Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/02/01/ambrosie-cfl-issues-statement-regarding-player-contracts/

TORONTO — Canadian Football League Commissioner Randy Ambrosie released a statement on Thursday regarding player contracts.

The statement reads:

“There has been a lot of commentary lately about the status of CFL players who wish to pursue potential NFL opportunities halfway through their first standard CFL contract (which spans a first year and a second year, which kicks in at the option of the team). I want to spell out where the CFL stands:

– Our rules and procedures are clear. Players are required to honour their contracts as they are registered with the league. In two recent cases that have garnered media attention, the Toronto Argonauts have honoured these rules and procedures as they should.

– Teams are not allowed to make side deals with players entering the league, either in unregistered written contracts or in verbal agreements, which promise a player he will be released upon request after one year or which bind him to subsequently return to the same CFL club should he not secure employment in the NFL. Recently, one of our teams announced they had released a player halfway through his first CFL contract so he can pursue NFL opportunities. The CFL has discerned this action was a product of such a side agreement and the team faces a heavy fine for not following our rules and procedures.

– Some people refer to an NFL window which would allow a player to leave after the first year of his first CFL contract. Such a window does not exist. It has not been in place or in practice since 2012, when it was phased out.

– We have the utmost respect for our players, their careers and their ambitions. Like any league, we also expect them to respect their contractual obligations as our teams will respect theirs.

– We remain open to change. I am currently on a listening tour of CFL cities, meeting with football operations for each team as well as fans in every market, looking for ideas that will make for the best game and our strongest league.

– It is too late in the calendar year to fairly amend this rule but if a better approach to this issue – or any issue, for that matter – is available, we will move forward with it. There are differing views on this issue within our league and I look forward to hearing all sides of the debate as well as from people with innovative new ideas.

As always, I thank our players for their tremendous efforts on and off the field, our fans for making all we do possible and the media for their continuing interest and storytelling.”

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

wow....so BC actually gonna get fined for letting a guy out to try the NFL. Thassss crazy talk........

I fully support the players on this issue, trust me, but what Ambrosie is doing here i believe completely protects his teams and is in the best interest for the league and leave the door open to discussion and change in the near future hopefully.

Edited by Gotmilt

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

There's a slim LaFrance he signs here.

he can replace Le Fevour.

B.C linebacker Micah Awe.... can take a highlight film of his head shot  on Messam, and I think he has one or two other head shots from last season and show it to teams down there.

based on what I've seen of the NFL this season, that should be enough get him a job there. 

That's Dinwiddie type money. 

"Bring back Dinwiddie" said someone once.

Edited by Mark F

51 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

I fully support the players on this issue, trust me, but what Ambrosie is doing here i believe completely protects his teams and is in the best interest for the league and leave the door open to discussion and change in the near future hopefully.

Bad optics on a day that players are being released just because roster bonuses are due...

Going to be nothing but one year contracts now

30 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Bad optics on a day that players are being released just because roster bonuses are due...

Going to be nothing but one year contracts now

I've heard Walters talk about the roster bonuses and are actually for the most part requested by player agents, they are generally not expecting the team to pay them out at the end but are similar to an option window for players and teams.

Darian Durant would technically still be under contract this year without the bonus and be stuck on a depth chart behind a number of QBs in a system he obviously does not feel comfortable in. In addition the Als most likely would have approached him to restructure his contract. 

If things would have worked out in MTL I have very little doubt Darian would be a richer man right now and MTL would not be in the position they're in.

Edited by Gotmilt

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/02/cfl-commissioner-says-players-work-off-season/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DrewEdwards3downnation+(3+Down+Nation-Drew+Edwards+√)

'Players should work in the off-season...  all it takes is one injury...'

Ambrosie starting to dig a hole.

Why can't we have nice things.

This should improve his standing on the team.  

Duron Carter is facing a marijuana possession charge.

Court records show Carter was arrested Feb. 1 in Saskatoon.

He has since been released from custody and is scheduled to make his first appearance March 27 in Saskatoon Provincial Court.

Carter, 26, was named the Riders’ most outstanding player for the 2016-17 CFL season, amassing 73 catches for 1,043 yards and eight touchdowns in 17 starts at wide receiver.

He also started one game as a defensive back, in which he picked up nine tackles and an interception which he ran back 43 yards for a touchdown.

By the end of the season he was named both a CFL all-star and a West Division all-star.

Carter signed a one-year extension with the Riders on Jan. 22.