Biggest question coming out of Sundays win

Booch

14 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I re-watched and paused that Duke "catch" yesterday, going over it at least 10 times, and it's clear as day you can see the tip of the ball hit the ground.  It's not even close.  Someone needs to be fired over that call, that's beyond incompetence.

Seems like instead of making the proper call they didn’t want the call to determine the outcome. Absolutely ridiculous and not right. If this was a play in the first half no doubt it gets over turned. Completely bush league. 

46 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Seems like instead of making the proper call they didn’t want the call to determine the outcome. Absolutely ridiculous and not right. If this was a play in the first half no doubt it gets over turned. Completely bush league. 

also if it had been a second down instead of a third down.  Over-turning that call, albeit the right call to make, would probably have handed the game to the Bombers, and obviously the command center didn't have the cajones to do the right thing.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

also if it had been a second down instead of a third down.  Over-turning that call, albeit the right call to make, would probably have handed the game to the Bombers, and obviously the command center didn't have the cajones to do the right thing.

It really shouldn’t matter. A clear missed call should be overturned. That’s the point of having it. 
They should also have video of Duke poking BA in the eye as well or at least acknowledge it…. It was clear as day. 

53 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

But by not making the proper call you also determine the outcome because if they rule it correctly it's bomber ball. 

***** officiating and it drives me nuts. Call it like it is because it's the integrity of the game at stake.

From the stands, it was hard to see the reply on the jumbotron. It was clear that the ball touched the ground, but from a few angles the illusion was that he caught it and dragged it back under control touching the ground, but not using the ground to trap it. My brother watching on TV in Toronto (and not biased for or against either team) said clearly no catch. The replay on sportscentre with the magnified enhanced close-up showed that the ball did indeed hit the ground and roll before he had control. So did the command centre not have access to that enhanced replay? Also, is there still a time limit on how long replays are allowed to take (thought there was a rule on that, maybe I am confusing it for the time allowed to whistle down to the on-field officials about a booth review). In any event, they should not rush to make a decision if it means not getting enough time or angles to properly review a call. 

One of the biggest problems with video review in my mind is what the rules governing it are. The review booth is instructed to not overturn a call if it is questionable or marginal. They do not want to take away the human element and get involved in ticky-tack penalty calls (close PI or ball spot with a weird camera angle or illegal contact) where the on-field guys are in the closest proximity to call it or not and have a feel for the play (say legal hand fighting vs PI). So unless clearly wrong, do not overturn. That leads to “deference to the on-field guys” instead of “our ruling stands no matter what”. But the on-field officials know there is an eye in the sky to cover them, and I think it leads them to be gunshy and not trust their own calls figuring a video review can get it right later. So you have officials on-field hesitant to make a strong call, a replay booth afraid to overturn them, and both sides deferring to each other as the final arbiter with no one taking charge. Either get rid of video if you want to keep the on-field officials in charge, or give it more power to be the final say, no matter how marginal. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

From the replays in the stands, you could clearly see it hit the ground and roll before he pulled it up. 

And how did he manage to hold onto it while also knocking himself out or knocking the wind out at least? Another reason I think he knew he didn’t make the catch and acted injured to save face. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Bailey's catch in the Grey Cup in 2019 was more of a catch than that..he had one hand on top and when he hit the ground he had is other hand against the ball..albeit the back of his hand...but still 2 hands on it...Duke's "catch"...ball clearly had tip bounce on ground, and you can also see ball roll on the ground in his "possession"...total garbage call and lack of Onions on the command center to not over turn it

OMG Booch, I had the exact same thought and was going to post something similar.

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

From the replays in the stands, you could clearly see it hit the ground and roll before he pulled it up. 

I was last row upper deck centre field, so I was as far away from the Jumbotron as you could get. Closer up it was more obvious I am sure. Which begs the question, how bad is the eyesight of the video review officials?

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Defeats the purpose of the command centre.

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Defeats the purpose of the command centre.

