CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

5 hours ago, bluto said:

Lots of my fellow Argo fans' favorite topic of discussion is slamming the Argos owners MLSE and their general indifference to the fact that they own the most historic and successful football club in North America.

I see it a different way. Their indifference has allowed the man who is most passionate about our club to build and staff it entirely how he sees it. This has worked PDG.

And (this is the big one) speaking for myself, I love this club. But I am not willing to lose a Million or two every year for the privilege of owning it. MLSE on the other hand displays what can only be described as general apathy towards the TAFC... but they don't seem to mind taking a few Milly as a loss. Could have something to do with one of their owners being a media company which is important to the CFL... could be because another of their owners is a media company which is locked in mortal combat with the other one. Frankly, I don't give a quantum of a damn. Just pleased to see the Scullers keep on Pulling Together.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear why I went off on what may appear tangential to what was being discussed, it is because talking about the precise number of bums in seats at BMO which would constitute the break-even point is a red herring. 

there are lots kicking around there??...lol

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

There is nothing good about indifferent ownership. Nothing. Not in a league like the CFL. A strong performing Argos franchise, not just on the field, is essential to league survival. There is more at stake than how many millys the MLSE is willing to take. Not when league survival needs a fan base, which is non-existent, in it's biggest centre. Like all things Toronto, you cannot see past your self declared centre of the universe. Our league survives on TV contracts, advertising, and corporate sponsorship. Without Toronto, BC, and Montreal having strong fan bases this league will struggle to survive. Luckily there is good ownership now in 2 out of the 3. 

Toronto should be absolutely embarrassed as a city that they have a very strong Argos team that can't draw flies. That's not all on ownership. No wonder the NFL wants no part of the city.

I bet if you took a poll you'd find 80% of T.O.'s 3 mil. population is not interested or affluent enough to attend any sporting events regularly.  They may watch some sports on TV as cheap entertainment filler but that falls well below being invested enough to actually buy a ticket, support a team and attend a live event.  The majority of people nowadays are indifferent and occupied with many other things, and sports is nothing more than a niche segment of the entertainment industry.  The majority of hardcore sports fanatics were created in a different era.

9 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I bet if you took a poll you'd find 80% of T.O.'s 3 mil. population is not interested or affluent enough to attend any sporting events regularly.  They may watch some sports on TV as cheap entertainment filler but that falls well below being invested enough to actually buy a ticket, support a team and attend a live event.  The majority of people nowadays are indifferent and occupied with many other things, and sports is nothing more than a niche segment of the entertainment industry.  The majority of hardcore sports fanatics were created in a different era.

For sure. Those million dollar mortgages don't leave a lot of time or money left over and TO is absolutely awful in both regards for attending a game.

5 hours ago, bluto said:

On another note: was looking at the standings an schedules... Am I correct in saying that if our backups beat Saskatchewan this week and BC beats Calgary... does that set up a last weekend where Winnipeg will be playing it's equipment managers and waterboys against a Stampeder team who can win its way into the playoffs?

Imagine the howls from the rectangle...

Amazingly, Sask basically just needed to win one game down the stretch... and they might fail at that... 

5 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

So... you're telling me that the riders needed just ONE win after the LDC to get into the playoffs... and the door looks to be closing?

Ouch.

well the one win scenario would've had to have been against Calgary... but basically, yes... 

10 minutes ago, bluto said:

Maybe it'll be a fun game on Saturday after all? Colour me intrigued.

Fun/Entertaining for all the wrong reasons...

That argo front 7 is going to eat the collective faces of that rider O... Jeffery the OC hasn't shown that he can scheme against a tough front 4, I don't see that changing this Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

They had a list of potential OCs last year too. Got turned down by every one of them.

that was a bit different because the coordinators knew that the coach and GM didn't have contracts, so they didn't want to get into that situation. Potential HC/GMs will be given extended contracts so at least there's some stability. They'll, in theory, be able to hire some better people this time around. Just a matter of whether or not they do it right or **** it up again.... here's hoping for a colossal **** up!