2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Name one QB that has developed under Lapo.... maybe Durant? In all his years coaching in the cfl...

That could be said about a lot of successful OC's. In the past 10 years, only 2 teams have won Grey Cups with a QB developed by their club. Lapolice is one of the two OCs in the past 10 years that can say that. I get that you hate him, but let it go, he is Ottawa's problem now and you are really starting to reach.

Edited by GCn20

58 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Strev was much better in his first season with us because the offense he ran was simple and he just made quick reads or busted out big runs when he saw holes.  

In season 2 they were far to cute with some of the play selection and tried to force big running plays with him far to often.  It didn't seem natural.     

If he were to come back I'd want them to treat him like a normal qb instead of trying to make it seem like he can bust out bulldozing sneaks or weird misdirection sweeps.   

exactly...this was a classic case of how to stagnate and ***** a players progression...look at yr 1

140 att 86 comp 61.4 % 1134  yds 8.1 avg 11 td 7.9 td% 5 int 3.6 int % 65 long     

98.3 Rating

Not bad for a raw rookie with 2 yrs of QB experience as a starter in college when allowed to actually play QB...

Last yr of college was 316 of 481 for 4183 yards and 32 TD's...also ran for 720 yards and 11 TD's....so tis narrative of he cant throw is wildly exaggerated. Let him play actual QB and not gimmick boy.  Threw for 52 td's and 6100 yards in 2 seasons and23 games...for comparison...in 45 games The Faj (4 seasons and 45 games) threw for 9600 yards and 52 TD's....and apparently he is the next coming

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

That could be said about a lot of successful OC's. In the past 10 years, only 2 teams have won Grey Cups with a QB developed by their club. Lapolice is one of the two OCs in the past 10 years that can say that. I get that you hate him, but let it go, he is Ottawa's problem now and you are really starting to reach.

Qbs developed under and improved by oc aren't the same thing. 

Lots of qbs have developed to various extents under under coaches in the last 10 years. No qb has improved under plop. 

Chad Kelly has the distinction of being the 'Mr Irrelevant' of his draft class, being the last player selected in is NFL draft year. His draft stock took a hit due to injuries and pleading guilty to disorderly conduct after fighting some bouncers and resisting arrest. We are a league of second chances, always have been

12 hours ago, Booch said:

Streveler you have to remember is/was still learning....he came here with really only 2 yrs of true starting under his belt, and did fairly well right out of the gate, as a pure rookie.

He in my opinion got stunted here by Lapo once he realized what kind of runner and beast he was, and didnt allow him to really be a true QB or work on anything in practice to actually develop...they shoved him in this "box" of what they wanted to use him as and never let him out of it....how's a guy supposed to develp?

There is nothing wrong with his arm strength...I was at the stadium when he first came up, and was still unsigned, and he had to practice after the team....had him throwing to Bison players, with all types of throws, as well into the net, and throwing to spots on the field...and was dead on and looked great. I had no clue who this was, and thought if that was the Bison QB they brought in..then damn!!!

LaPo has no idea how to develop a qb. He was a receiver in D3. He's never had to stare down a blitz. Or standing in there while his pocket collapses waiting for a receiver to get open knowing he's going to get killed but does it anyway. He ran routes. LaPo is totally overrated. i expect we'll see it now with Massoli as his qb. He'll have no more excuses left.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

LaPo has no idea how to develop a qb. He was a receiver in D3. He's never had to stare down a blitz. Or standing in there while his pocket collapses waiting for a receiver to get open knowing he's going to get killed but does it anyway. He ran routes. LaPo is totally overrated. i expect we'll see it now with Massoli as his qb. He'll have no more excuses left.

boring-yawn.gif

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

16 hours ago, Booch said:

exactly...this was a classic case of how to stagnate and ***** a players progression...look at yr 1

140 att 86 comp 61.4 % 1134  yds 8.1 avg 11 td 7.9 td% 5 int 3.6 int % 65 long     

98.3 Rating

Not bad for a raw rookie with 2 yrs of QB experience as a starter in college when allowed to actually play QB...

Last yr of college was 316 of 481 for 4183 yards and 32 TD's...also ran for 720 yards and 11 TD's....so tis narrative of he cant throw is wildly exaggerated. Let him play actual QB and not gimmick boy.  Threw for 52 td's and 6100 yards in 2 seasons and23 games...for comparison...in 45 games The Faj (4 seasons and 45 games) threw for 9600 yards and 52 TD's....and apparently he is the next coming

His last year in college he had a streak of some thing like 10 games with out a turn over too. 

Streveler isnt michael vick. There are a LOT of better running qbs with limited arms. He didnt get to the NFL because he was a sick athlete and couldn't throw. Blake Jackson, converted to a WR is a better running threat QB. Streveler is a 1 cut runner. Strong af, and more 20/40 yard fast than pure quick acceleration guy. Running QBs who are fast twitch quick, able to cut and re cut are the most dangerous. 