It’s not perfect but I feel like video replay was much better 10 plus years ago and that was with the dated equipment. The last couple of years it’s honestly tough to find any consistency and to even get the play correct. It’s sad that it’s seemed to being going backwards not forwards. 

33 minutes ago, JCon said:

I was surprised that the crowd didn't meltdown more. There were some boos for about 5-10 seconds then it was just straight back to business. Everyone in the building stayed confident that they'd get the job done regardless.

It was so obvious that the one Rider fan in my whole section got up and left as soon as he saw the replay. He was down in the concourse by the time the call was made

Edited by Dr Zaius

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I re-watched and paused that Duke "catch" yesterday, going over it at least 10 times, and it's clear as day you can see the tip of the ball hit the ground.  It's not even close.  Someone needs to be fired over that call, that's beyond incompetence.

S6Ojyjd.png

That pass to Williams was incomplete.....you call it that....You don't mamby pamby around because of the importance or time in the game....it was incomplete you call it....Maybe the refs didn't want to call it on the field because it was so important a call BUT the review booth has to call it correctly as by that picture...thanks to kelownabomberfan,,,,is undeniable....If the booth wants to make calls like that then they are totally incompetent and not needed....We need an alternative

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

From the stands, it was hard to see the reply on the jumbotron. It was clear that the ball touched the ground, but from a few angles the illusion was that he caught it and dragged it back under control touching the ground, but not using the ground to trap it. My brother watching on TV in Toronto (and not biased for or against either team) said clearly no catch. The replay on sportscentre with the magnified enhanced close-up showed that the ball did indeed hit the ground and roll before he had control. So did the command centre not have access to that enhanced replay? Also, is there still a time limit on how long replays are allowed to take (thought there was a rule on that, maybe I am confusing it for the time allowed to whistle down to the on-field officials about a booth review). In any event, they should not rush to make a decision if it means not getting enough time or angles to properly review a call. 

One of the biggest problems with video review in my mind is what the rules governing it are. The review booth is instructed to not overturn a call if it is questionable or marginal. They do not want to take away the human element and get involved in ticky-tack penalty calls (close PI or ball spot with a weird camera angle or illegal contact) where the on-field guys are in the closest proximity to call it or not and have a feel for the play (say legal hand fighting vs PI). So unless clearly wrong, do not overturn. That leads to “deference to the on-field guys” instead of “our ruling stands no matter what”. But the on-field officials know there is an eye in the sky to cover them, and I think it leads them to be gunshy and not trust their own calls figuring a video review can get it right later. So you have officials on-field hesitant to make a strong call, a replay booth afraid to overturn them, and both sides deferring to each other as the final arbiter with no one taking charge. Either get rid of video if you want to keep the on-field officials in charge, or give it more power to be the final say, no matter how marginal. 

The frustrating part for us... which you're failing to mention... is this was NOT "ticky tack" or "marginal"... it was VERY CLEARLY not a catch... it was a rare moment where CFL twitter was almost unanimously in agreement (save for some Rider fans, of course)... the command centre just didn't have the balls to make the right call.

BTW, this isn't meant to be an attack on your post.... I agree on the points you've made as to why they might not overturn some stuff... this was just not one of those moments.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I agree with lots of this, especially your thoughts on the on-field guys being gun-shy. I've been saying for a long time that officials seem to be hesitant to make decisions.  I also get that referees don't want to decide the game unless they have to. This call clearly, or non-call absolutely could've decided the game in Saskatchewan's favour and I'm glad it didn't.

And finally, the CFL needs to perhaps make decisions and reasoning by the command centre public, kinda like Department of Player Safety in the NHL. We may not agree with the decision, but at least we might see their decision-making process.

47 minutes ago, Stickem said:

That pass to Williams was incomplete.....you call it that....You don't mamby pamby around because of the importance or time in the game....it was incomplete you call it....Maybe the refs didn't want to call it on the field because it was so important a call BUT the review booth has to call it correctly as by that picture...thanks to kelownabomberfan,,,,is undeniable....If the booth wants to make calls like that then they are totally incompetent and not needed....We need an alternative

That was actually Brandon but thanks for the shout-out!