Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sweep the leg

Collaros signs 2 year deal

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

This is an unbelievably bad contract. I am gobsmacked. I guess there was a hefty price to pay to lure him away from Toronto after all.

Yes, a Chevy Cavalier held together with duck tape will always be a much better deal than a Jaguar. Unless of course, you want to drive something really nice and don't mind paying for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Noeller said:

that much "hard money" means bye bye Nichols for sure, now. He's off to Toronto, unless the RBs can't get Arbuckle signed, in which case he goes there for sure...

Yes, Nichols and Lapo would be perfect for each other. Just imagine the completion percentage for 5 yard dump-offs they're going to engineer together in Ottawa. If that doesn't bring out the fans there nothing will!

If he lands in Toronto to hand off to Wilder Jr., with that O-line,  that should electrify the league and bring the Argos right into the mix. Hell, Walker will be likely to go off for four, maybe five hundred yards! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

https://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-qb-zach-collaros-to-two-year-extension-1.1433446

 

With Collaros signed, fellow Blue Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols is expected to hit free agency next month. Nichols had served as the team's starting quarterback since 2015 when suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in August. His agent said last week that Nichols was "a little bit upset" over the team's decision to prioritize signing Collaros. 

I can see why Matt is upset but this is business.  It's not personal. I was happy to hear what a team guy Nichols was in the QB room when Collaros was brought in, and I hope that he received a big playoff bonus cheque, because he deserved it. Now I wish him all the best in Ottawa with Lapo.

 

You would think there would be some level of understand in Nichols that Collaros literally won the Grey Cup as the starting QB.  Its not like Nichols didn't have opportunities in previous years. Last year it wouldn't have taken much of a game at the QB position for us to get past Calgary but we didn't get a whole lot in the West final. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

It’s unlikely to happen. But let’s say Toronto was interested in Nichols and wanted to get that done early so they can know where they are at heading into free agency it would make a degree of sense. But yeah it won’t happen.  It wasn’t intended as an overly serious comment. 

Heck, why not? Toronto took Willy. Why not Nichols?  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yes, Nichols and Lapo would be perfect for each other. Just imagine the completion percentage for 5 yard dump-offs they're going to engineer together in Ottawa. If that doesn't bring out the fans there nothing will!

If he lands in Toronto to hand off to Wilder Jr., with that O-line,  that should electrify the league and bring the Argos right into the mix. Hell, Walker will be likely to go off for four, maybe five hundred yards! 

Behind that o-line in TO Nichols might wind up with both feet pointing in the wrong direction...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Winning the cup made collaros untouchable here. 

 

Gotta hope Nichols lands on his feet though. The work he did to help turn this team around means a lot and always will.

He is untouchable behind our OL too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, J5V said:

Yes, a Chevy Cavalier held together with duck tape will always be a much better deal than a Jaguar. Unless of course, you want to drive something really nice and don't mind paying for it.

Or you buy the Jaguar and find out it has a Chevy Cavalier engine under the hood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mike said:

Interesting - same bonus as what Nichols got last year and even though he went down, that didn't seem to cripple our cap flexibility at all, did it?

Nope didn't cripple us because we were fortunate enough to be able to swing a late season deal for a bonafide starter on a very low contract last year. Are you suggesting we ride our number 2 (likely McGuire) and then trade two draft picks just before the playoffs again. Who will be the QB available this year? We did what we had to do last year and were fortunate enough that circumstance allowed us to find a perfect scenario to do so, but that 225k could have easily crippled us had ZC not been available and at a very friendly salary.

Maybe Masoli will be our guy this year to save us from a QB injury with big money sunk into it already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Nope didn't cripple us because we were fortunate enough to be able to swing a late season deal for a bonafide starter on a very low contract last year. Are you suggesting we ride our number 2 (likely McGuire) and then trade two draft picks just before the playoffs again. Who will be the QB available this year? We did what we had to do last year and were fortunate enough that circumstance allowed us to find a perfect scenario to do so, but that 225k could have easily crippled us had ZC not been available and at a very friendly salary.

Maybe Masoli will be our guy this year to save us from a QB injury with big money sunk into it already.

Not what he was getting at at all....It didn't cripple us as we were not in SMS crunch and had surplus left over to re-sign quite a few guys, and really a large upfront chunk is par for the course in the CFL for a pivot...so we all in the same boat, that being said we were in better position than other teams SMS wise as we didn't have several guys eating up gobs of the SMS...

