CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Hard not to argue with this....Mtl as well has better depth, and better coaches...If Sask is to win this...it will be a shortened game like they eeeked a win a few yrs agoi due to weather....Or they get the luckiest bounces and fluke out a win they didnt earn...If the FAJ actually just stays in his lane and not try to do too much....and doesnt try and be something he isn't...I can see them cruising to a win

There is always the chance that Montreal just poops the bed and plays a really bad game as well, but if Montreal is playing as it has been and the Riders play as they have been this game should be a pretty easy Montreal victory.

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Sterns looked good in his one game and is likely a lot cheaper. They've also gotten good production from Bane and Jones.

For sure. I was really surprised when they signed Walker in the first place. He looked done last year. Definitely is a no-brainer to keep their young guys.

On 2023-08-08 at 7:40 AM, Booch said:

if Sask was smart....which is pretty evident based on a whole pile of things they are not, they would bring him in there, even if as just an offensive consultant....as Jeffrey's is so out of his league it's not even funny

He could very well be the Riders HC next season. I think the Craig Dickenson & Jeremy O'Day era is coming to an end after this season. QB injuries & offensive line issues not being addressed will be the end of both men with the Riders.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

CoFaj is getting protection like he could only dream about in Saskatchewan. That doesn't make him a good QB, but he is better than a basically rookie QB behind a swiss cheese OL. I give the O advantage to Montreal, I give the D advantage to Montreal, I give the homefield advantage to Montreal. Your team is going to have to play over it's head to win. I know the Ottawa win has a lot of Rider fans feeling optimistic....they shouldn't. They are not a very good ball club.

Gee, you must’ve really been down in the dumps when the Bombers lost to Ottawa then ;) 

The Rider D actually statistically is top 2 in quite a few categories. I realize that with Fajardo no longer being a Rider, he’s not as despised around these parts, but lets not pretend he’s all of a sudden a difference maker.

7 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Gee, you must’ve really been down in the dumps when the Bombers lost to Ottawa then ;) 

The Rider D actually statistically is top 2 in quite a few categories. I realize that with Fajardo no longer being a Rider, he’s not as despised around these parts, but lets not pretend he’s all of a sudden a difference maker.

stats are all fine and dandy...but when u are at or under .500...and have gave up 3rd most point in the league...and are sitting at a net negative of 40....stats can go right into the dumper.....

1 minute ago, Booch said:

stats are all fine and dandy...but when u are at or under .500...and have gave up 3rd most point in the league...and are sitting at a net negative of 40....stats can go right into the dumper.....

That is largely due to the offensive offense of Kelly Jeffrey, and his amazing ability to turn the ball over on downs. A lot of short fields, or defensive scores.

9 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

That is largely due to the offensive offense of Kelly Jeffrey, and his amazing ability to turn the ball over on downs. A lot of short fields, or defensive scores.

Yeah...your coaching staff the last few yrs been really killing u guys...this yr u actually purged a good amount of the clowns and assbags there...then hire the most useless out of his league OC I have ever seen...2 steps forward...1 step back

And never thought u would see it but Dickieboi seems even dumber and more out to lunch...like wtf?!?

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah...your coaching staff the last few yrs been really killing u guys...this yr u actually purged a good amount of the clowns and assbags there...then hire the most useless out of his league OC I have ever seen...2 steps forward...1 step back

And never thought u would see it but Dickieboi seems even dumber and more out to lunch...like wtf?!?

You know me Booch, I’m pretty damn realistic when it comes to my squad lol… Dicky is so out of his league it’s not even funny. He makes MINIMUM one decision that hurts the team per game.

13 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

I was not thrilled with the Ottawa loss for sure. However, the reasons for that loss are not the same reasons the Riders are struggling. We can be dominant, absolutely dominant, at the drop of a hat when we prepare properly, play like we can, and maintain focus. 

Fajardo is not a world beater. Is he good enough to put up 20-25 points against your defence. Absolutely. I can't see your offence getting into double digits against the Montreal defence. That will be the difference this game for the Riders....every game probably for the RIders. Not saying you can't win...but you are going to need breaks, big ST plays, maybe a team looking past you to do so. Your team is really not built or coached to win.

You are a pretty level headed guy, I think you know this. You guys have some really good players at some positions, but at some positions you guys have players that really are not good enough for this league, and other teams just tee off on that. It becomes an especially critical situation when these guys are playing in the trenches.

