The RIP 2023 Thread

TrueBlue4ever

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Before ECW, the WCW had a Cruiserweight Division where Eddie & Chavo Guerrero wrestled. As did Chris Jerico, Juventud Guerrra, Dean Malenko, Psychosis, Billy Kidman, Rey Mysterio & others.. There was high flying action. The WWF (at the time) preferred the bigger wrestlers. The smaller performers seldom made the roster. The Guerreros, Dean Malenko, Kidman, Rey Mysterio & jericho all had success in WWF.

Opposite way around those guys all in ECW before WCW. 

15 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Opposite way around those guys all in ECW before WCW. 

Long time ago. Thanks for getting it straight.

17 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Nope, ECW was first for most of those guys, then they went to WCW. 

Benoit did work for WCW for a couple months in 1993 before going to ECW in 1994 while Kidman never worked ECW.  

Benoit, Eddie and Malenko all jumped to WCW at the same time in 1995.  Psicosis came/left ECW later that same year.

Rey was ECW late 95 to early 96.

Jericho & Juventud were both in ECW in 1996.

WCW didn't do much with their smaller guys until mid-1996 when Bischoff saw what ECW was doing.  He changed the name from the WCW light heavyweight weight division to the cruiserweight division and started signing those guys away.  Prior to that, their light heavyweight title had been inactive since 1992.

WWE was no different, it wasn't until others had success with guys who weren't the huge guys we were used to seeing, that they realized there was money to be made there.

Thanks for setting the record straight in great detail as that was 25 years ago. I never watched ECW but I did watch WCW. I actually liked WCW better than WWF. 

Devastated......... I became somewhat of a Parrot Head in the last few years and came to worship everything he built as a businessman, and several of the songs he wrote that were genius. RIP, Bubba...... there will NEVER be an equal.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Devastated......... I became somewhat of a Parrot Head in the last few years and came to worship everything he built as a businessman, and several of the songs he wrote that were genius. RIP, Bubba...... there will NEVER be an equal.

Kenny Chesney will probably take up the mantle.

Scratch another one off my fathers bucket list. He is sads today.

Might have to leave it on Margaritaville all day on SiriusXM.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

oh geez! say it with me everyone **** CANCER

from TMZ:

8:57 AM PT -- Sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ ... Jimmy was diagnosed with skin cancer 4 years ago that turned into lymphoma, and we're told that was the cause of death. As one close friend put it, "He lived his life in the sun, literally and figuratively." Jimmy began receiving hospice care last Monday and there was an outpouring of love from friends and family. We're told a week ago Sir Paul McCartney came to Jimmy's house and sang to Jimmy's family.

19 hours ago, Tracker said:

His liver finally threw in the towel.

There are always consequences to a lifestyle of excess with alcohol &/or drugs. Most die young or years before they should. Unfortunately, my father was an alcoholic & he drank himself to death. He may have lived a long life otherwise but his liver & brain were pickled. That may sound callous as I loved my father & watching someone slowly kill themselves while being helpless to do anything about it is the worst thing a loved one can experience. So, that is how I handle things when I think or talk about him by being a bit aloof. It sounds a little cruel but it's how I still handle the grief of his life & death. 

Even though my Dad has been gone for 21 years, there are days I still get angry for being cheated out of spending more time with him as well as the negative experiences I had as a kid when he drank. Our place a lot of the time was like a nuthouse. Just utter chaos that I won't get into. My Mother did her best to hold things together & to her everlasting credit she did.

The one saving grace of my Dad's alcoholism was that he was a happy drunk. He never once struck her, myself or my siblings. I'm thankful for that one small bit of God's mercy as that would have been the end of us as a family. As a result of being a constant party guy & not being violent, she hung in with him right to the end. No doubt to keep us all together.

My Mother was a Saint. Dad  would disappear for days & we didn't know if he was alive or dead. A lot of times, we didn't have food in the house as when he disappeared into his alcoholic abyss, he'd always drink away the money that was supposed to be used for groceries. He'd come home three or 4 days late totally broke. Or with just enough money left over for emergency groceries like bread, milk or eggs. Sometimes, our one or two of my Mom's friends who were our neighbours or aunts & uncles would help us out with food iof things were desperate. When I was old enough to stay home alone in grade 3 or 4 as I was the youngest, my Mom got a job as a maid just to be able to feed the family. 

Dad was just happier drunk than sober. No idea why my father had so much pain & felt the need to be medicated constantly by alcohol. I wish I was able to have found out just so I could try to understand. When he was alive, I never felt the need to ask. Now, I wish that I did  but it's too late.

The final 10 years of his life my father had stopped drinking because he had forgotten he drank. He spent his final decade of his life at the Riverview Health Centre on the Alzheimers Ward. The 60 plus years of abuse did their damage as he developed senility & ultimately the final deed was done. He once told me he started smoking & was already getting drunk on a regular basis by the age of 9. His older brother by 2 years also was an alcoholic & died the same way. They were partners in crime, I guess. 

