As a competing fan. You can see greatness coming

3rd & 1

This is the last I will say about the other site on here,  I was told I was banned because some others were agitated.  I asked what I said that agitated them,  they would not say. Anything else you want to know about just pm me. 

I am not a troll. I would say the same things if we were sitting together having a beer.  Mostly for a laugh....all in fun. 

Go Bombers !

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-08-16 at 11:05 AM, deepsixemtoboyd said:

i think this is solid analysis and very positive. It's also very "glass half-full" and I do appreciate optimism. And I so want to believe it will lead to where we all want it to go.

But that is the question, isn't it? Will it lead to a Grey Cup, this year or next? Because, if you will allow me to indulge my fearful, "glass half-empty" side for a moment, all this great "culture" stuff won't really matter a lick if it doesn't lead us to the promised land and the window is not unlimited for guys like Andrew Harris who, while still unbelievable, is now 31.

We have yet to win a playoff game under MOS, and we are in his 5th year. That really has to change this year to sustain the positivity, doesn't it? Last year, after losing, many of the Blue players were all: "Well, even though we lost, this is my best experience ever in football" and "I'll always remember this year" and "we're a brotherhood". Well, okay. Yeah, that stuck in my craw at the time. Because, you know what? I'd sure put up with a few attitudinally-challenged but skilled players on the team if it meant a Grey Cup, sooner rather than later. Culture and brotherhood are important, for sure, but only if it leads to the ultimate prize...cause this is pro sports. In the end, it's about wins and losses.

On that note, MOS is a 500 coach over his career now. Some things I fear will hold him back are the very things cited as strengths, for what are weaknesses except too much of a good thing? Loyalty and being a players' coach are great for the reasons cited by DOD, but loyalty to excess leads one to leave the starting quarterback or DC in place too long. The ability to seize the moment with the element of surprise is good, but too many trick plays at the wrong time and place on the field have proven fatal more than once. Clarity and a strong will is good, but too much of it becomes misplaced certainty, stubbornness and an incapacity to accept and then work with the unavoidably "grey" dimensions of life, which also surface in coaching.

Take Streveler. He has demonstrated that he is special. Does MOS have nuanced ability to appreciate the delicate nature of this situation? He has said: "We know what we've got" in Streveler while also declaring his unquestioning commitment to Nichols. Two things I don't want to see, but fear in this area? Firstly, the "loyalty" and clarity of committing to Nichols getting in the way of us winning the Cup while we are in the window with Harris. Secondly, Streveler - who I believe has Mike Reilly like potential - becoming the next Mike Reilly (i.e. a generational player who got away from the franchise who discovered him because they were trying to ride the current starter too long). In brief, MIke, other people now know what you've got as well.

To end positively, this last week the defense under Richie Hall came up huge in crunch time to preserve a win. That hadn't really happened before. That was an extremely positive sign. So maybe MOS was correct to stick with Hall. Time will tell. As I said, I want to believe. But the next hurdles are sustained performance for the D for the rest of the season and then, at minimum, at least one playoff win. Can MOS lead us past these critical markers and, ultimately, to the promised land? I hope so. The culture is trending in the right way, now if we can only close the deal before the window closes.

What is the ceiling of this team and how is it trending? 

I think any analysis should always start by answering those two questions.

At the very basic, is Matt Nichols capable of winning it all? The way he is playing this year, the answer would have to be no. After that, nothing else really matters. 

Quarterback is the be all and end all in the CFL. 

Edited by pigseye
w

On 2018-08-14 at 11:48 AM, DougR said:

Eh?  (does that qualify?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoser

I think HOSER refers to how the Bombers are performing right now.

However, I think I see a better strategy than trying to get through the Eskimos or Riders then onto the Stamps then the Grey Cup.  If they crossover, I feel they have a great shot at knocking out the Ti-Cats.  Then yes, the Redblacks are a major hurdle but, the last one to the Grey Cup.  Once in that game, anything can happen to the Stamps, right?

By the way, after all of the belly aching and stomping of feet, Trump has solidified a deal with Mexico.  I hear Canada is at the table.  Proving anything can happen. 😉  If the Bombers win it all this year, I will send a personal message to Trump asking that they are invited to the White House instead of the Super Bowl winner.  (HA HA)