What to do about the D?

White Out

This is probably the softest D I've watched in decades a Bomber fan. I'm flummoxed. Owsh Walters and Hall (edit woops thats a bit embarrassing) had the off season to try and plug holes but it looks like it's the same old same old: not enough consistent pressure and incredibly  soft coverage. It's just infuriating. 

So what are some immediate things the coaches can do to try and make this D, arguably as bad or maybe worse than Hamilton's, closer to middle of the pack?

Edited by White Out

Move Loffler to LB.  He'd be a better WIL than anyone we have and his performance at safety is mediocre IMO.  He makes some hits but also makes some pretty big mistakes.  YAC against us is huge and he's a big part of it, mostly due to lack of footspeed and poor angles, he'd be better closer to the LOS IMO, and that's where he plays mostly anyway, where he tends to end up.  We are basically playing with a secondary short a player by Loffler's tendencies and our scheme.

Need more from a lot of guys.  To me Knox is off the roster, might be by injury anyway.  Hurl needs to play a role to fulfill the ratio but we can't have a useless WIL beside him too.

Scheme to hold guys in the middle of the field, always have guys playing a deep half from the seam out (meaning their priority is middle not sideline, more aggressive cover 2) and increase the difficulty of throws for opposing QB's.  The softest part of our coverage is smack dab down the seam right in front of QB's, way too easy.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Having two complete stiffs at linebacker is hurting our defense there's no doubt about that. 

Signing an impact guy like Grymes at HB would be huge. I don't mind Walker or Fogg, they're a lot better than Carmichael, but still not ideal to play at halfback every week.

Edited by Blueandgold

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Move Loffler to LB.  He'd be a better WIL than anyone we have and his performance at safety is mediocre IMO.  He makes some hits but also makes some pretty big mistakes.  YAC against us is huge and he's a big part of it. 

Need more from a lot of guys.  To me Knox is off the roster, might be by injury anyway.  Hurl needs to play a role to fulfill the ratio but we can't have a useless WIL beside him too.

Scheme to hold guys in the middle of the field, always have guys playing a deep half from the seam out (meaning their priority is middle not sideline, more aggressive cover 2) and increase the difficulty of throws for opposing QB's.  The softest part of our coverage is smack dab down the seam right in front of QB's, way too easy.

Loffler is playing LB/S right now with Hurl constantly on the line and unable to recover.  Don't think its fair to blame Loffler for YAC, he's basically our MLB.  

Richie Hall is still Richie Hall - but we have Sam Hurl instead of Mo Lloyd

Briggs at WIL, Jones at CB and Thomas at DT, Hurl is not fulfilling any ratio role...  if Santos-Knox does not draw into the game for Knox, why is he dressed instead of Poop Johnson.

Its the same personnel decisions that kill this team every year - loyal to some guys to a fault.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Frustrating thing is we know we'll be stuck with this defense the rest of the season & O'Shea will not make any coaching changes in the off season.

Hall is done at the end of the year. Not sure where u get this idea they dont make changes

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Loffler is playing LB/S right now with Hurl constantly on the line and unable to recover.  Don't think its fair to blame Loffler for YAC, he's basically our MLB.  

Disagree on Loffler.  He spends a lot of time in man coverage or in match zones where he ends up in man coverage.  He likes to play closer to the line and is a ball chasing kind of player.  He doesn't spend a lot of time between the tackles, he comes into the box sometimes, but he makes a lot of bad decisions on ball carriers and coverages.

Just now, Goalie said:

Hall is done at the end of the year. Not sure where u get this idea they dont make changes

Disappointing that Khalil Bass took the fall for Hall this past off-season...  and that Hurl was annointed replacement without ever announcing it

What does Hall think is the best case scenario week to week? Hope for the O to sore 30+ points every game?

Bend don't break only works if you dont surrender 40 points on a near weekly basis,

We're giving up 32 points a game on average. That's not how you win a Grey Cup, and that's all that matters to me right now.

Just now, White Out said:

What does Hall think is the best case scenario week to week? Hope for the O to sore 30+ points every game?

Bend don't break only works if you dont surrender 40 points on a near weekly basis,

We're giving up 32 points a game on average. That's not how you win a Grey Cup, and that's all that matters to me right now.

Arent we averaging 33 scored tho.. 33 is more than 32. 

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

Well 2 TDs tonight were on 1st and goal situations that the D walked into from a big return and a brutal INT.  If we're looking at a D in terms of points given up, they don't look nearly as bad as if you look at yards.

I think you could start a What to Do About the O thread too because they've been horribly inconsistent and comatose for long stretches of many games which has a pretty negative effect on the whole team.  This D isn't built to carry the team like say our 2011 one was.