2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Stove was a guy on the way up we couldn't afford anymore. I don't hold it against him for going and taking BC's big bucks. Best of luck. He was a pure effort guy but our DL is so stacked we realistically can't afford a top DT salary.

And if he is looking for the kind of city Vancouver is then there is no way winnipeg can compare. For me I don't enjoy Vancouver as much as all that, but if that's your thing winnipeg is vastly inferior.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

And if he is looking for the kind of city Vancouver is then there is no way winnipeg can compare. For me I don't enjoy Vancouver as much as all that, but if that's your thing winnipeg is vastly inferior.

I suppose Winnipeg is much smaller but it is hardly vastly inferior. Vancouver has some good things going for it to be sure, but so does Winnipeg.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I suppose Winnipeg is much smaller but it is hardly vastly inferior. Vancouver has some good things going for it to be sure, but so does Winnipeg.

Winnipeg has no ocean, winnipeg has no mountains... it's a small podunk prairie city. I prefer it to Vancouver, but if someone likes the big major city with ocean and mountains Winnipeg just ain't in the same sphere at all.

48 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah, in the CFL.ca article, Stove even talked about how much he enjoyed that scenery when the Bombers would be playing out there.  He flat out said it played a part in his decision to leave so good for him getting paid and moving to an area he really enjoys.

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah, in the CFL.ca article, Stove even talked about how much he enjoyed that scenery when the Bombers would be playing out there.  He flat out said it played a part in his decision to leave so good for him getting paid and moving to an area he really enjoys.

I seriously think cold weather played a large factor. I remember seeing a quick shot of him on the sidelines during the West Final where an excited teammate was talking to him, and he was just standing there with one of those big puffy sideline jackets on just shaking his head and looking like he wanted to die.

21 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I seriously think cold weather played a large factor. I remember seeing a quick shot of him on the sidelines during the West Final where an excited teammate was talking to him, and he was just standing there with one of those big puffy sideline jackets on just shaking his head and looking like he wanted to die.

It’s really ridiculous to even be having the Western Finals in December. Time to start the season earlier so that we can end the season in ideally early November. 

4 minutes ago, White Out said:

Vancouver is a great place to live. But too expensive. I sometimes wonder how that effects a CFL free agents decision making 

If you’re a millionaire I think you really get to see the perks of living in Vancouver however if you play in the CFL in my personal opinion you can live a good life for the fraction of the cost in a place like Winnipeg. If this was the NHL I could certainly see the advantages of a big market, but when guys are making 50-150 I truly believe Winnipeg has some advantages. 

43 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

If you’re a millionaire I think you really get to see the perks of living in Vancouver however if you play in the CFL in my personal opinion you can live a good life for the fraction of the cost in a place like Winnipeg. If this was the NHL I could certainly see the advantages of a big market, but when guys are making 50-150 I truly believe Winnipeg has some advantages. 

There are lots of poor as **** people like living in Vancouver though.  It's just a different place than the prairies. 

Too many people by far for my tastes and too much of a bit of smugness in the population I think in regards to their city and weather and all that. I dunno beautiful place but I don't think I could ever see myself living there. Give me a cold winter with some sunshine as opposed to ******* rain all the damned time.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

There are lots of poor as **** people like living in Vancouver though.  It's just a different place than the prairies. 

Too many people by far for my tastes and too much of a bit of smugness in the population I think in regards to their city and weather and all that. I dunno beautiful place but I don't think I could ever see myself living there. Give me a cold winter with some sunshine as opposed to ******* rain all the damned time.

Yeah my dad retired and moved to Nanaimo after living 60+ years in Winnipeg. He said the rain is the hardest part for him. It gets depressing as hell day after day after day. Having said that it sure beats the absolute shitt winter we are having. 3rd snowiest Winnipeg winter on record so far since 1873, with well below average temperatures. Yeah thats shitty. Weve actually been spoiled over the last few years. The winters have been great.

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yeah my dad retired and moved to Nanaimo after living 60+ years in Winnipeg. He said the rain is the hardest part for him. It gets depressing as hell day after day after day. Having said that it sure beats the absolute shitt winter we are having. 3rd snowiest Winnipeg winter on record so far since 1873, with well below average temperatures. Yeah thats shitty. Weve actually been spoiled over the last few years. The winters have been great.

You guys should be grateful for a snowy winter. Lotta dry years out there lately the snow will help.

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You guys should be grateful for a snowy winter. Lotta dry years out there lately the snow will help.

Yeah we needed it. Its been super dry here for a few years now. I heard something on the radio months ago about Shoal Lake, where Winnipeg gets its water from, being like 4+ feet below normal. There was actually talk of possible Winnipeg water rationing this summer if we got another dry winter/spring. Which ironically is something that happens from time to time in Nanaimo.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Totally agree. I hate crowded streets and sidewalks and people with shitty attitudes making up a large portion of them. As for weather, Stove will be gone from their by early November, so our weather May-end of October beats Vancouver every day, all day and twice on Sunday....unless you enjoy rain, gloom, and hate the sun, and in the off chance that BC gets a playoff spot well Stove....it's a visit to Winnipeg at some point in all likelihood...get your long johns ready.

