2018 Matt Nichols

5 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Duron was released from Montreal and Saskatchewan......two teams with what I read a lot about here....have krappy management.  Maybe with good management he works out,  or it's his last last last chance ever.

I think he was kicked off every college team he was on too

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I thought someone posted that in College some coach or player said he would never stay in any locker rooms because of how selfish of a player he is.

Its hard to believe those mean guys would say such horrible things about Duron..

5 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I would say Trestman is much less opposed to change(cutting OL Brandon Washington, trading Shawn Lemon, benching Franklin) when guys are not producing, and is open to bringing in guys who are not "great guys" but great football players (interest in Duron Carter).

Hmmm.... a coach who has won the Grey Cup in his last 3 seasons in the CFL had no issues sitting down an underperforming QB in lieu of a complete CFL rookie.   I didn't think anyone did that....😲

27 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Hmmm.... a coach who has won the Grey Cup in his last 3 seasons in the CFL had no issues sitting down an underperforming QB in lieu of a complete CFL rookie.   I didn't think anyone did that....😲

Not within the borders of this province anyways....

22 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Not yet....but I think that day is coming quicker than what many might want to admit. 

Depending how the season plays out, Nichols will be in a battle in training camp. A tough decision will be coming

Edited by Ripper

10 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Depending how the season plays out, Nichols will be in a battle in training camp. A tough decision will coming

shouldn't be a tough decision if this level of play continues.... our highest paid player can't be performing at a mediocre level if we're going to be a contender.  Maybe we need to get Mike Kelly back in here for a midseason contract re-structuring discussion?   still can't believe that ever happened!

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Depending how the season plays out, Nichols will be in a battle in training camp. A tough decision will be coming

I was just thinking about the next two games....if Matt is below par in those two games,  And we lose the games..... the fans(boo birds specifically), will be restless come banjo bowl time...... 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Definitely. And let’s remember that this regime has been there before. Not too long ago Winnipeg was “Willypeg”. They’re loyal, but not stupid (maybe about WR’s ...) I trust they see what we do - Nichols is good, not elite; and Streveler could be something special. My only fear is Streveler gets an NFL look in the next year or two.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And what if Streveler doesn't take that next step? Then what? Let's not make a change until streveler has shown he is clearly better, which ha hasn't yet.

Fair point. But how does he take the next step on the bench? I like Nichols, but he is who he is. And at some point soon management has to decide whether it’s worth paying $400K plus per year for the sixth best starting QB in the league, or roll the dice on $200K or so for Streveler, who might end up being better.

IMO Strevelr looked better just based on the games he started for us this year.  Yes be loyal to Matt for a bit...... but it's almost time to give Streveler some meaningful reps when Matt isn't moving the offence efficiently enough.  Especially when losing by three scores or more...... QB controversy be damned ! We want a cup now ! 

Go Bombers

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Nichols has injuries in his past, streveler will get his playing time.

I would rather Streveler gets to play when Matt isn't doing well....maybe light a fire under matts butt.  

If you are insinuating Streveler will get to play once Matty is hurt again, well that seems like an odd way to go about it. 

20 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

IMO Strevelr looked better just based on the games he started for us this year.  Yes be loyal to Matt for a bit...... but it's almost time to give Streveler some meaningful reps when Matt isn't moving the offence efficiently enough.  Especially when losing by three scores or more...... QB controversy be damned ! We want a cup now ! 

Go Bombers

And you actually think Streveler will deliver us a Grey Cup? Do you come from an alternate universe? You should go back there as the Cleveland Browns have just won their 4th straight Super Bowl. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

And what if Streveler doesn't take that next step? Then what? Let's not make a change until streveler has shown he is clearly better, which ha hasn't yet.

Ahem ... this is a public service announcement from the voice of reason regarding other quarterback "changes" we have made in the last decade:

2008 - Kevin Glenn / Ryan Dinwiddie
2009 - Michael Bishop / Stefan LeFors
2010 - 2012 - Steven Jyles / Joey Elliot / Alex Brink / Buck Pierce
2013 - Max Hall / Justin Goltz
2014 - Drew Willy / Brian Brohm
2015 - Robert Marve / Dominique Davis / Matt Nichols

I've highlighted quarterbacks that have actually done something relevant (at least when they played with us) in bold. Grass isn't always greener on the other side ladies and gentlemen.

17 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Ahem ... this is a public service announcement from the voice of reason regarding other quarterback "changes" we have made in the last decade:

2008 - Kevin Glenn / Ryan Dinwiddie
2009 - Michael Bishop / Stefan LeFors
2010 - 2012 - Steven Jyles / Joey Elliot / Alex Brink / Buck Pierce
2013 - Max Hall / Justin Goltz
2014 - Drew Willy / Brian Brohm
2015 - Robert Marve / Dominique Davis / Matt Nichols

I've highlighted quarterbacks that have actually done something relevant (at least when they played with us) in bold. Grass isn't always greener on the other side ladies and gentlemen.

The highlighted QB's didn't win us a cup either...... Matt is our hope right now, these next two games are gonna be huge for fans to start wondering if the grass might be greener this time....

50 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Streveler gives the fans a sense of hope for a Grey Cup win as much as what Matt does at this point. 

Don’t include me as one of the fans that have a sense of hope with Steveler. Do you honestly expect that Streveler will win a Grey Cup before the venerable BLM?