A Long Term Team

O2L

The average age of our starting/contributing to O/D Nis gives me the most hope. Closely followed by the strevelation and nichols. This feels much less like what we have been used to from a WBB team in the past 20 + years and more like what buono and the don ran out in that time. Great young players backing up and eventually replacing vets, tight positional fights each year etc. 

Brian Bennett: I don't dis him for running to the Riders and Chris Jones .... I am sure he got some sweet talk .... like a man MOS wished him well instead of giving him a "good riddance" ... Jones never gave Bennett a chance .... Bennett never gave up ... and then MOS had a problem and called Bennett ... I think cause of all this Bennett will be a starter for one Canadian franchise or another within a couple or three years

Starting from the top down this team is being run the right way right now, no cutting corners. I think a lot of people give the credit to Walters and Oshea but I think a lot has to go to Wade Miller. 

I think he lets the guys do their jobs, does not place unnecessary expectations or pressure on them to do something drastic, the feel around the team just seems to be happy and no issues as there used to be seeming every week. 

I remember listening to some interviews this off season from Harris, being a guy from Winnipeg and somebody who is well respected in the CFL he was saying he pitched Winnipeg to a lot of free agents and mentioned how well the organization treated the players. Things such as first class facilities, great coaches, management, and things as little as serving catered meals after practices (which I've heard most teams don't do). Things like that go a long way I think and especially coming from a guy who lives here year round.

You could say things are Jets-esque right now in Bomber land.

Edited by Gotmilt

The best thing this team does is that no one plays any games. Guys generally know where they stand within the organization and there are no wild mood swings that result in out of nowhere firings. The stability is something this team has sorely been lacking for such a long long time. 

On 2018-06-25 at 12:21 AM, BigBlue said:

Brian Bennett: I don't dis him for running to the Riders and Chris Jones .... I am sure he got some sweet talk .... like a man MOS wished him well instead of giving him a "good riddance" ... Jones never gave Bennett a chance .... Bennett never gave up ... and then MOS had a problem and called Bennett ... I think cause of all this Bennett will be a starter for one Canadian franchise or another within a couple or three years

In order to become a starter Bennett has to get to #2 first and that opportunity seems to have evaporated with the arrival of Streveler.  His only hope is to hang around like Vernon Adams did until the right opportunity presents itself somewhere down the road, and that takes quite a lot of perseverance to see it through.  He's probably on a 1 year deal so I'd expect he will choose to move on to another club as a F.A. after this season.  There seems to be an abundance of openings across the league for good #2 prospects, I really like his play so I hope it works out.

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The best thing this team does is that no one plays any games. Guys generally know where they stand within the organization and there are no wild mood swings that result in out of nowhere firings. The stability is something this team has sorely been lacking for such a long long time. 

148335811-e1493397414793.jpg?quality=70&

Ya lost me...

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

In order to become a starter Bennett has to get to #2 first and that opportunity seems to have evaporated with the arrival of Streveler.  His only hope is to hang around like Vernon Adams did until the right opportunity presents itself somewhere down the road, and that takes quite a lot of perseverance to see it through.  He's probably on a 1 year deal so I'd expect he will choose to move on to another club as a F.A. after this season.  There seems to be an abundance of openings across the league for good #2 prospects, I really like his play so I hope it works out.

I'm almost certain Montreal will come knocking on his door and he's better than any QB currently on that roster.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I watch every press interview that the players and coaches do, and it’s incredible how no one on this team wants to accept praise, they all just want to give it. Darvin, Bowman, Harris, Strev, all these guys are just exemplifying the culture that O’Shea has instilled on this team. 

In the Calgary TO game last week, they showed Mitchell on the sideline and he arrogantly stated “my completion percentage was down last week but I threw just as many yards” in response to the media criticism about him from week one. Duron Carter screamed into the camera that he’s the best player in the league. Guys get mad about the TSN top 50. 

Meanwhile, Strev as a 23 year old rookie shows more maturity, not willing to take any sort of credit even about the player of the week accolade. LaPo brushes it off with “who votes on that? Media guys? Good players get it every week.” When asked about the Bombers having the most players in the TSN Top 50 O’Shea says “we don’t pay attention to that stuff.” This is the kind of selfless team I want in Winnipeg, the kind of team I want to support.  