Of course, maybe that is it....he enjoys the shorter football season the Lions will provide.

4 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He’s good but we will see how he does without having the two best defensive ends in the CFL on either side of him. 

He'll still do well, but it won't be enough to make that DL any good.

Edited by GCn20

Yeah....one lineman does not a dominating dline make..maybe if there was already a stud...and another above average guy then that be a good situ..but he gonna be getting the majority of blocking attention until someone else there..and most likely 2 others take up some attention.

He's good...but will get negated like Micha Johnson did when he first got to Sask.

He doesn't have a couple Jeff's...and Sayles and a Biggie constantly creating havoc while being rested with a kongbo and Hansen rotating in

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I left Winnipeg in 68' when my family all moved to Nanaimo....Couldn't take the rain so moved back to the Peg where my heart and a lot of my family still resided.....I eventually went back to Nanaimo and got a job with the City and am now retired there myself...Do I miss those 40 below days....nope but it sure was a big change moving from West Kildonan, where I grew up, to the coast, where Wpg's municipality was bigger than the City of Nanaimo ...It's a lot bigger now and apparently one of the fastest growing cities in the country....Andrew Harris played for the Raiders( where he got his start) just down the street from where I live....Didn't know that he would eventually move back and play for the Bombers at the time, but was happy when  he did ..Anyway there's a few more connections on the Island to the Peg your dad might not be aware of ....Gerry James lives just up the highway from me and Randy Bachman (who I went to school with in the Peg) lives a short ferry ride from Nanaimo ..Small world sometimes

moved out here to the west coast in 1999.  previously, I lived in Ottawa which I believe is snowier than even Winnipeg. I loved the Seattle rain for the first decade just because I didn't have to shovel it.  I had a loooong driveway in Ottawa.  Now the rain gets me down just like everyone else.

What people don't tell you about is that our summers in Seattle are glorious, warm and dry.  The rain just shuts off and we get two months of gorgeous weather starting right around July 4th with manageable temps, tho lately the seasonal fires have been messing that up, and we got heatdomed hard last year.

I do miss the very late sunsets, clean air, amazing star-watching, and dramatic thunderstorms of my birth home in NWO.  They're nice things to visit.

Edited by johnzo

My folks lived in Nanaimo for a couple years before moving back to be closer to family. They say they'll go there again before their final years, but we'll see. I didn't mind it...I'd certainly take Nanaimo over AB (pretty much anywhere is preferable to AB these days...), it's an older town with not a lot in the way of fancy new buildings or even homes. Everything feels locked in about 1985. That was my take on it anyhow. I did like the proximity to water...that was my one big takeaway from it. My folks loved going to curling in the winter in just a light jacket....major upgrade from MB. 

All that said....to me, there is absolutely nowhere on the planet I'd rather be than EastMan or NW Ont. There is nothing more beautiful than the Canadian Shield, 12 months of the year. 

29 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Or even better... the next Wade Miller, John Huffnagel, Pinball Clemmons, Mike O'Shea, Kyle Walters???

Hell, those names are even mentioned in the article...

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

All that said....to me, there is absolutely nowhere on the planet I'd rather be than EastMan or NW Ont. There is nothing more beautiful than the Canadian Shield, 12 months of the year. 

I remember the first time I drove from Sault Ste. Marie to T-Bay in the springtime.  it was gorgeous, dramatic rock cuts, awesome lake views, little waterfalls everywhere. 

I've driven a lot of places and NWOnt is right up there with Utah and the Pacific Coast as the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Edited by johnzo

Housing has absolutely gone bonkers over the last couple of years in Nanaimo too. Makes sense seeing at its an island and only so much space available. My dad + stepmom sold their house 2 years ago. They had lived there for about 8 years and made like $250K on it over that time. They then bought a townhouse after selling there home and an identical model just sold a few months ago across the street from them for $200K more than they had paid for theres. Pretty good 2 year growth lol. Jesus.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

34 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

Or even better... the next Wade Miller, John Huffnagel, Pinball Clemmons, Mike O'Shea, Kyle Walters???

I wouldn't necessarily blame the media specifically in this case.... this is 3downnation we're talking about here.  It's a glorified blog site.  The headline is s**t but they do mention all those guys (and others) in the actual article.

Gotta say, I'd go back to Vancouver in a heat beat if I could afford it. Love the weather. Not as much rain as I was expecting and the city shuts down the 2 days it snows each year. Beautiful City. Great food. Great parks. Go to the beach in the city. Walk everywhere if you live downtown or take the skytrain if you don't. Skiing in the winter. Trips to Seattle or down to the warehouse stores for my wife whenever we wanted. It was paradise for us. 

I wouldn't move back to Winnipeg if you paid me.