CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Not broke but needing cash. An oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Could be aa cashflow issue. You can be short on cash but still have many non-liquid assets. Not an oxymoron at all. 

My bank account needs cash but I have two able-bodied children I could sell. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Could be aa cashflow issue. You can be short on cash but still have many non-liquid assets. Not an oxymoron at all. 

That would depnd on how fond you are of them. There's more where they came from.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They have $10 million crisis fund left but have been losing $4 million a year since 2020.  So they need to figure it out pretty quick.

If they have a legit QB...they could be all right in all honesty, so really they not that far off....get rid of a few of those aging vets who aren't gonna do anything for their future....free up some coin to get some in their prime and it's a huge upgrade there.

I say end of season if we know Brown is gonna look for a starter gig...we trade his and his rights to the Elks for something we need...Hello Ceresna and a pick...we know Zack is starting here until 2025 anyway, so unlikely Brown is gonna wait that out, and we can't pay him starter cash to stay and basically hamstring us elsewhere on the roster.....such is life but sometimes u just gotta do what u gotta do

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

If they have a legit QB...they could be all right in all honesty, so really they not that far off....get rid of a few of those aging vets who aren't gonna do anything for their future....free up some coin to get some in their prime and it's a huge upgrade there.

I say end of season if we know Brown is gonna look for a starter gig...we trade his and his rights to the Elks for something we need...Hello Ceresna and a pick...we know Zack is starting here until 2025 anyway, so unlikely Brown is gonna wait that out, and we can't pay him starter cash to stay and basically hamstring us elsewhere on the roster.....such is life but sometimes u just gotta do what u gotta do

Depends on what happens with Tre Ford.... I really think he could be a good one for them. That'll dictate how much interest they have in dealing for a QB...

36 minutes ago, Booch said:

If Dru shows really well... shouldn't we trade Zach to Edmonton and Keep Dru?

Can you have a coach/player? I mean have x count towards player cap and y count towards coach cap?

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

4 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Dickie getting desperate, Walters needs to become his new best friend, can't get anything out of his half-wit brother but he could probably trade a spare DB for a good prospect or a future draft pick. Trade with him once and like a junkie he'll come back for more.

I'm not trading anyone or anything for draft picks. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Oh come on man. That’s cruel. Selling their body parts though is the best of both worlds. You get to keep them AND increase your cash flow. Win win.

2 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

If Dru shows really well... shouldn't we trade Zach to Edmonton and Keep Dru?

Can you have a coach/player? I mean have x count towards player cap and y count towards coach cap?

ZC stays a Bomber then retires as a Bomber. Full stop as the saying goes.

7 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Even to the detriment of the team?

I hear what you’re saying. Ideally for us is he plays for us right to the moment where now he will be a detriment to us, knows it’s time to pack it in regardless of other teams interest and shifts nicely into coaching or whatever makes him happy. Ideally.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

How many back-ups have you seen start with a couple 300 yard games and fall flat on their face when given the starting role? You really want to argue the side that keeping our 2-time MOP is to the detriment of the team?

True, when I said "shows well" I should have said continues to play at a high level- he would also have to out perform Zach.

6 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

True, when I said "shows well" I should have said continues to play at a high level- he would also have to out perform Zach.

Only way it would happen is if we repeat 2019. Zach is injured to the point where he will never be the same and Dru takes us to a Grey Cup win.

The most likely scenario this year is Zach comes back in short order, takes us to a Grey Cup win, and Dru moves onto a new team next season (Perhaps with Buck as his head coach) - hopefully to great success. I know I'll be cheering for him.

42 minutes ago, Jesse said:

How many back-ups have you seen start with a couple 300 yard games and fall flat on their face when given the starting role? You really want to argue the side that keeping our 2-time MOP is to the detriment of the team?

We also need to point out that he is playing behind the best o line with the best rb and best set of receivers in the league.

I'd only get rid of ZC if he gets so banged up that he becomes a liability or a shell of his former self like the last season we had Khari or the last two years of Matt Nichols.

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Imagine if in a couple years you got streveler starting somewhere, brown starting somewhere... and everyone looks at the Bombers as the new qb factory. Has that ever happened?

Not since Mac Danny went off to BC, I reckon.... Been awhile.

35 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Imagine if in a couple years you got streveler starting somewhere, brown starting somewhere... and everyone looks at the Bombers as the new qb factory. Has that ever happened?

Instead of having them go elsewhere, I'd prefer to imagine that we pull a Calgary and have a constant string of star QBs.

Until Maier McCheese, when was the last time they had a mediocre starting QB? Since the early 90's they''ve only had to suffer through Drew Tate and Marcus Crandell for a bit.  

I shudder when I think about some of the trash QB's we have trotted out over the last 30 years.

58 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Instead of having them go elsewhere, I'd prefer to imagine that we pull a Calgary and have a constant string of star QBs.

Until Maier McCheese, when was the last time they had a mediocre starting QB? Since the early 90's they''ve only had to suffer through Drew Tate and Marcus Crandell for a bit.  

I shudder when I think about some of the trash QB's we have trotted out over the last 30 years.

s-l1200.webp

9 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Tre Ford is awful.  QB's need that ability to hit a window 8-10-15-20 yards downfield on time.  He can't do anything with his arm but heave deep balls and throw screens.  Even the screens if the Bombers didn't take the bait likely go nowhere.

Tre Ford is Canadian Tebow IMO.

Yeah, he never showed that he can throw the ball with any kind of consistency. Typical rookie qb. Thinks with his legs & runs. He got lucky on some of his deep throws & the dumb 11 man blitz leaving Houston iso'd on the Elks receiver.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

If ....we part ways with Dru ....that leaves us with no back-up.....I sure as heck don't want to go with Prukop as that guy, so I hope we are planning for that eventuality.....Long way off but it's always wise to plan ahead....Pigrome would have been nice but that ship has sailed

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

s-l1200.webp

...................the ultimate case of nepotism 

Edited by Stickem