CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

19 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No every good coordinator, or even great coordinator, makes a good HC. The list of guys who were fantastic as a coordinator but epic failure as a HC is very long. Others can go from ST coach to legend....it really isn't about how great a coordinator you are. HC and coordinator are two different skill sets.

So, how else would one know if a particular person is going to be a good HC except by putting them into that position?

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

So, how else would one know if a particular person is going to be a good HC except by putting them into that position?

Well the people hiring should know this person's track record is and whether they possess the qualities required to be a head coach. Same as anything really. Not everyone is a straight shooter with upper management potential. Some people are just better off being lower on the totem pole.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Well the people hiring should know this person's track record is and whether they possess the qualities required to be a head coach. Same as anything really. Not everyone is a straight shooter with upper management potential. Some people are just better off being lower on the totem pole.

Agreed.  I was assuming that the candidate had the  experience and qualities that would indicate that they MIGHT be a good HC, but you won't know until they're doing that job.

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Carr did have an impact here. Winnipeg is NOT where his career took a nose dive. We lost him in FA.

Let's face it, this was a make or break year for him. He isn't a spring chicken. Therefore, I agree that he may have asked for his release. 

My weakness as a fan is tall WR’s. If a guys 6”6 he should lead the league in receiving every year and that’s that. 

44 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yep, don't have to look much further than Bobby Dyce for a current example.  His many years a positional coach and coordinator has not translated to much success as HC (as of yet anyhow).

No argument there but thanks for ruining my Friday by reminding me of the Burke era... I try to completely block that from memory! 😂

Exhuming repressed memories and traumas are my specialty- ask my kids.

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Kamau Peterson when he used to post on bomber message boards "when you're 6'4 you're always open"

Yep, especially vs cfl dbs who are a bit shorter than nfl dbs. 
 Too bad K9 instantly had hands like Chris walby when he came here. And had guys throwing him the ball that made Dru brown look like Zach collaros. 
 Great dude, wonder what he’s up to now. He’d be a good one to be involved with cfl media/coverage. 3dn Writing, radio, even tv would be great. 
3dn should really go after some guys like that and Doug brown to write regular articles. The quality would explode instantly. 

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yep, especially vs cfl dbs who are a bit shorter than nfl dbs. 
 Too bad K9 instantly had hands like Chris walby when he came here. And had guys throwing him the ball that made Dru brown look like Zach collaros. 
 Great dude, wonder what he’s up to now. He’d be a good one to be involved with cfl media/coverage. 3dn Writing, radio, even tv would be great. 
3dn should really go after some guys like that and Doug brown to write regular articles. The quality would explode instantly. 

I remember KP telling my son to play as many sports as possible even if football is his fave sport. It was simple yet sound advice. My son playing competitive soccer really helped enhance his footwork in football.

9 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Agreed.  I was assuming that the candidate had the  experience and qualities that would indicate that they MIGHT be a good HC, but you won't know until they're doing that job.

Yea it's not easy. Look at our list of coaches before MOS. All came with a solid resume. All in over their heads.

On 2023-10-12 at 9:06 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

50 yr old stadium built with athletic games in mind. Time for a new one.

Surely you jest.  No football stadiums are going to be built in Alberta. Period. The Esks had a perfect sized stadium when the CWG were held in 1978 at 42,000. They should have left the stadium alone. The World University games were held twice afterwards in Edmonton & foolishly they expanded CWS to 59,000. They should demolish a portion of both upper decks to bring capacity down to 40,000. Engineering wise, I don't even know if that's possible. Just a thought.

14 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

My weakness as a fan is tall WR’s. If a guys 6”6 he should lead the league in receiving every year and that’s that. 

I'll take the guy who keeps getting open even if he's 5'6. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27