Edited by GCn20

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/cfl-player-discipline-fines-for-dane-evans-jevon-cottoy-keon-hatcher-alexander-hollins-lucky-whitehead-justin-mcinnis-amir-siddiqi-pier-olivier-lestage-mustafa-johnson/

BC Lions Quarterback and Wide Receivers: Security Protocol Violation

• Players Involved: Dane Evans (QB), Jevon Cottoy (WR), Keon Hatcher (WR), Alexander Hollins (WR), Lucky Whitehead (WR), Justin McInnis (WR)
  • Incident: These players have been fined for violating the league’s security protocol by entering a designated fan-only area in a visiting stadium.
  • Explanation: This breach of protocol poses potential safety risks, and the league is taking this violation seriously to ensure that all rules and procedures are adhered to.

pretty sure that tweet is much ado about nothing?....or was there more out there....havnt really looked

That being said if they cut him loose we should definitely bring him in and use him in Grants role until he's off the IR....Him for Mcrae offers us pretty much the same type of guys, but with better return skills.....and I'm sure being back here with a chip on his shoulder would put a lil extra giddy-up in his stride

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

pretty sure that tweet is much ado about nothing?....or was there more out there....havnt really looked

That being said if they cut him loose we should definitely bring him in and use him in Grants role until he's off the IR....Him for Mcrae offers us pretty much the same type of guys, but with better return skills.....and I'm sure being back here with a chip on his shoulder would put a lil extra giddy-up in his stride

If they cut him loose, most likely he will be back here. 

20 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

If they cut him loose, most likely he will be back here. 

Prior to last week's game, there was an article where he talked about how he enjoys playing here because it's like home and he still gets love from the fans.

The article was mainly about how he's been banged up this year... not enough to go on the IR but enough that it's affected his performance and that he has to be careful.  Wonder if he got further injured against us & that could be a reason for the tweet?  

https://theprovince.com/sports/football/cfl/bc-lions/un-lucky-whitehead-injuries-have-slowed-the-b-c-lions-big-play-master

On 2023-08-09 at 6:03 PM, greenrider55 said:

The Rider D actually statistically is top 2 in quite a few categories. I realize that with Fajardo no longer being a Rider, he’s not as despised around these parts, but let’s not pretend he’s all of a sudden a difference maker.

Top 2 for points surrendered for instance. Only 7 points away from Edmonton! Lol. Seriously though it’s not likely to change before the half unless east teams give up 50 per game for 2 or close to 100 for the other 2. 

A bad team and or D isn’t going to be bottom in all stats. By nature of being on the field more you are going to get more chances for tackles and total plays. Points against, big plays, yards per pass, average yards given up on first down, stats like that dont skew soo easy. If you are giving up a ton of points, it makes no sense to compare other defensive metrics. The opposition offence is achieving its primary goal. It doesn’t matter if you get a sack or stuff the run when you give up the score any way. 

On 2023-08-13 at 12:55 PM, Noeller said:

Interesting.....

On August 17, 1959 Edmonton lost to BC 12-0, and the following week they beat Sask. 55-0. 67 point swing. Not even sure that’s the record, but this took me one minute of digging to find this. Either the “CFL stats guru” is in the wrong job, or I am. 

*UPDATE*
So after some more digging, I am certain that the point swing record in Canadian football belongs to Montreal and Hamilton. On Oct. 20, 1956 the Alouettes beat the Tiger-Cats 82-14 (the 68 point margin is still a record), and the following week Hamilton won the re-match 50-14, so both have a point swing record in consecutive games of 104. In the CFL era (since 1958) I believe the record is 83 points, by the 1999 Hamilton Tiger-Cats (lost 52-19 in Montreal then beat Winnipeg at home 65-15 the next game). Next best is 80 points, by Hamilton in 1981 (57-13 win over Toronto followed by a 41-5 loss to Edmonton) and again by Winnipeg in 1991 (68-14 win over Hamilton, then a 46-20 loss to Ottawa). 

For biggest point deferential in consecutive wins, Edmonton technically holds the record for consecutive regular season games at +102, but it is spread over two seasons (beat Toronto 61-7 in their final 1981 regular season game, and then beat Ottawa 55-7 in their 1982 season opener, but they played playoff games in between those matches). Those aforementioned 1999 Tiger-Cats also hold the single season record at +92 in consecutive wins, beating Edmonton 54-8 and then Saskatchewan 63-17 for back-to-back 46 point victories. Calgary is next best at +88 (54-15 and 52-3 over Sask. and Tor. respectively in 1994).

And Saskatchewan holds the record for largest point differential in consecutive losses, losing 55-0 to Edmonton and 61-8 to Winnipeg in consecutive weeks in 1959 for a -108 differential. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever