Quarterback Plague

BigBlue

The cause of the current Quarterback Plague:

In the first half of the season, the starting quarterbacks around the league seem to be sailing through the schedule without injury. Now in the last 2 weeks there has been a rash of injuries to the starters and the injury bug is even showing up with a couple of the backups.  Is this just luck and coincidence, perhaps the inevitable? Or is there a deeper cause for the problem?

The game just is not as competitive or enjoyable when teams are using the 2nd and 3rd stringers at quarterback. Now I understand it is rare for any quarterback to go injury free all season as Henry Burris did not long ago/ 18 regular-season games, 2 exhibition games, and potentially 3 playoff games is a lot of games to stay upright without so much as the smallest nick.

The referees to me seem more lax than earlier in the season, allowing certain head shots and also fairly late hits after the pass  is thrown. Not a lot different, just a little more relaxed than earlier. I am not sure if that is part of the problem... Or even whether my perception is correct.

What can the league do to better protect starting quarterbacks? Can the teams (or the quarterbacks themselves) do more or do better in keeping their quarterbacks healthy? Would rule changes help, and if so, what would they be?

Edited by BigBlue

I blame these ridiculous no contact practices. The league should reverse their decision and mandate new league-wide rules for QB conditioning at every practice. To begin with, QB's should be made to run the gauntlet while their teammates swat them aluminum bats. Afterwards, all players over 300lbs should take a turn performing the peoples elbow on the QB's throwing shoulder. Do this a couple times a week and you'll virtually eliminate in game QB injuries as those tough bastards will be ready for anything. That's how conditioning works right?

4 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I blame these ridiculous no contact practices. The league should reverse their decision and mandate new league-wide rules for QB conditioning at every practice. To begin with, QB's should be made to run the gauntlet while their teammates swat them aluminum bats. Afterwards, all players over 300lbs should take a turn performing the peoples elbow on the QB's throwing shoulder. Do this a couple times a week and you'll virtually eliminate in game QB injuries as those tough bastards will be ready for anything. That's how conditioning works right?

We're only one week into this change. Imagine what it's going to be like after 6 weeks? Poor, poor, QBs.

Protect the QBs by punishing the players who break the rules and hurt them. Reilly has taken two dangerous head shots without any repercussions.

32 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

The cause of the current Quarterback Plague:

In the first half of the season, the starting quarterbacks around the league seem to be sailing through the schedule without injury. Now in the last 2 weeks there has been a rash of injuries to the starters and the injury bug is even showing up with a couple of the backups.  Is this just luck and coincidence, perhaps the inevitable? Or is there a deeper cause for the problem?

The game just is not as competitive or enjoyable when teams are using the 2nd and 3rd stringers at quarterback. Now I understand it is rare for any quarterback to go injury free all season as Henry Burris did not long ago/ 18 regular-season games, 2 exhibition games, and potentially 3 playoff games is a lot of games to stay upright without so much as the smallest nick.

The referees to me seem more lax than earlier in the season, allowing certain head shots and also fairly late hits after the pass  is thrown. Not a lot different, just a little more relaxed than earlier. I am not sure if that is part of the problem... Or even whether my perception is correct.

What can the league do to better protect starting quarterbacks? Can the teams (or the quarterbacks themselves) do more or do better in keeping their quarterbacks healthy? Would rule changes help, and if so, what would they be?

I'm trying to figure out who exactly is losing starting QBs right and left besides the Redblacks.  I mean, Glenn was out this last game but not with anything real serious that the league must do to protect, just simply a throwing hand injury and he'll be back this next game.  Game was still a 27-19 score, plenty competitive to me.  The TigerCats didn't lose their QB to injury, he's just been in the tank this year, but so has his O-line.  Instead of needing the league to protect him, maybe Hamilton should get a GM whose going to invest in O-line upgrades to do so.  Bottom line though they just simply wanted to stick Masoli in cuz they lost faith in Collaros, not cuz ole Zac was hurt.

Montreal doesn't have any QB injuries, they just have awful QBs.  Instead of needing the league to protect them, maybe the Als should get smart and fire Kavis Reed and bring someone in who can actually scout good QBs and not run prospects like Vernon Adams off of his team.  Not the refs or the league's fault they put the bank on broken down Durant and Drew Willy.

Edmonton has also had their injuries, but Mike Reilly is not among them so ... don't know what they need to do there, and the Stamps don't have any injuries.  I suppose you could say Lulay in BC is one of those injured, but he came into this season as the backup anyway and got injured cuz he resorted back to his reckless ways.  I think Buono took a gamble on Jennings and it backfired.

29 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I'm trying to figure out who exactly is losing starting QBs right and left besides the Redblacks.  I mean, Glenn was out this last game but not with anything real serious that the league must do to protect, just simply a throwing hand injury and he'll be back this next game.  Game was still a 27-19 score, plenty competitive to me.  The TigerCats didn't lose their QB to injury, he's just been in the tank this year, but so has his O-line.  Instead of needing the league to protect him, maybe Hamilton should get a GM whose going to invest in O-line upgrades to do so.  Bottom line though they just simply wanted to stick Masoli in cuz they lost faith in Collaros, not cuz ole Zac was hurt.

Montreal doesn't have any QB injuries, they just have awful QBs.  Instead of needing the league to protect them, maybe the Als should get smart and fire Kavis Reed and bring someone in who can actually scout good QBs and not run prospects like Vernon Adams off of his team.  Not the refs or the league's fault they put the bank on broken down Durant and Drew Willy.

Edmonton has also had their injuries, but Mike Reilly is not among them so ... don't know what they need to do there, and the Stamps don't have any injuries.  I suppose you could say Lulay in BC is one of those injured, but he came into this season as the backup anyway and got injured cuz he resorted back to his reckless ways.  I think Buono took a gamble on Jennings and it backfired.

Yeah BC is the other one cause Jennings has been hurt too, but BC has had a terrible offensive line all year and we all knew it was only a matter of time that their qbs got hurt playing behind those scrubs.

56 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I'm trying to figure out who exactly is losing starting QBs right and left besides the Redblacks.  I mean, Glenn was out this last game but not with anything real serious that the league must do to protect, just simply a throwing hand injury and he'll be back this next game. 

Glenn injured his hand hitting a helmet during his throw.

Helmets should be removed from the game immediately.

- Rod Pederson

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah BC is the other one cause Jennings has been hurt too, but BC has had a terrible offensive line all year and we all knew it was only a matter of time that their qbs got hurt playing behind those scrubs.

He was briefly hurt but returned to action this last game.  But even so, his decision-making and overall play just declined a lot this year, other than against that hapless Montreal team.

Bottom line, I don't see any quote on quote lack of competitiveness in this league this year, nor a depletion in quality of play anymore than I've ever seen.  2014 was a much worse year, but that's because this league goes in cycles.  You'll have years where offenses are shooting it out and lighting it up, and then years where defenses are taking over the show.  That's the way it always goes though.

Jennings for a bit

Lulay perhaps permanently

Glenn for a bit

Harris for quite a bit

Tate for a bit

Earlier,  Ray for a bit

That is 6 starting caliber  QBs in a 9 team league

Plus Durant and Collaros have contracted leprosy

That adds up to some kind of Egyptian disease no doubt contracted in part through undisciplined wild zebras

I say cage up those zebras and see if some kind of disciplined herding can take place before the plague gets worse

You want to stop MCL injuries? Lol. Or shoulder injuries? U want to use Tate as an example? Guy is SAWFT. 

Its Football. Injuries happen. 2 of those guys you mentioned are backups. 

Glenn hit his hand on a helmet. 

Jennings was injured on his own. 

Lulay is a walking banaid

Tate is also. 

Harris will be back next week

Ray is injury prone the last several years. 

There is NOTHING anyone can do to stop them from happening. NOTHING

Plague? Good god you are worse than fake news. 

Edited by Goalie

5 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Changes to challenges.  Toadaso 

Well, too damned bad. The coaches had bogged down the game with their stupid fishing expeditions. the game has more flow to it & is much more enjoyable to watch. Blaming a lack of challenges is reaching & just a crutch. Guys like Maas & Buono have no one to blame but themselves they lost the ability to have more challenges. Those days are never coming back. Refs need to be held accountable. If a team has a bad OL this is going to happen. And it's not just qbs. look at what Awe did to Finch & Messam on Saturday. Hits to the head leading with the helmet by Awe & no flags. Every player deserves protection. Not just qbs. 

17 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Reilly had two head injuries, but only one was from direct contact, ie. helmet to helmet, in the last game. That one was missed. His first head trauma was caused when his head hit the ground after, what I considered a legal hit in the chest area.

I did not know this.  While I still don't think there is a QB plague at all going around here, or at least no more than there's ever been, I'm a bit disturbed that the Esks medical staff didn't do a thorough check for concussions here.  Most other football leagues and colleges are implementing serious concussion protocols to make sure that players aren't suffering worse brain injuries down the road from not sitting out when they should be, and even if I don't like Reilly throwing any TD passes against us, I still hope he doesn't have longterm effects lasting from taking things like that.

QB's get hit like no other player.  They can only be effective if they remain focused on what is happening beyond the incredible scrum going on around them.  They have to step into the middle of the scrum (the pocket) and then extend their body completely in order to throw the ball accurately.  Until you do it, you will never be able to appreciate what the great ones are able to do.  Other players generally know when they are going to get hit and prepare for it.  They are trained to function in so

I hear people complaining that the rules are the same as flag football when it comes to the QB's.  That is the furthest thing from the truth. 

The officials need to be protect them. 

3 hours ago, MC said:

QB's get hit like no other player.  They can only be effective if they remain focused on what is happening beyond the incredible scrum going on around them.  They have to step into the middle of the scrum (the pocket) and then extend their body completely in order to throw the ball accurately.  Until you do it, you will never be able to appreciate what the great ones are able to do.  Other players generally know when they are going to get hit and prepare for it.  They are trained to function in so

I hear people complaining that the rules are the same as flag football when it comes to the QB's.  That is the furthest thing from the truth. 

The officials need to be protect them. 

This is such a huge un talked about factor. When a QB gets hit they are seldom able to brace and try to absorb it. And they take more shots from the back then any other player. 

I dont like some of the direction rule changes are taking the game. But protecting the qbs is a must.  Its come light years from the khari jones era. But still has a lot of work to do. 

3 hours ago, BigBlue said:

It seems the NFL has a better handle on protecting their QBs than the CFL does .... see that as I watch the rushing linemen in their games ... looks so different than our league

Really? Ask Cam Marshall how well he feels protected. He takes lots of head-shots, without repercussion.