Labour Day Classic: Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan

Rich

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

No one is saying that. No one has said they lost the game because of that. We're just saying it's a **** way to play the game. And at best looks unprofessional.

I'll say that if up tempo was ineffective, the Riders wouldn'thave bothered doing this.

The Bombers Up tempo offence works.

specially against Jones Defence which changes players a lot.

it wasn't the only reason the bombers lost; 

but it was one of the reasons the bombers lost.

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Significantly more "Internet Ink" has been spilled on the 3 'injuries' than all of the the other plays combined.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think the fake injuries were significant and unsportsmanlike. The Bombers have used the hurry-up to catch teams off-guard and keep momentum going and as others have mentioned two, or even three, scores is not a lot in the CFL, especially for the Bombers. A game can change a lot in a very short amount of time.

Almost as bad, if not worse, is the Riders not owning up to it. Why hide it if it's not shady?

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Significantly more "Internet Ink" has been spilled on the 3 'injuries' than all of the the other plays combined.

so what?

Do you think Lapolice and O'Shea aren't discussing it?

I'll also say, if you follow fan forums during Jets games, the Jets fans despise players who take dives , and that includes players on their own team.

Edited by Mark F

46 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

What about O'Shea's so called trick play having a player that was never a part of the offensive huddle step onto the wide side of the field. Still hidden somewhat by the rest of his team on the sidelines. In order to be wide open for a pass. Is that good sportsmanship? You see you can't have it both ways  

If you're going to put forward a rebuttal, make sure you get the facts straight. That play was properly conducted on a field goal attempt. Totally within the rules. It's not anywhere near the Rider soccer-style-fake-injury-after-the-whistle farce that the Riders perpetrated.

Why you Rider fans just can't admit it, I'll never know.

20 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

Typical short sighted comment. Showing ignorance to the subject matter by lashing out with profanity. I'm surprised this forum allows anyone to say someone else has their head up... well ... you know. 

Funny that this topic runs right to the end of the next page. If we are talking sportsmanship or above board. What about O'Shea's so called trick play having a player that was never a part of the offensive huddle step onto the wide side of the field. Still hidden somewhat by the rest of his team on the sidelines. In order to be wide open for a pass. Is that good sportsmanship? You see you can't have it both ways  

Bomber fans are football intelligent and that's why it bugs me that so many were dupped into focusing on 3 plays that were totally irrelevant to the outcome of the game. 

Typical whiny rebuttal from someone who clearly needs thicker skin but still has the audacity to troll a forum of another team. Pretty sad the best you can do is call someone ignorant because they called out your BS. Says a lot about you, or rather a glaring lack thereof.

Funny how you have chosen bemoan fans here over something you deem as inconsequential but continue to cry foul about it. And no, calling a trick play while trying to catch an opponent napping is nowhere near the same as faking an injury to prevent an opponent from executing a play. Not only have you demonstrated glaring ignorance with that apples and oranges comparison, you have also shown you have no idea how the concept of sportsmanship works. What a sad and petty deflection from an obvious fanboy who can't see things objectively. It's one thing to lecture others when you are actually capable of making a valid point, but in this case you just come across as hopelessly stupid.

I wish I could say greenies were intelligent where football was concerned. Dishonesty benefits nobody, though.

16 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

Hey I understand losing dosent feel good. It sucks in fact. But when a team gets their van cleaned and fans get in an uproar over something that was irrelevant to the outcome of the game. It comes across as nothing more than whining and super sour grapes. 

Best to focus on how the Bombers are going to control the next game. The last thing you want is the Riders taking 2 more points in your own stadium.

Yeah, you should be plenty familiar with losing after watching your team the last few seasons. Suddenly, they're a game above .500 and you decide to show up here and arrogantly lecture another fanbase on whining and sour grapes. All you flatbillies did was piss and moan prior to finally looking competitive, accusing the league of conspiring against the most inept franchise in the CFL for the better part of two and half seasons. Now, none of you can stop pounding your chests while telling other fanbases how to act.

And you'd have a point if it were only the fans here talking about RedCardGate, but that's not at all in line with reality. Your own fanbase has talked about it, your team has talked about, the media across the country has talked about it... Pretty much since it happened on Sunday. Learn to take a look at the entire picture next time.

It's not a fan's job to focus on how the team is going to do anything come Saturday, BTW. There's your football ignorance showing again.

Typical fan of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Run along back to RF.

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Well... Yeah, it has. It's worth mentioning.

Not sure why people are surprised by this. It's Chris "I'm a douchebag juice pig" Jones to a tee. It is perfect C"idjp"J- it is exactly what he would do in this instance.  

So we move on, get better and go win. **** Chris Jones. at least I don't have embarrass myself trying to twist my moral compass around to defend my Head-coach.

26 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

If you're going to put forward a rebuttal, make sure you get the facts straight. That play was properly conducted on a field goal attempt. Totally within the rules. It's not anywhere near the Rider soccer-style-fake-injury-after-the-whistle farce that the Riders perpetrated.