On a side note I'd like to see Jackson get some reps here in camp as a KR. He's like a bigger, quicker jenarion grant. 

8 hours ago, Jesse said:

Matt Nichols?

Didnt get better under plop. Edm got rid of him because he did the same thing with them as he did here. Production went up because the OL went from terrible to great. If any thing, Nichols got worse. But thats due to injuries, not plop. Go look at his runs of 20-40 yards from 12-17. Also look at his game high lights from edm. He was the same quality passer in 14-15 as he was here. 

Also go back and look at all the high upside low experience Developmental QBs we had under plop. Streveler, Bennett, Davis to the rest. Most of them had very, very little experience. Davis and bennett had the amount of college and hs reps combined that streveler had. Guys like that should show improvement quickly with dedicated pro coaching. 

Plop had davis for what 5 years combined? And even in a second stint with him as his starter he was the same guy he was when he arrived here. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

His last year in college he had a streak of some thing like 10 games with out a turn over too. 

Streveler isnt michael vick. There are a LOT of better running qbs with limited arms. He didnt get to the NFL because he was a sick athlete and couldn't throw. Blake Jackson, converted to a WR is a better running threat QB. Streveler is a 1 cut runner. Strong af, and more 20/40 yard fast than pure quick acceleration guy. Running QBs who are fast twitch quick, able to cut and re cut are the most dangerous. 

On a side note I'd like to see Jackson get some reps here in camp as a KR. He's like a bigger, quicker jenarion grant. 

Didnt get better under plop. Edm got rid of him because he did the same thing with them as he did here. Production went up because the OL went from terrible to great. If any thing, Nichols got worse. But thats due to injuries, not plop. Go look at his runs of 20-40 yards from 12-17. Also look at his game high lights from edm. He was the same quality passer in 14-15 as he was here. 

Also go back and look at all the high upside low experience Developmental QBs we had under plop. Streveler, Bennett, Davis to the rest. Most of them had very, very little experience. Davis and bennett had the amount of college and hs reps combined that streveler had. Guys like that should show improvement quickly with dedicated pro coaching. 

Plop had davis for what 5 years combined? And even in a second stint with him as his starter he was the same guy he was when he arrived here. 

yup..Strev has speed...but not elite...what make him different is he gets up to speed fast with power, and its hard to get him until he has a good head of steam...and yeah he didnt get a 2 yr look in NFL if he couldnt pass, or was flawed.....the workouts are extensive and very particular for QB's...so if there were red flags he would have never got a chance, let alone hung around as long as he did

He suffers from basically not getting a chance in a offence geared to some of his strengths, but not focused on it, and a lack of reps....give him the reigns of an offence 100% to grow into, and he will win you a lot more than he will lose, and on a team like ours....could get u a cup

2 hours ago, Booch said:

yup..Strev has speed...but not elite...what make him different is he gets up to speed fast with power, and its hard to get him until he has a good head of steam...and yeah he didnt get a 2 yr look in NFL if he couldnt pass, or was flawed.....the workouts are extensive and very particular for QB's...so if there were red flags he would have never got a chance, let alone hung around as long as he did

He suffers from basically not getting a chance in a offence geared to some of his strengths, but not focused on it, and a lack of reps....give him the reigns of an offence 100% to grow into, and he will win you a lot more than he will lose, and on a team like ours....could get u a cup

His running style reminds me of jessie lumsden, especially when he'd play us. 

Idk who that team is right now though. Would be a smart move for BC, especially since their ol still sucks but they have dangerous wrs.  But they seem all in on going ni at qb. Edm has like 6 guys on the roster, 2 are locks and a 3rd blue chip prospect. Stamps are locked in on maier and blm, Ott is all in with masoli, mtl isnt biting with harris and vaj, ham isnt either. 

Tor has 4 guys locked in including crazy kelly and crazier MBT. They also brought in pipkin as kind of a vet. But they have the right coach imo. They have various offensive weapons and a willingness to hand out money that doesnt make sense. Still, Streveler would have to be going in as a back up and not expect a big base salary or bonus. 

Ssk, I hate this thought but at first glance the logistics look good. They have 2 guys, and 1 former nfl draft pick qb but no legit back up. Strevy could run the same packages as fajardo, if he went down they wouldnt have to adjust any thing. The issue I see here, other than strevy going to the durpside and again accepting a role as a back up with limited money available, is CF him self. I dont think he'd be happy at all if the riders signed Strevy fresh off the NFL to back him up. Thats too much like competition. 

That just leaves us. I dont see any one at this point giving strevy the lead of a team and an offense suited to him this year. 

43 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That just leaves us. I dont see any one at this point giving strevy the lead of a team and an offense suited to him this year. 