Further to that we only were on the hook for what...2 game day cheques at his prorated amount so basically peanuts...it would have been peanuts pretty much as well for who-ever was picked up. Will be a similar scenario again this year if it comes down to it..and if Zack goes down mid-season...end of season...first 3rd of season then his remainder whatever it is goes off the books and we work within what we have...that bonus...like with Matt's last year, and previous years is already accounted for and removed from in-season surplus, so the GM knows exactly what they will need to work with, and pretty sure Walter's and company have gone over all scenarios of the what if's since the season ended and they had to decide who they were going with

AND if we need to roll with McGuire for an extended period in-season for some reason I am more than okay and confident with him for some reason from watching him all year, and knowing his history...he is more a true QB than Streveler and the speed of going through reads and comfort in the pocket is better, so behind our line, and the run game we have...he will manage just fine...he also has the best arm of all guys we have had in the system for last 4-5 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a little surprised I didn't see any other Bomber players re-tweeting or tweeting about the Collaros signing. The active twitter guys like Bighill, Harris, Pierce, Hardrick, Bryant, etc, nothing. Hell Willie Jefferson re-tweeted the Vernon Adams signing but nothing about Collaros lol. Hopefully the guy is liked in the locker room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JCon said:

Just going to go back and delete the posts where I thought he wouldn't play and if he did, he would just get injured. Then, I'll go and erase all the posts where I said he wouldn't re-sign. 

I really wasn't expecting to have to do a lot of work today. This is going to seriously impact my forum surfing. 

 

would you mind deleting a few of my posts as well please? Sure didn't think we had a chance in the Collaros sweapstakes. Really didn't think we'd give up the draft pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I was a little surprised I didn't see any other Bomber players re-tweeting or tweeting about the Collaros signing. The active twitter guys like Bighill, Harris, Pierce, Hardrick, Bryant, etc, nothing. Hell Willie Jefferson re-tweeted the Vernon Adams signing but nothing about Collaros lol. Hopefully the guy is liked in the locker room.

I would imagine that the Bomber brass asked some of our veteran players before making this decision.  From my impression this wasn't an easy decision at all and "character" could have easily flipped it.  I think that the players liked Matt too though and the radio silence is out of respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Nope didn't cripple us because we were fortunate enough to be able to swing a late season deal for a bonafide starter on a very low contract last year. Are you suggesting we ride our number 2 (likely McGuire) and then trade two draft picks just before the playoffs again. Who will be the QB available this year? We did what we had to do last year and were fortunate enough that circumstance allowed us to find a perfect scenario to do so, but that 225k could have easily crippled us had ZC not been available and at a very friendly salary.

Maybe Masoli will be our guy this year to save us from a QB injury with big money sunk into it already.

I'm always amazed how guys who have absolutely zero knowledge of the situation believe that they can figure it all out from the odd snippet of news (2nd hand at best) and just know how things are going to work before anything has even happened.  With that ability they really should spend a lot less time here and a lot more time playing the markets and racking in a fortune every  few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Booch said:

as long as a whack isn't in the form of a bonus then really whats the big deal...and what starting QB (PROVEN)  are you gonna get for less...ah right...nobody

He gets hurt...his guaranteed money goes on the 6 game and we don't get burned...no way he gets 225k250k upfront like him and Nichols got last year

That's what's really important imo for the Bombers. No huge upfront bonus to hurt our cap. And if he gets a serious injury ( God forbid its another bad concussion ) then he goes on the 6 game and his $$ doesn't go against the cap. Bombers are protected!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AKAChip said:

This offence will look pretty different with Buck and Collaros instead of LaPo and Nichols. Looking forward to some medium and deep routes and less checkdowns. 

And what's exciting is having a whole training camp for BP and ZC to get prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see the outrage at this contract...  not sure what people think starters get paid in this league - let alone fresh off a Grey Cup...

There is no QB out there that we could have signed without risk...  BC is heading into the season with a broken down Reilly, Harris hasn't won anything, BLM has questions, etc etc etc

$200k is standard signing bonus $$... $500k is what Arbuckle and Nichols will be asking for as well

I fully expect Jennings to end up here as our insurance and a Streveler type role for dirt cheap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

 I see Nichols has dropped everything Bomber related from his twitter profile lol. Yeah he aint coming back.

Not sure when he did that but I noticed it last week when the article about the club targeting Collaros.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Booch said:

AND if we need to roll with McGuire for an extended period in-season for some reason I am more than okay and confident with him for some reason from watching him all year, and knowing his history...he is more a true QB than Streveler and the speed of going through reads and comfort in the pocket is better, so behind our line, and the run game we have...he will manage just fine...he also has the best arm of all guys we have had in the system for last 4-5 years

Agreed. If Streveler is back with the team, don't be shocked if there's a true competition between him and McGuire for the back up QB job. I bet Buck Pierce is going to really take a long look at who has the most potential to be an impact starting QB in the CFL, and it might be McGuire more than Streveler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$225K is a huge bonus. Masoli for example got $175K. All of the bonus money is already gone from the SMS.

Bonuses don't get prorated over the season. Therefore, if Collaros goes on the 6 game, the $ saved are relatively small. It's the difference between 27.2K per game and 12K per game. {Whole salary / 18} vs {((Salary - Signing Bonus) /18) - (per game playing bonus) /18)) = 12K/game}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Not saying Mcguire won't be good but we literally say this about every back up quarterback we've ever had. Like every single one. Minus Goltz

Goltz was our anointed starter haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...