The RIP 2023 Thread

TrueBlue4ever

I was talking to a friend yesterday who said that he was sitting at a cafe in Vancouver and suddenly he sees Joni Mitchell walking into an art store next door.  He didn't want to bug her but he's a massive fan so decided to go ahead and at least tell her how much she meant to him, and he said she was just so nice and amazing, and he was literally shaking afterwards because it was like a brush with greatness and such a positive experience that just happened right out of the blue!  He got a pic with her too, and he sent it to me, and to be honest, I would never have recognized her.  She came close to dying a few years ago, but glad that she's still with us.  In the next 10 years we are probably going to lose pretty much every musician from that era, sad to think about.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

^^ Such an underrated movie. Myers playing a version of his own dad is just phenomenal. By far my favourite part of the movie. 

Argo F yourself!  LOL

Watch the movie Argo if you haven't already.  Canada gets a great nod in that one. We saved the lives of six Americans who were sure to be executed in Iran when the crazies took over.

On 2023-06-26 at 5:17 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Murray Parker 86 former CBC Winnipeg weatherman.

I met Murray when he was doing weather at CBWT on 24 Hours many, many moons ago when I was in Junior High. I watched the entire show in the studio. Murray was a friend of my cousin who was a cameraman. He was a very nice man. 

How long ago was "many, many moons ago"??? It was the day that Muhammad Ali met Joe Frazier in what was billed as the '"Fight Of The Century"... their first Heavyweight Championship fight at Madison Square Garden won by Frazier. March 8, 1971.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Argo F yourself!  LOL

Watch the movie Argo if you haven't already.  Canada gets a great nod in that one. We saved the lives of six Americans who were sure to be executed in Iran when the crazies took over.

According the Argo movie, Canada wasn't involved at all. It was all those clever and devious Americans, god bless them.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

According the Argo movie, Canada wasn't involved at all. It was all those clever and devious Americans, god bless them.

yes they did take a lot of the credit, and they definitely over dramatized the story, including the ending where they "barely" escaped, but it was still a great story, with elements of truth to it.  Alan Arkin was so good in that movie, as was John Goodman.

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes they did take a lot of the credit, and they definitely over dramatized the story, including the ending where they "barely" escaped, but it was still a great story, with elements of truth to it.  Alan Arkin was so good in that movie, as was John Goodman.

My favourite film is the one I first saw him in. "The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter". It was a low-budget movie about a man caring for his developmentally delayed brother after the deaths of their parents. He is trying to have a life but his brother is desperately clingy and manipulative and Arkin's character is often angry and resentful. not an easy or comfortable film to watch but a realistic portrayal of life for some.

On 2023-06-29 at 11:38 AM, kelownabomberfan said:

I was talking to a friend yesterday who said that he was sitting at a cafe in Vancouver and suddenly he sees Joni Mitchell walking into an art store next door.  He didn't want to bug her but he's a massive fan so decided to go ahead and at least tell her how much she meant to him, and he said she was just so nice and amazing, and he was literally shaking afterwards because it was like a brush with greatness and such a positive experience that just happened right out of the blue!  He got a pic with her too, and he sent it to me, and to be honest, I would never have recognized her.  She came close to dying a few years ago, but glad that she's still with us.  In the next 10 years we are probably going to lose pretty much every musician from that era, sad to think about.

Now, I think I understand how my dad felt when he got older. He had a huge collection of 78 records going back to the 1930's. Every so often when I was a teen, I'd put them on our old record player & listen to them. Those musicians he used to listen & dance to as a young man during the Depression & through World War 2 all were dying off in the 50's & into the 70's just like the rock stars & bands we listened to. It is sad. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I was watching this video on Youtube and I just wanted to say - what amazing talent - Mama Cass and John Denver - that both left this world way before they should have.  One day I hope that technology allows future generations to capture the genius of people like this and can store it and perhaps pass it on somehow.  The Divine Spark.  Whatever it is that exists in creative minds that have created so much beauty and art and magic that we enjoy to this day, that they just somehow created out of their own minds and passed on to us lucky ones who don't have their talent.  Perhaps somehow one day we can study this 
"innovation" and capture it and replicate it.  To further enhance the beautiful human experience.

Edited by kelownabomberfan