Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

4 hours ago, Booch said:

read this article..I will give you 3 guesses as to who is bringing this fella in for a look...and first 2 don't count

On another note...this team has glaring needs...does this signing address any of them??

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/denard-robinson-jaguars-crash-dui-drunk-lake-asleep/1iyoxq59diyhq194d7f4qpjylb

The Riders ought to just chance their names to "F-Troop" and get it over with.

Edited by Tracker

4 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Jeff Matthews taking 1st team reps at Alouettes practice. Me thinks that's the last we see of Drew Willy.

Yeah Willy is way beyond done and moving to the next in line should have been done already.

Jeff Matthews is pretty bad though and while I expect he'll start this next game, he won't be doing that for long.  I suspect they may be just getting Adams a little more time to get the playbook learned or what not.  At some point you gotta figure he'll be seeing the field.

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

Yeah Willy is way beyond done and moving to the next in line should have been done already.

Jeff Matthews is pretty bad though and while I expect he'll start this next game, he won't be doing that for long.  I suspect they may be just getting Adams a little more time to get the playbook learned or what not.  At some point you gotta figure he'll be seeing the field.

If they think Mathews is an upgrade over Willy then they definitely have not watched his CFL film...Austin gave him so many chances a couple of years ago and he always produced zilch. This guy has more lives than a cat...but this will be his last stop.

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

That deep ball to chris williams on a rope with duron carter in the rear view mirror was a thing of beauty. But i think the whole world knew that behind the als OL it was never gonna work. 

14 minutes ago, bb1 said:

If they think Mathews is an upgrade over Willy then they definitely have not watched his CFL film...Austin gave him so many chances a couple of years ago and he always produced zilch. This guy has more lives than a cat...but this will be his last stop.

I dont think they believe mathews is better, willy is hurt and not practicing from the sounds of it. 

Matthews isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be.    He at least isn't afraid to throw the ball like Willy.    He's not the long term answer but until Adams is ready he gives them a much better chance at winning.  (So instead of 1% chance it bumps them upto 5%) :)

20 hours ago, do or die said:

Character/legal issues?.........check
No meaningful playing time in quite a while?.....check

Just waiting for the ole position switch, before committing my guess to Jones....
😉

He is a former quarterback, so.....

Gaitor was still way better than Sayles. Sayles didn't even get to finish last game. Cooper came in to end the misery. With Sayles in last week it was the first time I saw flashes of last season with guys absolutely wide open with Sayles 10yrds behind him. It was not a good first game other than the pick. 

19 hours ago, Zontar said:

Yeah, he is. Willy is "better".

2014 Willy probably, but this is not 2014 anymore.  Sorry but any QB who is that trigger shy and takes as many sacks as he does is just not fit to be a starter anymore.  He's at 2013 Buck Pierce territory now and his CFL days are limited.

As I've said repeatedly, Matthews is not going to be their guy either, but at least he's not a deer in the headlights guy.  I liken him to Joey Elliott.  Not consistent but certainly will take risks.

16 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Interesting peoples’ assument of Mathews based on what? A somewhat limited sample size of playtime on struggling teams. Reminds me of the dump on Calvillo when he came into the league.

Started for Hamilton when they were a Grey Cup contender with a head coach who recruited him to college.  Stunk, lost the job to Masoli when Collaros was out.  Has shown no redeeming qualities before or since.

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Interesting peoples’ assument of Mathews based on what? A somewhat limited sample size of playtime on struggling teams. Reminds me of the dump on Calvillo when he came into the league.

Matthews was given some pretty good looks, including by (Need I Remind You) Marc Trestman.  I certainly trust his judgement much more than yours on QBs, and that he elected not to keep Matthews is pretty telling.

12 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Matthews was given some pretty good looks, including by (Need I Remind You) Marc Trestman.  I certainly trust his judgement much more than yours on QBs, and that he elected not to keep Matthews is pretty telling.

Yep as stated Austin recruited and gave him every opportunity to be a CFL QB showed a hell of alot more patience with him than most......add in Trestman who seems to have a little experience with Qbs...and  cut him,there you have it.But hey what do they know?

13 hours ago, Zontar said:

Personally baffled Mathews is still on anyone's depth chart nevermind yet another opportunity to start.

Well, Montreal's in a pretty desperate situation QB wise right now that even if they have to pick up the league's Jason Boltus's to fill the bag, that's what they'll do.  Like I said, it's complete 2013 Bomber territory for them right now.

Edited by USABomberfan