2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

Selling the farm for a playoff run in the CFL is always risky business. In the NHL you get best of 7 series but for a lose and you're out scenario absolutely nothing is guaranteed and giving away a pile of assets for maybe a couple games of a player can be reckless. 

This team, knowing that they have proven the ability to rise to the occasion and know how to win and win when it matters... I'd be more inclined to trust the people in place. It's different when you're massacred by injuries like we are in the secondary right now, but if they were really unhappy with the defensive tackles I gotta think they would have made a move there a lot sooner in the season even if it was just PR bodies. 

44 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Selling the farm for a playoff run in the CFL is always risky business. In the NHL you get best of 7 series but for a lose and you're out scenario absolutely nothing is guaranteed and giving away a pile of assets for maybe a couple games of a player can be reckless. 

This team, knowing that they have proven the ability to rise to the occasion and know how to win and win when it matters... I'd be more inclined to trust the people in place. It's different when you're massacred by injuries like we are in the secondary right now, but if they were really unhappy with the defensive tackles I gotta think they would have made a move there a lot sooner in the season even if it was just PR bodies. 

It almost never pays off in other leagues 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Neither. You’d keep all three. Personally I would be looking at sending a first and some sweetener ideally. If it’s for a top tier guy under contract next year then dig deeper with a guy like Dobson. Maybe Chris jones would want one of our back up qbs or bolo to play db. 

This is why they don't pick someone from the stands to be a GM.

Our management will never deal a Canadian for what could be a possible rental...thats not how they operate...especially one with hiuge upside, and or is contributing now to the over all success of the team.

We would deal an intriguing PR and or Neg list guy....like we did with Wilcotts.....and if we were to do a deal with Nutbag Jones you could prob dangle an Agudosi in front of him (which I hope we don't or wouldn't) due to his physical appearance and talent...Jones would have a boner all day thinking about that...and then prob convert him into an End or corner and basically ruin his career

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Our management will never deal a Canadian for what could be a possible rental...thats not how they operate...especially one with hiuge upside, and or is contributing now to the over all success of the team.

We would deal an intriguing PR and or Neg list guy....like we did with Wilcotts.....and if we were to do a deal with Nutbag Jones you could prob dangle an Agudosi in front of him (which I hope we don't or wouldn't) due to his physical appearance and talent...Jones would have a boner all day thinking about that...and then prob convert him into an End or corner and basically ruin his career

A late round pick or something sure, but a first rounder or Dobson....no way...not unless that IMP is a very good player with term on his contract.

Just now, GCn20 said:

A late round pick or something sure, but a first rounder or Dobson....no way...not unless that IMP is a very good player with term on his contract.

yup....only for a difference maker signed through 2023

https://www.cfl.ca/top-performers-3/

TORONTO  Zach Collaros, Nic Demski and Jameer Thurman are the Canadian Football League (CFL)’s Top Performers for September of the 2022 season. The selections include all appearances from Weeks 13 to 17.

ZACH COLLAROS

• 73-of-108 passing (67.6 per cent) in four games
  • 1,125 passing yards and 12 touchdown passes
  • Multiple touchdown passes in each game, including two with four majors
  • Named Top Performer of the Week twice in September (Weeks 14 and 17)
  • Second time being named Top Performer of the Month (July)
  • Leads the league in passing yards (3,874) and passing touchdowns (32)

NIC DEMSKI

• 346 yards from scrimmage in four games
  • 280 receiving yards on 21 catches (13.3 yards per catch) and six touchdown receptions
  • Eight second down conversion receptions and 85 yards after the catch
  • 66 rushing yards (6.6 yards per rush) on 10 attempts
  • Named a Top Performer in Week 17
  • 2022 Season: 52 receptions for 613 yards and nine touchdown receptions

Edited by blue_gold_84

TORONTO (October 5, 2022) – The Canadian Football League (CFL) has announced:

• Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive tackle Ricky Walker has been fined for an illegal block on Saskatchewan Roughriders offensive lineman Terran Vaughn.

As per league policy, the amount of the fine was not disclosed.