How do kids get liquor & smokes at that age?? Who is evil enough to give it to them? Well. somehow they both did. Just so sad. My condolences to the family of Steve Hartwell.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There are always consequences to a lifestyle of excess with alcohol &/or drugs. Most die young or years before they should. Unfortunately, my father was an alcoholic & he drank himself to death. He may have lived a long life otherwise but his liver & brain were pickled. That may sound callous as I loved my father & watching someone slowly kill themselves while being helpless to do anything about it is the worst thing a loved one can experience. So, that is how I handle things when I think or talk about him by being a bit aloof. It sounds a little cruel but it's how I still handle the grief of his life & death. 

Even though my Dad has been gone for 21 years, there are days I still get angry for being cheated out of spending more time with him as well as the negative experiences I had as a kid when he drank. Our place a lot of the time was like a nuthouse. Just utter chaos that I won't get into. My Mother did her best to hold things together & to her everlasting credit she did.

The one saving grace of my Dad's alcoholism was that he was a happy drunk. He never once struck her, myself or my siblings. I'm thankful for that one small bit of God's mercy as that would have been the end of us as a family. As a result of being a constant party guy & not being violent, she hung in with him right to the end. No doubt to keep us all together.

My Mother was a Saint. Dad  would disappear for days & we didn't know if he was alive or dead. A lot of times, we didn't have food in the house as when he disappeared into his alcoholic abyss, he'd always drink away the money that was supposed to be used for groceries. He'd come home three or 4 days late totally broke. Or with just enough money left over for emergency groceries like bread, milk or eggs. Sometimes, our one or two of my Mom's friends who were our neighbours or aunts & uncles would help us out with food iof things were desperate. When I was old enough to stay home alone in grade 3 or 4 as I was the youngest, my Mom got a job as a maid just to be able to feed the family. 

Dad was just happier drunk than sober. No idea why my father had so much pain & felt the need to be medicated constantly by alcohol. I wish I was able to have found out just so I could try to understand. When he was alive, I never felt the need to ask. Now, I wish that I did  but it's too late.

The final 10 years of his life my father had stopped drinking because he had forgotten he drank. He spent his final decade of his life at the Riverview Health Centre on the Alzheimers Ward. The 60 plus years of abuse did their damage as he developed senility & ultimately the final deed was done. He once told me he started smoking & was already getting drunk on a regular basis by the age of 9. His older brother by 2 years also was an alcoholic & died the same way. They were partners in crime, I guess. 

How do kids get liquor & smokes at that age?? Who is evil enough to give it to them? Well. somehow they both did. Just so sad. My condolences to the family of Steve Hartwell.

There are many reasons and causes that people become addicted or over consume alcohol. Indeed it is often to self medicate to hide or mute pain,hurt or other mental issues. Some people's brains are hard wired differently and experience a stronger rush of pleasure causing endorphins.  This can overwhelm the  brain and it will shut down the reception of those endorphins. This often causes people to respond by drinking even more.

Alcoholism or Alcohol Use Disorder  is vastly under diagnosed. It takes many different forms but one thing that is the same is the damage, hurt  and pain that it causes to those around them.  I'm very sorry that you had to go through  a childhood like that.  I wish you all the best in dealing with it.

Edited by the watcher

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

There are many reasons and causes that people become addicted or over consume alcohol. Indeed it is often to self medicate to hide or mute pain,hurt or other mental issues. Some people's brains are hard wired differently and experience a stronger rush of pleasure causing endorphins.  This can overwhelm the  brain and it will shut down the reception of those endorphins. This often causes people to respond by drinking even more.

Alcoholism or Alcohol Use Disorder  is vastly under diagnosed. It takes many different forms but one thing that is the same is the damage, hurt  and pain that it causes to those around them.  I'm very sorry that you had to go through  a childhood like that.  I wish you all the best in dealing with it.

Alcohol is so problematic for some people that during the shutdowns for covid, alcohol was considered essential. It also tells you tho that the govt probably doesn't care about your alcohol problems because the reason for it being essential was to not clog up hospitals 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Alcohol is so problematic for some people that during the shutdowns for covid, alcohol was considered essential. It also tells you tho that the govt probably doesn't care about your alcohol problems because the reason for it being essential was to not clog up hospitals 

It was deemed essential to avoid people having to go through withdrawals.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/alcohol-addiction-coronavirus-pandemic-1.5509686

Just now, Rich said:

It was deemed essential to avoid people having to go through withdrawals.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/alcohol-addiction-coronavirus-pandemic-1.5509686

I was 99% sure this is what I remembered as well.... it was technically deemed a type of medicine, which is why it was essential. 

On 2023-09-02 at 9:11 AM, Noeller said:

I feel the same. I tried many times but it never worked out to see Jimmy live. A regret I will always have. 

Just a devastating month losing Robbie's and Jimmy's voices. Ugh.

13 hours ago, the watcher said:

Thank you. I appreciate the insight. Yes, my Dad was certainly different. A heckuva nice guy who'd leave his family hanging with no money. Still dealing with things today, unfortunately. Man, I've climbed more than a few high mountains & deep valleys in my lifetime. Very painful dealing with anger issues. depression, little patience & lack of self confidence. Also trust. I've had issues all my school & then working life with authority figures. I just had a hard time trusting anyone who was my teacher or boss. I've been fired more than once for insubordination. I've tried to get help but it's so hard to find a psychologist to talk things out. I'd like to know why the way I am even at my age. Still trying to be a better person for my family. Anyway, back to the thread here. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27