We could use him as we aren't exactly set in the back-up qb. dept......He certainly worked well with Zack and his running ability adds a lot....We could bring him in as a well paid back-up....re-establish himself and look around next year for a club needing a No 1.....IF he becomes available (apparently his nfl pr time is running out) I hope we make a decent effort in bringing him back

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

We could use him as we aren't exactly set in the back-up qb. dept......He certainly worked well with Zack and his running ability adds a lot....We could bring him in as a well paid back-up....re-establish himself and look around next year for a club needing a No 1.....IF he becomes available (apparently his nfl pr time is running out) I hope we make a decent effort in bringing him back

Yeah seems like it'd be a great fit but idk if the money is there for him. 

19 hours ago, Geebrr said:

FFS

Tell me you know nothing about playing in the CFL without telling me you know nothing about playing in the CFL….

Sounds like another player thinking they can just light up our league because they threw a football in College and ran once for zero yards in the NFL lmao. 

56 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Tell me you know nothing about playing in the CFL without telling me you know nothing about playing in the CFL….

Sounds like another player thinking they can just light up our league because they threw a football in College and ran once for zero yards in the NFL lmao. 

Yup, I personally don't have any problems with new players stating this is their intention. However, history has taught us that players who say this to the media or on social media, almost never make any kind of impact on the league. As a fan, that's a big red flag to me.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

His running style reminds me of jessie lumsden, especially when he'd play us. 

Idk who that team is right now though. Would be a smart move for BC, especially since their ol still sucks but they have dangerous wrs.  But they seem all in on going ni at qb. Edm has like 6 guys on the roster, 2 are locks and a 3rd blue chip prospect. Stamps are locked in on maier and blm, Ott is all in with masoli, mtl isnt biting with harris and vaj, ham isnt either. 

Tor has 4 guys locked in including crazy kelly and crazier MBT. They also brought in pipkin as kind of a vet. But they have the right coach imo. They have various offensive weapons and a willingness to hand out money that doesnt make sense. Still, Streveler would have to be going in as a back up and not expect a big base salary or bonus. 

Ssk, I hate this thought but at first glance the logistics look good. They have 2 guys, and 1 former nfl draft pick qb but no legit back up. Strevy could run the same packages as fajardo, if he went down they wouldnt have to adjust any thing. The issue I see here, other than strevy going to the durpside and again accepting a role as a back up with limited money available, is CF him self. I dont think he'd be happy at all if the riders signed Strevy fresh off the NFL to back him up. Thats too much like competition. 

u also have to factor in where he "wants" to be...that holds a lot of weight too.

And a prorated mid season pick up would fit us well....if it came down to him exhausting all options down south first.

Maybe the quality backup market was set with the Harris deal??..who knows, but I am sure we could find a way to fit 125-150k in....For one season...I totally can see him coming back to the team he knows and loves for a friendly deal...2023 tho be a different story, especially if he comes back better than he was

33 minutes ago, Booch said:

u also have to factor in where he "wants" to be...that holds a lot of weight too.

And a prorated mid season pick up would fit us well....if it came down to him exhausting all options down south first.

Maybe the quality backup market was set with the Harris deal??..who knows, but I am sure we could find a way to fit 125-150k in....For one season...I totally can see him coming back to the team he knows and loves for a friendly deal...2023 tho be a different story, especially if he comes back better than he was

I gotta feel like he wants to come back to Winnipeg but who knows things change with years money and opportunity speaks volumes. We've lost plenty of guys since 19. 

I would love to see strevy back. If the nfl doesn't work out I feel like it'd be as good a fit as any team. 

21 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Qbs developed under and improved by oc aren't the same thing. 

Lots of qbs have developed to various extents under under coaches in the last 10 years. No qb has improved under plop. 

Matt Nichols went from 3rd string cut adrift to starter among the league leaders. Steven Jyles, albeit a brief stop here, went from 3rd string to leagues best passing rating under Lapo and then quickly regressed after leaving. Hell, even Collaros who had lost his job and was twice traded found his game in Lapo's offence.

I get that Lapo's offence is boring and not much fun to watch but I completely disagree that a QB can't flourish in it. In fact, i would suggest it is a perfect system for some QBs to hide their deficiencies in.

Edited by GCn20

16 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Matt Nichols went from 3rd string cut adrift to starter among the league leaders. Steven Jyles, albeit a brief stop here, went from 3rd string to leagues best passing rating under Lapo and then quickly regressed after leaving. Hell, even Collaros who had lost his job and was twice traded found his game in Lapo's offence.

I get that Lapo's offence is boring and not much fun to watch but I completely disagree that a QB can't flourish in it. In fact, i would suggest it is a perfect system for some QBs to hide their deficiencies in.

Nichols started frequently in edm. They pushed him back down the depth chart because of low yard production and frequen 2 and outs despite enough to win most starts. 

Jyles was never starter material in this league. 

Collaros didn't find his game under plop. He stayed healthy and had an ol to keep him up right. The difference between his play under plop and buck is night and day. 

It's not that they can't produce enough to win in it. And it's not just his system. He isn't a qb coach. He doesn't develop their skills at all. Yes his system hides diffencies like not be able to throw down field but that's how you prevent improvement. Hiding weak spots limits growth.