Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

that's spoken with the benefit of hindsight. There was no reason he shouldn't have kept playing, it's just a damned shame that this happened to him. It's a cruel sport sometimes.

Anyway if that is indeed a career for Ray he was one of the good ones. Class act and a damned good player, ice water in his veins and probably single handedly prevented Milt and Khari and that group from getting a cup. 

Not necessarily.  His previous four seasons or so were riddled with injuries and after he won the cup, it seemed like the right occasion to walk out gloriously.

Make no mistake, he definitely earned the right to keep playing as long as he felt he could do it.  And his legacy is firmly cemented as one of the league's top QBs and fan favorite MOPs.  But he had definitely made it known in a press conference earlier this year that he was heavily considering retiring and it's definitely possible he's looking back now thinking it probably would have been better long-term had he done so.

But hoping he recovers and hopefully in his future invests his time in youth football leagues.  Those young people can learn a lot from him.

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

This would not make the Riders better. That's the point. Let them have Durant. It would help the Bombers.

We don't know for sure.  He may well be better then Bridge who tends to run around and get sacked.  

But it would give them a CFL vet as a fall back.

Either way..

200w.webp

Riders sign Japanese League star QB Devin Gardner

I was curious what the defence for this was going to be over at Riderfans, so against my better judgment I went and looked and of course, Rotor is shouting down all the folks who dare question this move. 

"Guy wants to play football bad enough that he's willing to go to Japan and this is a bad move?"

... **** me guys, I didn't know all it takes these days to be a good recruit for the CFL is to just have the desire to play football. Better watch how enthusiastic I am around here about wanting to play touch football, I might end up on the Riders negotiation list. 

Calgary and Ottawa have played 8 times since the REDBLACKS joined the CFL. The Stamps are unbeaten in the last 5 meetings but two of those have resulted in ties. Trevor Harris is 0-2-2 vs Calgary for Ottawa.

-Calgary 'D': The Calgary defence has allowed only 2 Touchdowns in 26 possessions thus far (8%) vs their on TD rate of 25% (6/24).

-Trevor Harris Depth: Harris threw 36 passes in Week #2 including a remarkable 4-for-4 deeper than 20 yards. Those 4 deep throws gained a total of 143 of his 345 passing yards (Ellingson 2 for 45 yds, Spencer 1 for 56, Thomas 1 for 42 yds).

At Calgary 40-6 at home: The Stampeders are 40-6 at home over the last six seasons (2013-2018). Those 40 home wins are 13 more than any other team: CGY 40, EDM 27, BC 25.

- 2-Point Convert Record: With 3 two-point converts last week, Ottawa tied the CFL single-game record (SSK 2014, EDM 2017).

- 4 in a row: Back to 2017, the REDBLACKS have won 4 in a row, the second-longest win streak of their existence (6 straight 2015-16)

CFL NOTES

-13 Consecutive Losses: The Alouettes carry a club record 13 straight defeats into this week's game vs Saskatchewan. A loss to the Riders would tie Shreveport (1994) for the third longest losing streak in CFL history. The 1994 Pirates' 14 losses in a row is the longest losing streak in the modern era and longest in the last 70 years (Hamilton Wildcats 16 in a row in 1948).

-Ottawa did not allow Saskatchewan into the Red Zone even once last week and inside the Ottawa 25 only once.

-Trevor Harris Starts: Back to Aug 2017, Ottawa is 7-1 in Harris' last 8 starts but ... are just 1-2 in the games he has missed.

-BLM: Mitchell has taken his all-time CFL-best win% as a starter to 58-10-2 .843 with a 2-0 start. Doug Flutie is #2 at .746.

- Leading After Q1: If Calgary gets up after 15:00 they usually win. They are 1-0 in 2018, and 65-12 since 2011 when up after Q1.

-Thus far, three CFL QBs have shone when looked at via the CFL's Quarterback rating (QUAR). Trevor Harris recorded a 98.7 rating out of 100 last week, while Chris Streveler (94.9) and Bo Levi Mitchell (92.2) have also exceeded the 90.0 mark. Their performance ratings combine high individual stats with top solid team numbers - for example Mitchell has led the Stamps to 31.5 offensive points per game, 484.0 net yards and a 2nd down conversion rate of 59.5%.

Streveler's Winnipeg numbers are boosted by his #4 CFL ranking of 128 rushing yards, 6 TD passes and 109.5 pass efficiency rating. At the team level, Streveler has led the Bombers to a league-best 39.0 offensive ppg, and 444.0 net yards.

-Through two weeks, Roughness penalties have dropped by just under 39% compared to 2017.

-the Bombers have 1 receiver in the top ten for deep threats -Darvin Adams at # 7

Hamilton has 3. Edmonton 2 Calgary, Sask, Ott, and Toronto each have 1

-The total after 8 games is just 7 Challenges and only Montreal has had a successful one. That ask was a review of a potential fumble, the other 6 have involved Pass Interference challenges with no overturns of initial calls.

-In 2016, there were 107 long-gainer "big play" kick returns or 1.32 per game. In 2017 that dropped to just 87 (1.07) or down 19%. In 2018, there have been just 7 in 8 games - 0.88 per game.

-In 2017, teams averaged just 35.6 combined running plays per game. In 2018, that has jumped to 40.6 rush attempts per game - equivalent to a number not seen since 2003. In part, this is due to several long gainers and an average rush of 5.6 yards - well up from the 5.1 per carry average across the 2015-2017 seasons. In 2018, rushing attempts have accounted 37% of all play calls compared to 31% in 2017.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I was curious what the defence for this was going to be over at Riderfans, so against my better judgment I went and looked and of course, Rotor is shouting down all the folks who dare question this move. 

"Guy wants to play football bad enough that he's willing to go to Japan and this is a bad move?"

... **** me guys, I didn't know all it takes these days to be a good recruit for the CFL is to just have the desire to play football. Better watch how enthusiastic I am around here about wanting to play touch football, I might end up on the Riders negotiation list. 

Jones has stated in Japanese... Mi wie dun? Or is that Cantonese?

Edited by bb1

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Interesting Andrew Harris and Jeff Hamilton have a podcast and Harris commented that he was not a big fan of them bringing in Muamba. Felt like he would not be a good fit in locker room. Implied he did not have good leadership qualities.

I don't know about leadership quality, but Muamba is clearly a me-first/team-second guy. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

Its almost as if a handful of posters have a vested interest in defending Jones no matter what. But , chuckle, it's all just a coincidence. 

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

A QB from the Japanese league is a solid recruit? Is the Database broken? Taman's napkins had better names on them.

How dare you question the great and mighty wizard of oddness! He sees all, knows all!

7 hours ago, Tracker said:

That's probably a career-ending injury for a good quarterback and a good man.

Ricky's extremely lucky to be able to still walk & not be paralyzed from the neck down. I'm sure if Henry Burris had any thoughts of coming back that this probably changed his mind. I hope he stays in the game as a qb coach once he is healthy enough to come back.

6 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Re-watched the game. Muamba submarined Lafrance near the end of the game with a hit that looked worse than the knee-hit laid on Harris.

Watch him to flip to the field after the cheap shot on Strev when Chungh basically just mildly pushed him out of the way..you would have thought he got hammered the way he went down.. trying to get a penalty against bombers..what a dork

16 hours ago, Mike said:

He's also admonishing them for their racist jokes about Japanese names. This of course, coming from the guy who called Hefney & Johnson gangbangers & monkeys.