Matt Nichols is the worst starting QB in the CFL

blueandgoldguy

I personally hate that the Bombers and CFL in general have followed the lead of the LA Kings and others and are trying to use their social media for laughs or to be ironic.  

You’re a professional football team.  Don’t try to piggyback on jokes that have already been made by someone else.  It was funny once now it’s just tired.

I looked at quarterbacks drafted in the first round from 1996-2015, and compared their total rookie year starts to their average wins accrued per year as a professional starter.........Think even beyond the first round. Guys like Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, and Dak Prescott all seized 16-game starting roles in their rookie years and are franchise centerpieces to this day. The (NFL) league is trending towards throwing young signal callers right into the fire - and for the most part, the numbers are highly in favor of that philosophy.

gives some statistics to support that. 

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/8/6/17655388/how-rookie-year-playing-time-impacts-a-qbs-future-chances-of-success-new-york-jets-sam-darnold

I'm a stats person /sarcasm

Edited by Mark F

19 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't really think that would ever happen because these guys are essentially playing for their careers every week, especially the Americans.  I just don't believe that we have any receiver that is very versatile, of the ones we use.  They are all kind of one-dimensional and we have Dressler who is a great player but at the end of his career.

And we don't have Duron Carter.  I dont see our receivers taking plays off.. giving up on routes (anymore.. bowman) and I see them running hard as decoys and blocking..

20 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yah but you watch Masoli flee the pocket, re-set and find receivers down field.  Nichols does not even attempt to do that, once he's out of the pocket he's like a chicken on the run and usually just flings the ball out of bounds.  Not saying Nichols is as athletic as Masoli, but right now he doesn't have any composure.

no you are correct. he isnt masoli. he needs to have one of the two skill sets. right now he is lacking at both. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/09/04/quarterback-index-zach-back/

QB index....

MATT NICHOLS WPG
THIS WEEK: 7 | LAST WEEK: 5

No quarterback is safe from critical analysis, something Matt Nichols has learned the hard way throughout 2018. After guiding the Bombers to back-to-back playoff appearances, including their first at home since 2011, some fans are calling for a change under centre. Nichols threw for 166 yards against the Riders and is averaging 221 yards per game in 2018. He needs a big game in the rematch.

CFL.ca staff

This season is actually starting to remind me of 2008.

Bombers were expected to get back to the GC but for whatever reason Glenn schat the bed on us. We finished 8 - 10 and were one and done in the playoffs against Edmonton (who crossed over from the west). 

You could basically insert Nichols for Glenn above and it would be the same story all over again. 

8 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Bombers were expected to get back to the GC but for whatever reason Glenn schat the bed on us. We finished 8 - 10 and were one and done in the playoffs against Edmonton (who crossed over from the west). 

You could basically insert Nichols for Glenn above and it would be the same story all over again. 

That team went 6-2 after Labour Day and Glenn had a pretty good 2nd half of the season.

24 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Anyone remember what started the turnaround in 2008?

Didn't Glenn or Berry start calling the plays instead of the OC, the OC maybe got canned? 

Somebody refresh my memory....

Kevin Glenn called the plays for the game on August 14, 2008 against the Hamilton Ti-cats which resulted in a win. (source: https://archives.winnipegfreepress.com/winnipeg-free-press/2008-08-30/page-65/).

so they finished the season 6-2, made the playoffs and still proceeded to can Doug Berry?   If I remember correctly, that was a Lyle Bauer move, in wanting to get his old buddy The Professor back in the saddle!   Now there was a season for media!   Can you imagine if Twitter had been big when Mike Kelly was here!??  Oh my that would have made for some interesting banter!

39 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Didn't Glenn or Berry start calling the plays instead of the OC, the OC maybe got canned? 

Glenn called the plays in the 2nd half of the season.  Dinwiddie and Glenn were de-facto OC's.  Kit Cartwright and Berry helped with gameplanning but they called the plays.  It was a a total mess and got Doug Berry fired.  He totally lost that room and the players basically just said we are way better than this and played for each other.  

11 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

so they finished the season 6-2, made the playoffs and still proceeded to can Doug Berry?   If I remember correctly, that was a Lyle Bauer move, in wanting to get his old buddy The Professor back in the saddle!   Now there was a season for media!   Can you imagine if Twitter had been big when Mike Kelly was here!??  Oh my that would have made for some interesting banter!

Berry was a mess.  That was a veteran team that basically governed itself in the 2nd half of that season because he was such a rube who totally lost that team.  Firing him was justified.  Can't judge that based on a bad hire made following.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

My fuzzy memory seemed to be that the Bombers in 2007 and early 2008 would have a great first quarter on Offense and then disappear until late in the 4th.   I thought the bigger turnaround was a result of the offense actually coming to life for the full game without swaggerville needing to make big play after big play.   I don't remember the OC making a big difference. 

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

My fuzzy memory seemed to be that the Bombers in 2007 and early 2008 would have a great first quarter on Offense and then disappear until late in the 4th.   I thought the bigger turnaround was a result of the offense actually coming to life for the full game without swaggerville needing to make big play after big play.   I don't remember the OC making a big difference. 

Swaggerville didn't start until 2009.

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

A lot more happened that year, beyond Glenn.....

kind of like how Nichols wins in the last calendar year have mostly been against bad BC & TOR teams.  Football is very much a 'what have you done for me lately' business.  O'Shea seems to just sheepishly look at the win column and say 'he's won us a lot of football games'.  I looked at the stats this morning dating back to this time last year.... you can very much argue that the W's they've put up have been in spite of Nichols performances, not because of.

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎02 at 5:22 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

His 2nd half stats this season are absurdly poor.  First half are average.  For interest sake, Nichols has now posted 3 games of net offense worse than Streveler's worst against Hamilton this season, including his own start at home vs Hamilton.

Combination of Lapo, lack of reliable receivers and Nichols struggles = disaster.

Just imagine if Harris gets injured, how terrible this offense would be.

If 33 gets hurt, our season is over...He ran for close to a personal best at the LDC, and there's no way we should've lost that game with that kind of production.