2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I mean, it has the same importance as it always did - tradition and guaranteeing the larger Eastern markets home games and play-off dates. 

Where are these large Eastern markets?  For attendance totals, there isn't a "large" market anywhere in the east outside of Hamilton.  Way more support for the CFL in the West.  And tradition is only important if people really care about it.  This eastern CFL welfare program is getting old.  I'm sure that a lot of people would say that the two best teams should be in the Cup regardless of where they are from.

6 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Where are these large Eastern markets?  For attendance totals, there isn't a "large" market anywhere in the east outside of Hamilton.  Way more support for the CFL in the West.  And tradition is only important if people really care about it.  This eastern CFL welfare program is getting old.  I'm sure that a lot of people would say that the two best teams should be in the Cup regardless of where they are from.

Toronto's TV numbers are still good.

And like it or not, those markets are important for sponsorship dollars. Attendance is reducing across all sports and TV numbers and sponsorships is what has to carry teams/leagues. 

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Toronto's TV numbers are still good.

And like it or not, those markets are important for sponsorship dollars. Attendance is reducing across all sports and TV numbers and sponsorships is what has to carry teams/leagues. 

The CFL is still a gate driven market.  Very few people care about the Argos, now or in the past 20 years or so, yet so many people say that without them the league folds.  I suspect that if they moved the Argos to a place that would actually support them, life in the CFL would go on just fine.  Totonto is not the epicenter of the CFL.   The west is and has been for a long time.  TSN can still show the games in the Toronto market and their dozens of hard core fans, and the Hamilton fans will still watch.

15 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The CFL is still a gate driven market.  Very few people care about the Argos, now or in the past 20 years or so, yet so many people say that without them the league folds.  I suspect that if they moved the Argos to a place that would actually support them, life in the CFL would go on just fine.  Totonto is not the epicenter of the CFL.   The west is and has been for a long time.  TSN can still show the games in the Toronto market and their dozens of hard core fans, and the Hamilton fans will still watch.

The TV and sponsorship dollars are about 35% of league revenues.  They are extremely important to EVERY teams survival and would be severely impacted without a league presence in TO, Mtl, and Van. 

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The TV and sponsorship dollars are about 35% of league revenues.  They are extremely important to EVERY teams survival and would be severely impacted without a league presence in TO, Mtl, and Van. 

I was speaking about the way playoffs are seeded, not what would happen if TSN stopped carrying the CFL, which has never been suggested.

4 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I was speaking about the way playoffs are seeded, not what would happen if TSN stopped carrying the CFL, which has never been suggested.

I quoted what I was responding to and it had zero to do with playoff seeding.You suggested TO was unimportant to the league..I disagreed. I also suggested nothing about TSN not carrying the league, although the possibility of that happening without TO certainly exists.

17 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He may have asked for his release, or the team just may know it ain’t happening here. 

Think probably the case and that Ellingson and Woli will be back possibly next game...or the final at latest, also may indicate Agudosi is close, and I know they like Heiligh...as do I and we have Mcrae too...so really no real need for him to close out this season

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Think probably the case and that Ellingson and Woli will be back possibly next game...or the final at latest, also may indicate Agudosi is close, and I know they like Heiligh...as do I and we have Mcrae too...so really no real need for him to close out this season

That’s what I’d think. And getting ellingson back would be scary good. 

it’s still poor roster management with him though. To have brought back McKnight then cut him and now cut Harrison too. We rostered him and gave him no reps. Could’ve been actually developing some one. Our pr this year has been a mess. 

So wanted to shift gears away from the PR talk, and not make a new thread.    Like last year, the Bombers locked up first place with about a month left to go in the season.   In last years west final, an uncharacteristic amount of turnovers happened and I wondered how many players lacked proper focus having not played a meaningful game in over a month.  

We are in the same situation this year.  5 weeks to go until the West Final.  I know we didn't have a ton of injuries like we did this year, but is anyone at all concerned with the lack of meaningful games for 5 weeks? 

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That’s what I’d think. And getting ellingson back would be scary good. 

it’s still poor roster management with him though. To have brought back McKnight then cut him and now cut Harrison too. We rostered him and gave him no reps. Could’ve been actually developing some one. Our pr this year has been a mess. 

