The RIP 2023 Thread

TrueBlue4ever

Randy Meisner, Founding Eagles Member, Dies At 77
Meisner added high harmonies to such favorites as “Take It Easy” and “The Best of My Love” and sang and co-wrote the hit “Take It to the Limit."

NEW YORK (AP) — Randy Meisner, a founding member of the Eagles who added high harmonies to such favorites as “Take It Easy” and “The Best of My Love” and stepped out front for the waltz-time ballad “Take It to the Limit,” has died, the band said Thursday.

Meisner died Wednesday night in Los Angeles of complications from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, the Eagles said in a statement. He was 77.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Randy Meisner, Founding Eagles Member, Dies At 77
Meisner added high harmonies to such favorites as “Take It Easy” and “The Best of My Love” and sang and co-wrote the hit “Take It to the Limit."

NEW YORK (AP) — Randy Meisner, a founding member of the Eagles who added high harmonies to such favorites as “Take It Easy” and “The Best of My Love” and stepped out front for the waltz-time ballad “Take It to the Limit,” has died, the band said Thursday.

Meisner died Wednesday night in Los Angeles of complications from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, the Eagles said in a statement. He was 77.

When the Eagles were at their peak, Meisner was my favourite Eagle. As said, his distinct voice made the harmonies of the band unique with a sound totally of their own. When he left, that distinct sound was gone.

Timothy B Schmidt who replaced him could never sing the way Randy could. Meisner left after Hotel California was released in 1976 as he wasn't getting along with an increasingly autocratic Glenn Frey who felt it was his duty to be the de facto, "Leader Of The Band". As well as Meisner's hatred of the constant touring.

During the Hotel California tour, Meisner was having trouble with his voice hitting the high notes of Take It To The Limit. He would become nervous & refuse to sing the song which raised the ire of Frey who angrily demanded that Meisner do the song. Frey would mock Meisner & call him names like "Coward" to make him angry enough to sing the song just to spite him. During one argument backstage, Frey & Meisner had to be separated as they were about to come to blows. Meisner eventually got so fed up with the grind that he left the band & was replaced by Schmidt. To me, losing Meisner was a huge blow to the Eagles & Schmidt never could measure up. Meisner was irreplaceable.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2023-07-26 at 1:24 PM, JCon said:

She never will. She took on organized crime. 

I think the last time I saw O'Connor on TV she had fully converted to islam, wore a full head scarf and had changed her name to Shuhada Sadaqat, rejecting the patriarchal slave name her Irish parents had burdened her with.  She rejected her Catholic upbringing violently, yet didn't have the strength or the wisdom to find her way without fully embracing another religion.  

I don't care for her pop oriented work at all, but one of my favourite albums of all time is her interpretation of Irish folk songs on the album Sean-Nós Nua, and I ain't even Irish.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When the Eagles were at their peak, Meisner was my favourite Eagle. As said, his distinct voice made the harmonies of the band unique with a sound totally of their own. When he left, that distinct sound was gone.

Timothy B Schmidt who replaced him could never sing the way Randy could. Meisner left after Hotel California was released in 1976 as he wasn't getting along with an increasingly autocratic Glenn Frey who felt it was his duty to be the de facto, "Leader Of The Band". As well as Meisner's hatred of the constant touring.

During the Hotel California tour, Meisner was having trouble with his voice hitting the high notes of Take It To The Limit. He would become nervous & refuse to sing the song which raised the ire of Frey who angrily demanded that Meisner do the song. Frey would mock Meisner & call him names like "Coward" to make him angry enough to sing the song just to spite him. During one argument backstage, Frey & Meisner had to be separated as they were about to come to blows. Meisner eventually got so fed up with the grind that he left the band & was replaced by Schmidt. To me, losing Meisner was a huge blow to the Eagles & Schmidt never could measure up. Meisner was irreplaceable.

Amost from beginning of their corporate rock career, they detested each other and even came to perfomances in separate vehicles at the last moment before the show. They did not practice in person, but only with recorded tracks of each other. Their roadies called them "the Egos".

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

Amost from beginning of their corporate rock career, they detested each other and even came to perfomances in separate vehicles at the last moment before the show. They did not practice in person, but only with recorded tracks of each other. Their roadies called them "the Egos".

The Eagles were the biggest band in the world in 1977. Bigger than Fleetwood Mac who had released their album, Rumours. Maybe the Bee Gee's Saturday Night Fever was bigger but if it was not by much. Meisner couldn't handle the travelling, pressure of touring, the parties as well as the drugs & alcohol.

I guess we'll always have You Don't Know Jack the game show (not old enough to remember his show unless his cameo in Sesame Street's Put Down The Duckie counts)

the YDKJ people even gave a subtle reference to it (either that or they forgot about it)

I was really hoping that they would give a statement, considering how much YDKJ I've been playing in the last three years, I was actually sorry that the game show version didn't take off

Edited by iHeart

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/07/31/wrestling-legend-adrian-street-dead-82/

ba6677424b28417d8c3df0e45876c09a_md.jpg

Legit bad ass in real life,   it's unfortunate that he didn't get a WWE run in the 80's.  

He didn't get the call to go to New York but he was the inspiration behind the "Adorable" Adrian Adonis gimmick.  The WWF just toned it down some... Adonis was a pretty tough guy himself, at least until drugs/age/lifestyle caught up with him.