Why you Rider fans just can't admit it, I'll never know.

AND checked with the CFL officiating crew prior to attempting it to make sure it wasn't illegal or underhanded..

5 hours ago, johnzo said:

Okay, so the way I understand it, we run a tempo offence to prevent the D from substituting -- like say we convert a 2nd-and-short against a D that's got extra beef up front, then we go tempo so that we can call a pass against that heavy lineup.

But if tempo happens when the D will naturally want to substitute, there's always going to be a defensive player on the field who's going to be coming off anyway, and that player can alertly take a knee to allow a substitution. The only cost is losing that player for three snaps, which ain't nothing, but it ain't a huge thing. 

Seems like the injury rules make the tempo offence pretty useless. Be interesting to see if more coaches counter tempo this way.

If the "Tempo Offence" is a major component of Lapo's game plan then Lapo's game planning just became irrelevant because the blueprint for stopping us has just been revealed by Chris Jones. Now what do we do?

58 minutes ago, J5V said:

If the "Tempo Offence" is a major component of Lapo's game plan then Lapo's game planning just became irrelevant because the blueprint for stopping us has just been revealed by Chris Jones. Now what do we do?

there is only one option here.   If the ref blows the play in, and a player decides to fall over, the play must continue until the next whistle.  Do that, and the play-acting stops immediately.

56 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

there is only one option here.   If the ref blows the play in, and a player decides to fall over, the play must continue until the next whistle.  Do that, and the play-acting stops immediately.

Ref blows the play in, player decides to fall over, ref blows whistle again to stop play and check on fallen player, team with fallen player completes substitutions. Tempo offence nullified. Now what?

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

It wasn't illegal, but it was underhanded.

un·der·hand·ed
ˌəndərˈhandəd/
adjective
adjective: underhanded
  1. acting or done in a secret or dishonest way.
    "an underhanded method of snatching clients from rivals"
    synonyms: deceitful, deceptive, dishonest, dishonorable, disreputable, unethical, unprincipled, immoral, unscrupulous, fraudulent, dubious, unfair, snide;
    antonyms: honest

Nothing underhanded about it at all, actually. Executing a trick play within the rules of the game is not underhanded at all.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Yes really. Finding something obscure that hasn't been done in generations because it's already against the rules in all other situations is pretty underhanded.

Keep reaching. It's always good for a chuckle in your ongoing crusade to always be "right"... :lol:

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

It wasn't illegal, but it was underhanded.

un·der·hand·ed
ˌəndərˈhandəd/
adjective

Nothing secret (he was on the field in front of 20k plus people for all to see) nor dishonest (nothing fraudulent or cheating) about it.

16 minutes ago, pigseye said:

It looked like Jones was running the old Stubler/Argo 34 defence, which was very hard to pass against. O'Shea would know since he played most of his career in it.

Note to Lapo and O'Shea, if Jones tries it again, run the ball a lot.

Yea rushing 3 and dropping 9..you can do that when your up like Sask was but let's see how that d works when the game is on the line and we can run more...here is  hoping we can run the ball up Jones' s  a$$.

Edited by bb1

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:
un·der·hand·ed
ˌəndərˈhandəd/
adjective

Nothing secret (he was on the field in front of 20k plus people for all to see) nor dishonest (nothing fraudulent or cheating) about it.

I would disagree about the fraudulent part- the rule was put in place to allow injured players to be tended to and replaced. If a player fakes injury to gain a perceived or actual advantage, then it is fraudulent.

fraud·u·lent
[ˈfrôjələnt]ADJECTIVE
  1. obtained, done by, or involving deception, especially criminal deception:

Underhanded -  marked by secrecy, chicanery, and deception :  not honest and aboveboard 

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/underhanded

Secret? U bet. We hid the receiver on the sideline and we certainly didn't tell BC about the loophole we'd found that no one else had found for a generation or so.

Chicanery (deception by artful subterfuge or sophistry)? Yup. Hid a receiver and found a loophole that will likely be closed this off season and used it.

Deception: Absolutely. The whole sleeper play is based on deception.

Honest and aboveboard? Hardly. 

Now, lets apply this to the 'fake' injury situation....

Secret? Hardly. Matt, Milt and Doug Brown say it happens. The Riders may not have hid it as well as other teams, but that's kind of the opposite of a secret.

Chicanery Yup. Used a known loophole that won't likely be closed in the off season.

Deception: Maybe, but I'm pretty sure everyone on the field knew exactly what was happening when it happened, otherwise Harris and Nichols wouldn't have been upset.

Honest and aboveboard? Hardly. 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Yes really. Finding something obscure that hasn't been done in generations because it's already against the rules in all other situations is pretty underhanded.

the Bombers also threw the ball forward a lot in that game, in situations where it was against the rules to do it in all other situations unless the player throwing the ball was behind the line of scrimmage.  Pretty under-handed to do something like that that isn't allowed in all other situations.  They should be ashamed.