Matt Nichols is the worst starting QB in the CFL

blueandgoldguy

40 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

IF he catches the ball. With our receivers it's not a given. 

It’s not a given but 9/10 times he’s making that catch if it’s throw in stride on time. This is still pro ball, I respectfully feel like you’re being a litttleee dramatic. 

Not a given no, but neither is waking up each morning 

45 minutes ago, CodyT said:

It’s not a given but 9/10 times he’s making that catch if it’s throw in stride on time. This is still pro ball, I respectfully feel like you’re being a litttleee dramatic. 

Not a given no, but neither is waking up each morning 

Okay a little but our Int'l receivers are still bad. They stink.  These guys are the weakest in the CFL & have been for 5 seasons. 

Bombers have the worst passing attack in the league, right now.  Lack of poise and errant throws from Nichols, receivers who don't make plays, and a scheme that seems to go into a shell, as games wear on.   Until this gets straightened out - the losing will continue.

Edited by do or die

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Okay a little but our Int'l receivers are still bad. They stink.  These guys are the weakest in the CFL & have been for 5 seasons. 

We will not know good or bad our receivers are until we have a quarterback who can read, react and deliver the ball. That said why O'Shea is not using our two promising Canuck receivers (Peterman and Simonise) instead of Thompkins and Washington is beyond me. They may not be all-stars yet but they deserve a shot. Another example of poor coaching decisions.

7 hours ago, do or die said:

Bombers have the worst passing attack in the league, right now.  Lack of poise and errant throws from Nichols, receivers who don't make plays, and a scheme that seems to go into a shell, as games wear on.   Until this gets straightened out - the losing will continue.

Exactly and I would suggest on both sides of the ball.

Unfortunately for the Bombers, there is four quarters in the game.

57 minutes ago, TheBandit said:

Cmon guys he isnt the worst starting QB. You cannot honestly believe Pipkin and BT are better? Man even Lulay is nothing to bark at. Nichols is still a worthy QB to have.

Ok so he’s currently better than MBT or Pipkin. He’s 7th best in the league. Is that good enough to win (make?) the playoffs or win a championship? No!!!!

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

We will not know good or bad our receivers are until we have a quarterback who can read, react and deliver the ball. That said why O'Shea is not using our two promising Canuck receivers (Peterman and Simonise) instead of Thompkins and Washington is beyond me. They may not be all-stars yet but they deserve a shot. Another example of poor coaching decisions.

I think we already know how bad they are, unfortunately.  Simonise never showed he was ready to play but Petermann sure did & sitting on the bench is how O'Shea rewards him. Our HC has to go. 

3 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Just firing coaches QB's or any other players would just cost more money........ the easiest/cheapest thing to try right now is putting Streveler in and seeing if it sparks the team.

Give Matt the Banjo bowl and see how he responds. Let see if he can work out of the funk. If not, we have a bye-week to implement a new qb/offensive wrinkles/game plan. 

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Give Matt the Banjo bowl and see how he responds. Let see if he can work out of the funk. If not, we have a bye-week to implement a new qb/offensive wrinkles/game plan. 

Yes Matt will start the banjo bowl........but during the game I will have the volume cranked so I can hear the chants for "BIG CHRIS" to start right after the boo birds come out.....

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think we already know how bad they are, unfortunately.  Simonise never showed he was ready to play but Petermann sure did & sitting on the bench is how O'Shea rewards him. Our HC has to go. 

I would suggest to you that our QB needs to sit on the bench first. You always wanna fire guys when we lose but never actually tend to blame the main guy on the field. You should know the CFL is a QB driven league.. Ours sucks.. So de we.. Its no coincidence. 

33 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I would suggest to you that our QB needs to sit on the bench first. You always wanna fire guys when we lose but never actually tend to blame the main guy on the field. You should know the CFL is a QB driven league.. Ours sucks.. So de we.. Its no coincidence. 

I hope you say that in a generalist form as I was not advocating firing anyone every time we lost. The question I have for you is, if Streveler goes in & sucks, who would you replace him with? Nichols is already benched.  Brian Bennett would be the next punching bag up to play qb. Then if he fails, who then? Make a trade for an unproven backup & give up assets & a  first rounder in the process?  How stupid would that be?

It's not just Nichols. It's the offensive philosophy of spreading the field with short to medium range passes. This offense is all about a ball controlling passing game & patience. Putting up first downs & taking time off the clock. It's about the receivers getting YAC yards after the catch to get first downs as we always throw short. Do I like the schemes & philosophy? No, not a bit. Do we have the receivers to play in this offense? Nope. They can't break tackles because they aren't physical enough. Is the play calling suspect? Very much so.  Are we a vertical big play team? Nope. After a couple of games where Nichols missed open receivers earlier this season we've just given up trying. We are no threat to go deep. Combine that with Nichols bad play & we are struggling offensively. Bottom line.  So, as I said, it's not just Nichols. It's on everyone who plays & coaches offense. When this offense is clicking on all cylinders then it is fun to watch. When it isn't, it is absolutely brutal & not fun to watch at all. To me, a feast & famine offense. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Bob Irving tweet up on the right

"just broke down the Bomber game and you Nichols knockers aren’t going to like this but aside from a couple of throws, Nichols was solid. Bombers need more from their receivers. They lost in Regina because of turnovers and lousy kick cov’g, not quarterbacking.

Good write up by John Hodge on 3downnation. 221 yard average passing per game for 8 games; pretty much a 1:1 ratio TD passes to interceptions. You need more from a starting QB if you expect to win. Especially a $400K per year QB

http://3downnation.com/2018/09/03/nichols-feeds-critics-labour-day-classic-loss-nine-thoughts/

Edited by M.Silverback

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If Matt disliked the booing before, a stinker of a first half at the banjo bowl will be the stuff of legend from these fans.  MOS will have a quick hook out for Matt I bet. 

If there is a single Bombers' coach that is tonedeaf to the ire and vocal disapproval of fans - it is Mike O'Shea.