell not even dressed. Only put in Mitchell with under 7 minutes left in the game with the Ti Cats hopelessly behind. The Ti Cat fanbase aren't very happy on social media with Steinhauer & wany him gone. He coached the playoff game like he knew no matter what happened, he'd be back. Orlando talks a great game but there have been absolutely no results with him as HC.

We smashed his CFL "Super Team," in the mouth twice in 2019 & 21 & they crumbled like a stale cookie. The Ti cats couldn't adapt to our physicality. I'm sure Orlondo was proud of those teams as well. Since then, the Cats have been on a steady downslide. They aren't even close to what they were 2 years ago. 

Since 2021, instead of getting better, the Cats are now getting worse. Steinhauer signed an over the hill Bo Levi Mitchell to a long term $500,000 a year contract. Orlondo talks a good game but it's about results. It's coming up to a quarter century from their last GC win. Patience is wearing thin & Ti Cat fans are demanding results. From what I've read on facebook. X & Instagram, I think Hamilton fans wanted something done & it's not going to happen. 

Ticats fans have every right to be unhappy. When a team is awful in a Grey Cup hosting year heads should roll.

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The front office salary cap has really hurt the league. It needs a heavy overhaul in the off season. 
 It’s great when a guy like Ringmaiden goes from one team to another in a higher role and excels. That happening a couple times a generation drastically improves the football in the league. But when you crunch the pay you make it really really hard to get/have/keep the next Ringmaiden and develop him. And even more so with scouts. 
 Teams suck at scouting each other these days. And they struggle to scout across the us as it’s such a huge market with soo many leagues and levels. Juco scouting has fallen off a cliff. So has xfl/usfl/spring etc league scouting. 
 It also hurts as teams struggle to keep up with blue chip guys who are multi year nl projects. 

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Ticats fans have every right to be unhappy. When a team is awful in a Grey Cup hosting year heads should roll.

I like coach O. I hope he stays in the cfl. But some times it just doesn’t work out and the guy who takes you to the dance can’t win it. The ticats need a culture change and a flush of the old. They don’t even need a full on rebuild talent wise, they just need to get rid of the old cats and go young. 
 I wouldn’t mind cryin Dave leaving Calgary and going to ham. Actually might be good if both cal and ham switched hcs. 

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

except in SASK....U let em suck an additional yr.....then only partly roll the heads to ensure future suck

Lol right. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Did you watch the EDSF last Saturday, BigBlue204? Steinhauer played Matthew Schilz for 3 1/2 quarters???   

I thought he would have started. But when  he came in he looked as awful as ever. He sucks. That's why he didn't play. If you think any professional coach does things in game, especially a playoff game to stick it to the fans....im not even sure where to go with this conversation. You're living in a dream land.

And I'm not even defending the coaches cap. I'm 100% disagreeing with the notion that coaches will purposefully tank their team because "they know they'll be back". There are adjectives I'd use to describe that kind of.thinking, but I don't want to set you off on another tangent.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I like coach O. I hope he stays in the cfl. But some times it just doesn’t work out and the guy who takes you to the dance can’t win it. The ticats need a culture change and a flush of the old. 

Rich Stubler was a top tier DC who failed as a HC and then after a change of scenery had a second act as a very effective DC.

Richie Hall was a top tier DC who failed as a HC and then after a change in scenery had a second act as a very effective DC.

ORlondo Steinauer was a top tier DC who has failed as a HC...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

45 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I thought he would have started. But when  he came in he looked as awful as ever. He sucks. That's why he didn't play. If you think any professional coach does things in game, especially a playoff game to stick it to the fans....im not even sure where to go with this conversation. You're living in a dream land.

And I'm not even defending the coaches cap. I'm 100% disagreeing with the notion that coaches will purposefully tank their team because "they know they'll be back". There are adjectives I'd use to describe that kind of.thinking, but I don't want to set you off on another tangent.

I agree they should have given Bo the start and let him know early in the week they were doing so to get the best out of him, throwing him into a game that's already over isn't going to lead to a heroic performance when he's stewing on the sidelines feeling he's wasting his time.  Schiltz is also much better coming off the bench because it takes the pressure off him as a starter. 

I get that Steinauer is a nice guy, but I don't think he brings the fear factor or respect a coach like O'Shea carries, he's too diplomatic and wants to be liked by everyone.

5 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I get that Steinauer is a nice guy, but I don't think he brings the fear factor or respect a coach like O'Shea carries, he's too diplomatic and wants to be liked by everyone.

The cat's will never have a winner with this guy at the helm.....in 2 positions....The 'caretaker' is blind if he thinks there's ever going to be success with Steinauer....The saying that 'nice guys finish last' is never more truer, when you have Orlando in a CFL conversation

55 minutes ago, bluto said:

Rich Stubler was a top tier DC who failed as a HC and then after a change of scenery had a second act as a very effective DC.

Richie Hall was a top tier DC who failed as a HC and then after a change in scenery had a second act as a very effective DC.

"**** those guys. I'll show 'em how it's done. - T. Burke

1 hour ago, bluto said:

You’re missing something.

Argos suck.

2 hours ago, bluto said:

ORlondo Steinauer was a top tier DC who has failed as a HC

Did he really fail though? When he had decent quarterbacking his teams were good, when saddled with just a mentally broken Dane Evans, or busted shoulder can't throw anymore Bo Levi Mitchell it was rough. Same story anywhere in the cfl. You get good qb play you win games, you don't and you lose.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Did he really fail though? When he had decent quarterbacking his teams were good, when saddled with just a mentally broken Dane Evans, or busted shoulder can't throw anymore Bo Levi Mitchell it was rough. Same story anywhere in the cfl. You get good qb play you win games, you don't and you lose.

imo, yes. I've watched all of their games (for I his entire tenure, I think), he is not the guy who has his team ready, prepared and gameplanned. And worse, he seems to have regressed as he went along. I cited the Peter Principle because I really see it in this case.