A Long Term Team

O2L

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Not ready to buy into a team that has been in the upper echelon the last few seasons? That went toe to toe with the pre-season favourites when starting a raw rookie in his first game at qb in a mess of a delay situation and then curb stomped their next opponent? 

Come on, this team is clearly in the upper teir of CFL teams based on their recent body of work. Doesn't mean they win every game but it does mean that they have a chance to win every game. This is a good team full of good people who are ridiculously easy to cheer for. Lots of teams you have to over look shitty characters but not on this team. It's a team that puts in an honest effort and really exemplifies the ideals of team work. I haven't heard one guy complain about their stats, everyone just wants to win and that will carry a team a long way. The team is all that matters and right now it appears that this team is as tight as any in the league. 

That’s basically the point of why I started this thread. We have a team that we know will be competitive week to week. Far too many times since Khari left us (and in the 90s) have we been on the receiving end of the kind of beating we gave Montreal last week. Of course I want to win a cup, many cups, but I’d rather have the team that gets there consistently and chokes than the team that doesn’t even make the playoffs. Hell, I’d rather be Calgary than Toronto right now, regardless of which of them won the cup last year. 

No parade planning here, just genuine optimism, no caution needed. 

I believe both have two years on their contract including this year (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). At that point, assuming he’s still showing the promise we’ve seen thus far, you gotta roll with Streveler for his age alone. He’s young enough that he could be our QB for 15 years. Then again knowing this team, maybe Nichols takes a pay cut in a couple years and wants to take on a mentor role. Crazier things have happened and these guys all seem to play for eachother. 

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How long can we realistically expect to keep Lapo?

I think the bombers are not yet at the stage of success where we have to invent problems to keep ourselves amused. There is a long drought that needs to be watered first. 

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

Lapo isnt going anywhere. Highest paid coordinator in the league and has the job for as long as he wants it. It doesn't get much better than that in the CFL

Well, you never know when a guy may want to try head coaching again.  While he certainly is in no rush to do it I don't believe, and while he certainly will not take a HC job in a **** situation like MTL, it shouldn't be assumed that he's decided never to HC again.  I doubt it will be in BC next year, but don't put it beyond him to give it one more spin if the right situation presents itself.

And I don't see that as a bad thing.  Him getting HC job offer calls really speaks volumes of how good an OC he is.

7 hours ago, O2L said:

I believe both have two years on their contract including this year (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). At that point, assuming he’s still showing the promise we’ve seen thus far, you gotta roll with Streveler for his age alone. He’s young enough that he could be our QB for 15 years. Then again knowing this team, maybe Nichols takes a pay cut in a couple years and wants to take on a mentor role. Crazier things have happened and these guys all seem to play for eachother. 

Well, while Nichols is in his early 30s, he's certainly not in Ricky Ray retirement territory by any means.  My one concern is that he has injured his knee planting it now twice: once last year in that BC game and then again this year.  Certainly hope he doesn't have a chronic knee problem.