2 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Starting from the top down this team is being run the right way right now, no cutting corners. I think a lot of people give the credit to Walters and Oshea but I think a lot has to go to Wade Miller. 

I think he lets the guys do their jobs, does not place unnecessary expectations or pressure on them to do something drastic, the feel around the team just seems to be happy and no issues as there used to be seeming every week. 

I remember listening to some interviews this off season from Harris, being a guy from Winnipeg and somebody who is well respected in the CFL he was saying he pitched Winnipeg to a lot of free agents and mentioned how well the organization treated the players. Things such as first class facilities, great coaches, management, and things as little as serving catered meals after practices (which I've heard most teams don't do). Things like that go a long way I think and especially coming from a guy who lives here year round.

These nine simple words work magic for an organization when it happens.

Another thing I love about this team... they are developing some real nastiness... while avoiding the flags... Our D-line is looking to crush everyone in sight... and you better believe opposing defensive players will think twice before taking a shot at Harris or a QB with Goossen, Hardrick and Chungh on the field...

13 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

These nine simple words work magic for an organization when it happens.

I think of Wade as the facilitator for the Bombers success by ensuring everyone on the staff and roster have what they need to be successful without stepping on toes.

Edited by Gotmilt

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Also appears to be an definite lack of show boaters, me-firsters, Twitter idiots, sulkers, and clubhouse lawyers........

Reminder:  The team is 1 and 1.  If they read this forum, the rest of the league would just fold and award the Grey Cup to the Bombers today. 

Things look good after blowing out the worst team in the league.  But the Eskimos beat us and then lost to a team everyone thought they would blow out.  Crazy things happen every week of the season.  

I am not ready to buy into anything until I see more evidence.   

3 minutes ago, MC said:

Reminder:  The team is 1 and 1.  If they read this forum, the rest of the league would just fold and award the Grey Cup to the Bombers today. 

Things look good after blowing out the worst team in the league.  But the Eskimos beat us and then lost to a team everyone thought they would blow out.  Crazy things happen every week of the season.  

I don't think the Eskimos were expected to blowout Hamilton.  

Also we nearly beat them with a guy starting his first pro game with only minimum amount of time with the club....

7 minutes ago, MC said:

What are you on about? The thread title is long term team, our record right now is irrelevant to the teams long term success. 

Don't think we need a father figure to tell us that. 

Thanks though.

Edited by Gotmilt

3 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Certainly after seeing that clown Lyle Bauer show how stupid he was here, Miller's way of doing things has been the breath of fresh air needed. Plus I know we were all frustrated in the first two years here because the rebuild didn't happen overnight.  But once we did have that winning season in 2016, I believe we then laid the groundwork for more to come with expectations now being that we as fans raise them to the point that Grey Cups must start coming.

Now the only thing maybe I'd call for from up on high if I was Wade Miller is the removal of Richie Hall.  I think our defensive personnel are getting better, but he never makes changes to his playbook and QBs like BLM and Reilly always predict what he's calling.  I'm for getting a young blood in at DC who will call exotic looks and throw new tight man and variable pressure packages in at Edmonton and Calgary that will throw em off balance, or play 2 deep safeties that take away deep balls.

14 minutes ago, MC said:

Not ready to buy into a team that has been in the upper echelon the last few seasons? That went toe to toe with the pre-season favourites when starting a raw rookie in his first game at qb in a mess of a delay situation and then curb stomped their next opponent? 

Come on, this team is clearly in the upper teir of CFL teams based on their recent body of work. Doesn't mean they win every game but it does mean that they have a chance to win every game. This is a good team full of good people who are ridiculously easy to cheer for. Lots of teams you have to over look shitty characters but not on this team. It's a team that puts in an honest effort and really exemplifies the ideals of team work. I haven't heard one guy complain about their stats, everyone just wants to win and that will carry a team a long way. The team is all that matters and right now it appears that this team is as tight as any in the league. 

19 minutes ago, MC said:

Some of us are just feeling good about the direction this team seems to be heading. We're allowed. It's been a while. No, we're not mapping out the Grey Cup Parade route yet but our mindset is changing from 'next year is our year' to 'this year is our year'. 

40 minutes ago, MC said:

Reminder:  The team is 1 and 1.  If they read this forum, the rest of the league would just fold and award the Grey Cup to the Bombers today

As they should.... as they should.

Won't matter though- they'll play the games and win the Grey Cup this year. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy