What to do about the D?

White Out

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Since he was first brought in, then went to NFL, then came back, how many games has Ian played in? Seems to me he misses a lot of games every season.

https://www.cfl.ca/players/ian-wild/159663/

He played 29 games in his first two seasons, played 6 when he returned here in Sep. 2015, played 12 last season, and then played 2 this season until he broke his wrist (which is an injury anyone could suffer).

49 GP over the course of his career in the CFL (less than 5 full seasons).

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

He played 29 games in his first two seasons, played 6 when he returned here in Sep. 2015, played 12 last season, and then played 2 this season until he broke his wrist (which is an injury anyone could suffer).

Wild wouldn't be the first very good player whose body couldn't take the pounding and had to pack it in early.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

thanks!

The defnnece was bad before... but it does seem like it got substantially worse when they stopped playing Johnson at DT. Then got even worse when we lost Walker. Which does attest to the depth of player personnel on defence. Not having Ian Wild did seem to hurt us also... 

But im not defending Hall because even when everyone is healthy the defence is still soft and is still always one of the worst in the points against category

Edited by James

4 hours ago, James said:

The defnnece was bad before... but it does seem like it got substantially worse when they stopped playing Johnson at DT. Then got even worse when we lost Walker. Which does attest to the depth of player personnel on defence. Not having Ian Wild did seem to hurt us also... 

But im not defending Hall because even when everyone is healthy the defence is still soft and is still always one of the worst in the points against category

How could you possibly know? 

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

So it's look like Jovan Santos-Knox will start at WIL this week. Let's see if he will do better that Kyle Knox.

Kyle Knox will likely be out.

I'm guessing Kyrie Wilson will be activated from PR to be one of the DIs.

I'd rather they activate Cory Johnson but fear I'll be disappointed. #FreePoop

9 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd rather they activate Cory Johnson but fear I'll be disappointed. #FreePoop

I also want Poop to play. 

But, I dont think we will go with just 5 LBs (1 INT LB)  in the lineup .

I guess we can sit Ekakitie and add another DB (Conteh or Branning) , then activate Poop (instead of Wilson) 

Though we will be thin in LB corps if someone gets injured. 

Some can argue that Rush can be an emergency LB. Has he seen snaps in D on practices ? 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

4 hours ago, James said:

Because they were terrible from the begining? They let the leagues worst offence in Montreal march up and down the field on us and score 40 points. We barely squeaked that one out

Point being we haven't had a 100% healthy roster for a single game this year... 

The fact that Walker, Fogg, Flanders can all return kicks, and we keep Lankford on who save for one return and one reception gives us diddly just irritates the hell out of me.

We could use his spot for Poop Johnson preferably, or for Thorpe who over course of game gives us way more value on offence, and possibly the big play threat on returns.

Same with 4 defensive ends...3 is sufficient and a rotation of Westerman and  either Jeffcoat/ OPO  with Corney and  Nevis and Johnson taking majority of inside reps spelled off by Thomas  gives us a way better line-up.  These guys would all get enough reps and rest to be really into the game...we could use the Ekakitie spot on say a Conteh/banning or throw Drew W in there

Also  for what the value we get with the other import LB we DI , why not use that on a Thorpe, or a Poop,  or still allow us to roster Lankford if they feel he is so vital? Yeah sure people can clammer about how he the top returner...but that is yardage wise and mainly because we have returned more kicks than anyone...so a somewhat skewwed stat.

If anything I think roster management hinders us more than anything and how we allocate our ratio...