What to do about the D?

White Out

Usually I instantly fly off the handle and berate everything bombers. Every player, all levels of management, coaches etc.. this time I took a couple hours for a break.

Overall, we had a stinker game. Nichols sucked for 3/4 of it, special teams sucked, receivers obviously didn't get open, and just countless breakdowns on defense putting us in a hole that was pretty much impossible to climb out of.

For once, though, I'm not predicting our imminent demise. We were bound to fall back to reality. We're 7-3. We can expect our D to tighten up next game, we can expect more shots down field next game, we can expect improvements on specials.

This is what we needed: a smack in the mouth to get our $hit together and I think we can expect o'shea to get the boys together 

Edited by Judd

This was so predictable, everyone knew the Bombers couldn't get down early in this game, yet they made it easy for the Riders to jump out to that big lead.

All the Bombers had to do to get win was avoid shooting themselves in the foot, but they couldn't.  Unless things change, this team won't go very far if they make the playoffs.

The frustrating thing is that we've seen the problems we saw today to some degree for the past season and a half, and it finally cost us not only the game but the idea that the Bombers were a contender.  Our D-line is nowhere as good as we were led to believe it would be. Westerman is good and the other Canucks are serviceable, but Nevis and Okpalaugo are s o-so at best. Poop Johnson and Jeffcoat have shown a lot. Our linebacking is terrible save for Leggett, and the DBs are mostly Ok.    The coaching is questionable.

So: bench the import d-linemen who are not producing, find replacements for Knox and Hurl (fat chance)  and tell Hall that he will be gone by season's end if things do not improve quickly and dramatically.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

What's the point of rostering Santos-Knox on STs if he can't go in at linebacker if there is an injury.? When Knox went out, Gauthier and Briggs went in for him.

Maybe we should've sat him instead of Thorpe. I'm not really impressed with our use of DI's this year. Santos-Knox, Carmichel and Lankford are all next to useless.

1 hour ago, Judd said:

Usually I instantly fly off the handle and berate everything bombers. Every player, all levels of management, coaches etc.. this time I took a couple hours for a break.

Overall, we had a stinker game. Nichols sucked for 3/4 of it, special teams sucked, receivers obviously didn't get open, and just countless breakdowns on defense putting us in a hole that was pretty much impossible to climb out of.

For once, though, I'm not predicting our imminent demise. We were bound to fall back to reality. We're 7-3. We can expect our D to tighten up next game, we can expect more shots down field next game, we can expect improvements on specials.

This is what we needed: a smack in the mouth to get our $hit together and I think we can expect o'shea to get the boys together 

Hopefully this loss will motivate management to seek some mid-season adjustments to improve areas of weakness and not close their eyes completely to recent NFL cuts.  LB is an area of need that must be upgraded if they expect to improve the team.

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Hopefully this loss will motivate management to seek some mid-season adjustments to improve areas of weakness and not close their eyes completely to recent NFL cuts.  LB is an area of need that must be upgraded if they expect to improve the team.

How much would that help given Richie Hall's defensive schemes?

This game was so Willy.  In the first half we would throw 4 yards on first down and 4 yards on second.  We never got going until we started to throw for over 10 yards.  They were hanging 5 yards off the LOS like vultures and just waiting.   Surely with a three men rush we could have given Nichols more time.

Next week, payback time!

12 minutes ago, White Out said:

And as of this writing no team has allowed more points against than us. Do you want to have a fancy record or do you want to win a championship? You don't win a championship with this D.

the bad defence has for one and a half seasons been compensated for by the Big play defensive turnovers.  didn't get any yesterday.  We lost.  Some people (Noeller was one) said preseason they were worried about the Defence.... and they were right.

I don't think this is an airlift kind of management. so... probably stick with what they've got and hope the Offense can score huge amounts of points.

Must be a  irritating to Mike O'Shea to have a team that performs so poorly on D, with so many guys that can't  tackle.  I don't remember him well, but I imagine he didn't whiff on  too many tackles.

Edit... defence excuse last season was that the offence was off the field too much, didn't score so the D was under stress. do not have that one this season.

Edited by Mark F

9 hours ago, J5V said:

You think it's the players? I think it's the scheme? 

Hall is definitely at fault, but our D-line has not been good enough as a unit, two of our three linebackers  would have a very hard time starting for any other team in the league and it sure as spit looks like the defense is skewed to compensate for that.  How much blame can be laid at the feet of the coaching if if there is little pressure on the opposing quarterback and the linebacking cannot stop critical runs up the middle or drop back into coverage well enough?

8 minutes ago, White Out said:

And as of this writing no team has allowed more points against than us. Do you want to have a fancy record or do you want to win a championship? You don't win a championship with this D.

Yes the d has been shakey at times this season and seems more vulnerable than it should but ... you as a longtime fan should know that a Bomber season can't be assessed on LDC results. Freaky doesn't even begin to cover what happens to us in those games :(

When guys are consistently 5 yards open on catches... To me, that says scheme is the problem. If it happened 1 or 2 times a game id blame the players but it happens all the time so they are being told to play off. 

Its almost like ppl are new fans to the CFL and didnt watch any rider or esks games when hall was there... Cuz... Its the same soft D.