As a competing fan. You can see greatness coming

3rd & 1

2 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

I don’t even know why it’s an issue, why should anyone be forced to be civil with a fan from another team on a bombers fan forum? It’s pretty clear In my opinion we don’t like them and if they choose to allow our fans on their board, great. 

When we choose to troll them here I think it’s our right. He can say all the half-hearted compliments he wants to get likes but I’m not buying it personally.

How about the concept that when we interact with others, the exchange reveals who we are?

On 2018-08-13 at 9:32 AM, 3RD AND 1 said:

So to those who did talk only football to me.

Alrighty then! Let's talk football, I love a friendly banter between our provincial neighbors. I agree that the Bombers and Riders are both proud, entertaining football teams that are the heartbeat of their respective communities. I set out to settle once and for all, in cold hard football facts, using math, that the Bombers are simply a flat out better team than the Riders. I began by comparing the overall records of the clubs since their inception by regular season, playoff totals and Grey Cup Wins:

Saskatchewan Roughriders
Regular season: 568-601-23 (47.65%)
Playoff record: 70-60-2  (53.03%)
Grey Cup record 4-15 (21.05%) How are you this bad.
Overall record: 642-676-25 (47.80%)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Regular season: 641-603-15 (50.91%)
Playoff record: 66-53-2 (54.54%)
Grey Cup record: 10-14 (41.67%)
Overall record: 717-670-17 (51.07%)

Look at that, better winning percentage for the Bombers in every category! I know, I know, all you Rider fans are gonna say "Yeah, but the Bombers haven't won a Grey Cup since 1990". A valid and albeit sore point of contention for Bomber fans. So I looked at the most woefully embarrassing period of history for the Bombers - their overall record during their current Grey Cup drought. For the sake of mercy, I've excluded the 2018 season as it would only serve to further Chris Jones' greatness as our lord and savior. As you quite kindly pointed out, every game is purely for entertainment, and as such we'll be focusing on the overall record of the teams, as regular season games have as much weight as any Grey Cup match for entertainment. Any Rider or Bomber fan knows the importance of the Labour Day / Banjo Bowl matchup is just as important as capturing Le Coupe de Grey.

Saskatchewan Roughriders (1990 to 2017 inclusive)
Regular season: 217-267-2 (44.65%)
Playoff record: 13-12 (52%)
Grey Cup record: 2-3 (40%)
Overall record: 232-282-2 (44.96%)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1991 to 2017 inclusive)
Regular season: 224-260-2 (46.09%)
Playoff record: 10-11 (47.62%)
Grey Cup record: 0-5 (0.00%)
Overall record: 234-276-2 (45.70%)

That's right, even in the Bombers most inept era consisting of famous QB greats like Alex Brink, Ryan Dinwiddie and Darian Durant, you guys still managed to eke out a worse overall record. Sure, you guys have a more recent Grey Cup wins, but you also took more than 50 years to win your first Grey Cup! At the current rate of a Rider Grey Cup win every 25 years, you guys would need to another (25 years * 6 Grey Cups) (don't forget to carry the 1) = 150 years to even match us! Are you even trying?

Also, troll harder - your green is showing.

16 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Has it really been so long since the Bombers were any good that hardly anybody here knows how to take a compliment on their team from some one else ?.....lol

This is patronizing bullshit. The real compliment from opposing fans is when they hate our team because they always kick their teams ass. 

30 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You can leave anytime & cheer for the Eskimos. Or any other team you'd like. You won't be missed. 

Lmao.......not a lot of funny bone in you eh speedy lol....

17to85 I will follow this part of the boards drama and see if I learn from it.......you all have been here longer than me so I will just lurk and try to learn who all the green monsters are.....

13 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

17to85 I will follow this part of the boards drama and see if I learn from it.......you all have been here longer than me so I will just lurk and try to learn who all the green monsters are.....

Don’t think too hard about it - it’s mostly stupidity. 

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I stand by my comments. You can leave anytime & cheer for "an elite team". The Argos are so desperate they'd welcome you with open arms.  They won the GC last season so they're elite. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2018-08-14 at 9:43 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I'm pretty sure it's Bingo Arms from Riderfans, he's posted before.

Really? I always thought he was one of the more open minded riderfans when I tried posting there briefly. 

I dont think its him.

Hes not a blind pom pom waving homer like 90% of them

On 2018-08-13 at 3:43 PM, 3RD AND 1 said:

Man I don’t understand some people. Insecurity causes anger.

Why do you come throwing daggers like that. It’s a friggen football game which is strictly entertainment. it’s suppose to be fun. You sound like blue and gold are your gang colours. Listen up Im here to talk football  nothing else . I’m not here being nicety nice as you put it. Im impressed with the Bombers so far this year. But like anything else  it can change  

Why is it so hard for people to stay on topic. 

Ah! I would strongly suggest to you to return or join riderfans.com.  You would feel right at home there.  And as an added  bonus, subscribe to the Rod Pisterson's  blog for your enjoyment. I sense you are not welcomed here. 

On 2018-08-13 at 1:00 PM, do or die said:

My optimism stems..... from stepping back a bit and just looking at the overall picture...... 

The club is run far more professionally,  Miller may not be a cuddly sort, but I see some big differences, in terms of communication, game experience, et al.....and he lets the GM, GM.
We have a GM who really understands the CFL, in terms of drafting and adding Canadian depth whenever possible, has also added legit quarterbacks, and beefed up the scouting department, incrementally.
We have a coach that most players really want to play for....who conducts himself in an evenhanded adult manner, and expects the same from players.   We are attracting the right kind of people, overall.
We have a dedicated all-Canadian management group - guys who eat, drink, and sleep CFL football, and want success in this league more than anything. 

Bottom line: 

For the first time in ions, we have real stability moving forward.  Winnipeg has now become a place, where players want to come.   A strong culture is being constructed here - doing the right things on and off the field - featuring a complete lack of.... or tolerance of...twitter fiends, clubhouse malcontents, me-me attitudes and undisciplined actions on the field. 

When you add the points 3rd and 1 made about coaching and player leadership......a pretty bright picture ahead.

i think this is solid analysis and very positive. It's also very "glass half-full" and I do appreciate optimism. And I so want to believe it will lead to where we all want it to go.

But that is the question, isn't it? Will it lead to a Grey Cup, this year or next? Because, if you will allow me to indulge my fearful, "glass half-empty" side for a moment, all this great "culture" stuff won't really matter a lick if it doesn't lead us to the promised land and the window is not unlimited for guys like Andrew Harris who, while still unbelievable, is now 31.

We have yet to win a playoff game under MOS, and we are in his 5th year. That really has to change this year to sustain the positivity, doesn't it? Last year, after losing, many of the Blue players were all: "Well, even though we lost, this is my best experience ever in football" and "I'll always remember this year" and "we're a brotherhood". Well, okay. Yeah, that stuck in my craw at the time. Because, you know what? I'd sure put up with a few attitudinally-challenged but skilled players on the team if it meant a Grey Cup, sooner rather than later. Culture and brotherhood are important, for sure, but only if it leads to the ultimate prize...cause this is pro sports. In the end, it's about wins and losses.

On that note, MOS is a 500 coach over his career now. Some things I fear will hold him back are the very things cited as strengths, for what are weaknesses except too much of a good thing? Loyalty and being a players' coach are great for the reasons cited by DOD, but loyalty to excess leads one to leave the starting quarterback or DC in place too long. The ability to seize the moment with the element of surprise is good, but too many trick plays at the wrong time and place on the field have proven fatal more than once. Clarity and a strong will is good, but too much of it becomes misplaced certainty, stubbornness and an incapacity to accept and then work with the unavoidably "grey" dimensions of life, which also surface in coaching.

Take Streveler. He has demonstrated that he is special. Does MOS have nuanced ability to appreciate the delicate nature of this situation? He has said: "We know what we've got" in Streveler while also declaring his unquestioning commitment to Nichols. Two things I don't want to see, but fear in this area? Firstly, the "loyalty" and clarity of committing to Nichols getting in the way of us winning the Cup while we are in the window with Harris. Secondly, Streveler - who I believe has Mike Reilly like potential - becoming the next Mike Reilly (i.e. a generational player who got away from the franchise who discovered him because they were trying to ride the current starter too long). In brief, MIke, other people now know what you've got as well.

To end positively, this last week the defense under Richie Hall came up huge in crunch time to preserve a win. That hadn't really happened before. That was an extremely positive sign. So maybe MOS was correct to stick with Hall. Time will tell. As I said, I want to believe. But the next hurdles are sustained performance for the D for the rest of the season and then, at minimum, at least one playoff win. Can MOS lead us past these critical markers and, ultimately, to the promised land? I hope so. The culture is trending in the right way, now if we can only close the deal before the window closes.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

Since Nichols took over the only team that's done more winning than the Bombers are the Stampeders, and they don't have a lot of Cups to show for it either, so forget O'Sheas overall record, that is heavily influenced by taking over a team that wasn't very good. 

This team is built to be a contender long term because they are using their draft picks wisely and have built some pretty good depth at the NI positions. That is what leads to long term success in the CFL. The Grey Cup will come eventually, no need to panic. Forget 1990, fretting over that is what has led to a lot of stupid hiring and firing decisions since that time. 

Streveler is good. Nichols is better. Right now. That's all the coaches can do. Is play for tomorrow. Putting any doubt about Matts spot on the team because of a rookie qb with a losing record would be Chris Jones stupid.

Oshea is committed to the only winning qb the bombers have. Why anyone would question that is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Streveler is good. Nichols is better. Right now. That's all the coaches can do. Is play for tomorrow. Putting any doubt about Matts spot on the team because of a rookie qb with a losing record would be Chris Jones stupid.

Oshea is committed to the only winning qb the bombers have. Why anyone would question that is beyond me.

That could be something in a dictionary...or marketed...be a nice T-shirt for LDC and Banjo Bowl