I agree, it comes down to efficiency, the Bombers have to do a better job of preparing future replacements for "next season" as they are now officially the #1 team in the league.  With their recent success they should expect an increased amount of envy and defection to other teams making better offers to key players. Instead of stocking the PR with temporary replacements like McKnight and future ST players, they need to prepare the next young Ellingson or Stove who have the potential to develop into players of the same caliber.

The Stamps held the mantel for over 10 years, they had to replace exceptional players every season and find key replacements within their organization.  They've done an excellent job of remaining competitive no matter how many player losses they sustained, season after season.  The Bombers have to adapt the same model and can't rely on doing their best with what they have leftover in the cupboard.

1 hour ago, captaincanuck12 said:

So wanted to shift gears away from the PR talk, and not make a new thread.    Like last year, the Bombers locked up first place with about a month left to go in the season.   In last years west final, an uncharacteristic amount of turnovers happened and I wondered how many players lacked proper focus having not played a meaningful game in over a month.  

We are in the same situation this year.  5 weeks to go until the West Final.  I know we didn't have a ton of injuries like we did this year, but is anyone at all concerned with the lack of meaningful games for 5 weeks? 

As long as our big vets are as healthy as can be I’m not concerned. 

44 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I agree, it comes down to efficiency, the Bombers have to do a better job of preparing future replacements for "next season" as they are now officially the #1 team in the league.  With their recent success they should expect an increased amount of envy and defection to other teams making better offers to key players. Instead of stocking the PR with temporary replacements like McKnight and future ST players, they need to prepare the next young Ellingson or Stove who have the potential to develop into players of the same caliber.

The Stamps held the mantel for over 10 years, they had to replace exceptional players every season and find key replacements within their organization.  They've done an excellent job of remaining competitive no matter how many player losses they sustained, season after season.  The Bombers have to adapt the same model and can't rely on doing their best with what they have leftover in the cupboard.

100%. The next man up process in Calgary was backed by constantly bringing in high tier guys to push at positions. Not familiar faces who have shown they can’t cut it. Or keeping guys on the pr who aren’t going to improve or be less available at any point in the future. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

As long as our big vets are as healthy as can be I’m not concerned. 

100%. The next man up process in Calgary was backed by constantly bringing in high tier guys to push at positions. Not familiar faces who have shown they can’t cut it. Or keeping guys on the pr who aren’t going to improve or be less available at any point in the future. 

It’s still working in Calgary too. They’re a pretty good team considering how much they lose every year.

That being said, McManus seems to be an elite level talent manager. So unless a team is willing to let him GM from Florida, he’ll keep finding all stars like Schoen & Alford.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Are we pretending that the Bombers don't have a pipeline of talent replacements in place? I mean certain groups of opposing fans think the bombers haven't had to deal with any injuries because we just keep on trucking no matter who is out of the lineup... 

This, and winning and winning often is no longer a "new" thing to the bombers. The bombers have won more games that anyone since 2016. That's 6 years ago now...I know I don't need to do the math (we're not rider fans after all) but sometimes actually saying it makes people realize what HAS been going on around these parts. They've replaced high level talent, with high level talent for almost a decade now. 

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Are we pretending that the Bombers don't have a pipeline of talent replacements in place? I mean certain groups of opposing fans think the bombers haven't had to deal with any injuries because we just keep on trucking no matter who is out of the lineup... 

Sure but the best of those guys don't just show up and play.  Whatever you think of who's here now it's hard to not see a guy who spends 5 months here and then cut as a waste.  Those weeks of practice could have been spent on someone who could contribute, especially in a spot where we are have become quite thin with injuries....we've been starting a tailback at receiver for like 10 weeks.  If guys don't have it I'd hope we'd move on sooner....but will be interesting to see if Harrison signs elsewhere this week or next.

18 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sure but the best of those guys don't just show up and play.  Whatever you think of who's here now it's hard to not see a guy who spends 5 months here and then cut as a waste.  Those weeks of practice could have been spent on someone who could contribute, especially in a spot where we are have become quite thin with injuries....we've been starting a tailback at receiver for like 10 weeks.  If guys don't have it I'd hope we'd move on sooner....but will be interesting to see if Harrison signs elsewhere this week or next.

Lucky Jackson started for the Elks last game although he did not catch a pass.