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

That suggests is was dirty (or could cause injury). Don't like that.

Does anyone remember when this happened? 

Very last play of the game, on Holm’s interception return. 

Was wondering if they were going to fine  Demski for going into the fans area after he climbed the stairs to give the ball to the indigenous fans after his 2nd TD. Guess that’s less egregious than eating nachos or sitting on a sectional. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Was wondering if they were going to fine  Demski for going into the fans area after he climbed the stairs to give the ball to the indigenous fans after his 2nd TD. Guess that’s less egregious than eating nachos or sitting on a sectional. 

After the incident between Toronto & Hamilton last year, the CFL has clearly addressed what players can and can't do.  Climbing stairs or jumping on railings is fine but entering fan seating areas is not.  

“While we continue to encourage players to engage with fans, they may only do so from the playing field or from behind a fence, railing or barrier of some sort. Players are still able to jump up on the railing of the front row or climb the stairs to where the fans are but leaving the field and entering a seated area or walkway/concourse is now prohibited." 

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

No way I offer a 1st round pick or Dobson for anyone right now that is heading to FA. Too steep.

Hense under contract for next year. Guy like jagared Davis for this grey cup run and next year to rotate with Wj and jj? I’d give either the pick or Dobson up for that. 

4 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Agreed. I think I also heard that this years draft is a gooder.

It is supposed to be. Though you don’t really know till the week of the draft. 

4 hours ago, BBlink said:

Agreed. We are not in the business of trading high value Canadians for Americans. The only exception is a top QB (1st for Collaros) 

I think our history of trading draft picks contradicts that a bit. 

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

That is why I think that Chris Jones will want every second, of every minute, of every day from now to FA to try and get him to stay. Ceresna is the only defensive player they have that has really earned his money.

Even that trade I would never have gotten behind AT THE TIME if the 1st round pick wasn't conditional on us re-signing him.

I just don't think bringing in a guy for 3 games and a playoff run is going to dramatically improve us enough to justify the cost. 

For a single year grey cup rental I’d probably want a de and a wil both all star type guys and maybe a bit of sweetener. Couldn’t say no to Avery Williams and mauldin for instance. Even as rentals. Assuming kyrie wouldn’t be back. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

That suggests is was dirty (or could cause injury). Don't like that.

Does anyone remember when this happened? 

I would guess that on the pick he did some thing dirty. Considering blocks to the back seldom get flags little on fines I’d assume it was real bad. Which is strange Walker made some great disciplined plays  

I don’t suspect we will hear from the bombers. If it was legit dirty they’ll sit him this week. 

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

Have we been trading first round picks for American players not named Zach Collaros? Note I said high value Canadians. That doesn't usually mean 2nd of 3rd round picks

Cherry picking. 2nd to 4th round picks are worthy way more than you’re claiming. Who is available as an ni mid season that is better than that? 
 Teams that don’t draft well in the middle rounds don’t have high value Canadians. 
 How many first round picks in walters era are still on the roster? 3. How many are starters this year? 1. How many second rounders are on the roster? 5. How many are starters currently 2 plus couture and hallett. 3 out of the last 5 years no first round pick. You don’t want to see the split in ni starts for the bombers by draft round. The first round gets slaughtered. 
 Our retention of first round picks in that era is very low. What was faith ekakities value the year after he was picked first over all? 

44 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The bombers have lost more talent this year to the nfl, cfl fa and injuries than the riders have lost in the last 5 years. 
 The combined roster of loses since the 19 grey cup wins would be the second best team in the league easily. 

Interesting tidbit from Coach Hall about Rutledge getting pulled in the last game: 

• DC Richie Hall on Donald Rutledge, Jr. being replaced by Redha Kramdi last week: “He’s done a good job. One of the conversations I had with Rut is sometimes as a young player you hit the wall. We’ve played 15 games so far, plus two pre-season games, that’s almost two college seasons. It’s just long. It’s a grind and until you go through the grind you don’t know it.
    “We gave him the opportunity to sit back and just observe things from a different perspective. I’m not concerned regarding him. He’s got 15 games experience as far as playing with us and he’s going to be OK. It’s one of those that you don’t experience until you go through it. We talk about it and we talk about it, but until you physically go through it you don’t know.”

