A Long Term Team

O2L

I personally think Nichols still has five good years left... but if two years from now Streveler has developed into a great QB and Nichols still wants to start... we would be in an unfortunate situation of having to choose Strev and move on from Nichols...

But like many have mentioned... it's a great problem to have... and we'll cross that bridge when we get there...

4 hours ago, White Out said:

President-George-W.-Bush-Mission-Accompl

Getting beat by the same team that took it to Edmonton last week and went toe to toe without Calgary the week before doesn’t change us having a solid team. I acknowledged earlier that our weakness is likely Richie Hall and that was on display tonight. If we lose this way to BC, Sask, TO, or Montreal, then maybe there are bigger problems, but tonight the issues were our defensive play calling, penalties, and game mismanagement (not taking the ball to start the third quarter, declining penalties that would push them out of field goal range). I think we’re smack dab in the middle of the league right now at #5 with a rookie QB, and can easily move up or down a spot depending how things shake out. 

Hamilton is one of the top two teams in the league and Masoli put up the same passing yards against Calgary and Edmonton (and in the last five games of 2017), so yes, our defence wasn’t good enough tonight, but it’s not like we gave up those yards to Drew Willy or Brandon Bridge. It’s a long season and we’ve lost to two of the top three teams so far, and easily could’ve won one of those games. Let’s see where this thing goes. 

I think it's early to proclaim Hamilton as the 2nd best team in the league. It's also early to proclaim our season is over, I'll grant that. I don't think it's too early to safely say this though: Our O is going to have to outscore our putrid D yet again. That's asking a lot considering injuries and the quality of the rest of the league has gone up sans Montreal.

I'm mostly just disappointed that an obvious problem was ignored by management again and the results are predictable.

5 hours ago, White Out said:

I think it's early to proclaim Hamilton as the 2nd best team in the league. It's also early to proclaim our season is over, I'll grant that. I don't think it's too early to safely say this though: Our O is going to have to outscore our putrid D yet again. That's asking a lot considering injuries and the quality of the rest of the league has gone up sans Montreal.

I'm mostly just disappointed that an obvious problem was ignored by management again and the results are predictable.

Yeah I definitely agree that something should have been done about Hall already. Hopefully those here that believe his replacement was already brought in and is waiting in the wings are correct. 

If Hamilton can go from being 0 - 9 last season to being the best team in the East just by making a few changes....well, that just shows how quick you can turn a team around. 

I think our offense will be fine with Lapo, Streveler and Nicholls but our defense needs a few changes. But the question(s) remain: what changes need to made, and will we have the guts to make them?

One of the biggest canard's I've ever read on this forum is it takes years and years to build a CFL team the right way. That's just not true. There's nothing wrong with showing patience, but it shouldn't take four to five years to get a high-quality team in a league of 9 and high turnover. Hamilton is demonstrating that, for god sakes Ottawa has a Grey Cup.

1 minute ago, White Out said:

One of the biggest canard's I've ever read on this forum is it takes years and years to build a CFL team the right way. That's just not true. There's nothing wrong with showing patience, but it shouldn't take four to five years to get a high-quality team in a league of 9 and high turnover. Hamilton is demonstrating that, for god sakes Ottawa has a Grey Cup.

Its been 3 games

6 minutes ago, White Out said:

Fairly sure the bombers have won more games than everyone except cgy over the past 3 years. They are a high quality team. Fans are expecting the next step. Which they should.

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup but every bad loss we incur reminds us it's been twenty plus years without a cup. We usually cool down though by Thursday and get optimistic again. :)

True and maybe it's part of the problem. Optimism only gets you so far. Eventually you have to win playoff games and the Grey Cup.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

True and maybe it's part of the problem. Optimism only gets you so far. Eventually you have to win playoff games and the Grey Cup.

Yup but you never stop supporting the team, that's how it works. Frustrating yes, maddening yes but that's directed at individuals not the Emblem.

Once you (not you) stop supporting the team, you've turned in your Bomber card and you're (not you) not allowed to get it back when things get better.

I still regret losing Travis Bond, inserting him into the lineup over Neufeld was a huge part of our turnaround. 

It seems odd that a few years later we would make the switch back. I would also like to see Flanders get back into the lineup, as the two back set with Strevelers running ability could be dangerous.

6 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I still regret losing Travis Bond, inserting him into the lineup over Neufeld was a huge part of our turnaround. 

It seems odd that a few years later we would make the switch back. I would also like to see Flanders get back into the lineup, as the two back set with Strevelers running ability could be dangerous.

I'm disappointed they are not using either Demski or LaFrance more as a distraction like they used Flanders, not enough activity in the backfield leaving Harris to fend for himself.  When the other teams can key on Harris exclusively it's not hard for them to limit his carries to a 4 yd. average as he's not that elusive.

On 2018-07-01 at 10:53 AM, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup but you never stop supporting the team, that's how it works. Frustrating yes, maddening yes but that's directed at individuals not the Emblem.

Once you (not you) stop supporting the team, you've turned in your Bomber card and you're (not you) not allowed to get it back when things get better.

I don't buy that philosophy (obviously).

In fact, I think it is part of the problem in Winnipeg.

Unlike CFL markets like, Toronto, Ottawa, BC, and Hamilton, leaders of the Bomber administration like Miller knows that he really doesn't have to spend the farm to win because the fans will turn out and support a loser year after embarrassing year. That has a trickle down effect, and from the behavior of Walters in free agency through to Oshea with tolerating Hall and sub-par player performances, there is just no sense of urgency with this team. They behave exactly like the fans are telling them - that it is OK to lose (or tread water) year after year, after year.

Toronto Maple Leafs are the version of the Bombers that exists in the NHL. Their fans just don't care if the team wins, so the team doesn't need to ever be competitive in that market to do well.

27 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Unlike CFL markets like, Toronto, Ottawa, BC, and Hamilton, leaders of the Bomber administration like Miller knows that he really doesn't have to spend the farm to win because the fans will turn out and support a loser year after embarrassing year. That has a trickle down effect, and from the behavior of Walters in free agency through to Oshea with tolerating Hall and sub-par player performances, there is just no sense of urgency with this team. They behave exactly like the fans are telling them - that it is OK to lose (or tread water) year after year, after year.

Toronto Maple Leafs are the version of the Bombers that exists in the NHL. Their fans just don't care if the team wins, so the team doesn't need to ever be competitive in that market to do well.

Weird example when the Maple Leafs argueably made the biggest Free Agent signing in NHL history to acquire John Tavares..

33 minutes ago, TheSource said:

What a weird response from you suggesting we are sheep and don't care whether we win or not .

Why do you even come on here?