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Interesting tidbit from Coach Hall about Rutledge getting pulled in the last game: 

• DC Richie Hall on Donald Rutledge, Jr. being replaced by Redha Kramdi last week: “He’s done a good job. One of the conversations I had with Rut is sometimes as a young player you hit the wall. We’ve played 15 games so far, plus two pre-season games, that’s almost two college seasons. It’s just long. It’s a grind and until you go through the grind you don’t know it.
    “We gave him the opportunity to sit back and just observe things from a different perspective. I’m not concerned regarding him. He’s got 15 games experience as far as playing with us and he’s going to be OK. It’s one of those that you don’t experience until you go through it. We talk about it and we talk about it, but until you physically go through it you don’t know.”

MOS said it wasn’t injury related on the coaches show.

This explains it even more.

40 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Cherry picking. 2nd to 4th round picks are worthy way more than you’re claiming. Who is available as an ni mid season that is better than that? 
 Teams that don’t draft well in the middle rounds don’t have high value Canadians. 
 How many first round picks in walters era are still on the roster? 3. How many are starters this year? 1. How many second rounders are on the roster? 5. How many are starters currently 2 plus couture and hallett. 3 out of the last 5 years no first round pick. You don’t want to see the split in ni starts for the bombers by draft round. The first round gets slaughtered. 
 Our retention of first round picks in that era is very low. What was faith ekakities value the year after he was picked first over all? 

The bombers have lost more talent this year to the nfl, cfl fa and injuries than the riders have lost in the last 5 years. 
 The combined roster of loses since the 19 grey cup wins would be the second best team in the league easily. 

This is somewhat of a strawman argument as you were originally claiming we should be tossing away a 1st round draft pick for a top DE. Nobody goes into drafts with the mentality that they're going to draft the best players in the 2-4th rounds. Why don't we just pass when our turn comes up in the first round? But here is the actual success of our 1st round draft picks in recent history (dating back to Ekakite who you referenced):

2017 we had 2 first round selections, 1 was Ekakite (fail) but the other was Geoff Gray.

We drafted Drew Dejarlais and Jonathan Kongbo in 2019 in the 1st round. Reason we didn't have a 1st rounder in 2018 was because of the trade to get BCs first round pick in 2019.

2020 we didn't have a first round pick because we won the Grey Cup with Zach Collaros .

2021 we drafted Liam Dobson

2022 we traded our 1st rounder to move into the 2nd round and acquire Cameron Lawson

With all of the trades where we got rid of our 1st rounder it was to get more Canadians or Zach Collaros. Dejarlais and Kongbo might be gone but they helped us win a cup and we would still have a pretty good chance to sign them if they came back to the CFL.  Nothing above involved an American player.

Edited by BBlink

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

This is somewhat of a strawman argument as you were originally claiming we should be tossing away a 1st round draft pick for a top DE. Nobody goes into drafts with the mentality that they're going to draft the best players in the 2-4th rounds. Why don't we just pass when our turn comes up in the first round? But here is the actual success of our 1st round draft picks in recent history (dating back to Ekakite who you referenced):

2017 we had 2 first round selections, 1 was Ekakite (fail) but the other was Geoff Gray.

We drafted Drew Dejarlais and Jonathan Kongbo in 2019 in the 1st round. Reason we didn't have a 1st rounder in 2018 was because of the trade to get BCs first round pick in 2019.

2020 we didn't have a first round pick because we won the Grey Cup with Zach Collaros .

2021 we drafted Liam Dobson

2022 we traded our 1st rounder to move into the 2nd round and acquire Cameron Lawson

With all of the trades where we got rid of our 1st rounder it was to get more Canadians or Zach Collaros. Dejarlais and Kongbo might be gone but they helped us win a cup and we would still have a pretty good chance to sign them if they came back to the CFL.  Nothing above involved an American player.

2 cups