Bombers @ Lions: Game Day Thread (07/21/17)

Noeller

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I maintain it was Medlock's decision to throw that pass at that time. No way that was a called play. The Special Teams was given the green light by what the Coaches saw BC was doing and, for whatever reason, Medlock thought that was the time. A poor decision on his part.

There would have to be some kind of communication by Medlock to let his teammates know what he'd be doing. Obviously there wasn't. It's still on O'Shea for the play failing as he's the STC. Also, there should have been strict instructions not to go in that situation. Just punt the ball deep & cover. It wasn't the right time or field position. Still on O'Shea. Let's put it this way. LaPo plays scared offensively by calling little dump passes & checkdowns & that's okay.  Meanwhile our HC/STC gambles like that on 3rd down in such a crucial situation?? Makes no bloody sense. No wonder the players aren't on the same page when the coaches aren't.

10 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I maintain it was Medlock's decision to throw that pass at that time. No way that was a called play. The Special Teams was given the green light by what the Coaches saw BC was doing and, for whatever reason, Medlock thought that was the time. A poor decision on his part.

When is the last time Medlock has thrown a pass? I have a hard time believing out of the blue he just figured that was a good time to try it

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Whether it was his decision or the coaches it was idiotic and ultimately the coaches need to make sure the players are smarter about when they take risk. Medlock needs to look in the mirror after that game too cause not only was he short on a kick that he should have plenty of leg for, he was also putting some real poor punts up at the end of the game furthering the field position struggles they had with the offense going MIA for the 4th quarter. 

Only keenly aware players know when to try and pull something off on the opposition. Clearly, Medlock isn't one of them.

That had to be the worst punting Medlock has done for the Bombers, and overall, his worst game. 

But, he's had some doozies, so, we move on, and, next time tell Medlock...exactly what to do.

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

When is the last time Medlock has thrown a pass? I have a hard time believing out of the blue he just figured that was a good time to try it

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Which should have been done in the first place.

Listen, this isn't hard.

Special Teams spotted something the Lions were doing. It was noticed, and if the right situation came up, they were to try that play. 

They had practised it, but it was not the right time to try it...obviously.

Medlock has to wear that one.

I don't get they did not stay aggressive thing in the last 5 two in outs three I think had a pass of 20 yards or more. They continued to use miss direction plays. Lions made some good plays especially on that pick. It was an excellent read from the DB 

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Listen, this isn't hard.

Special Teams spotted something the Lions were doing. It was noticed, and if the right situation came up, they were to try that play. 

They had practised it, but it was not the right time to try it...obviously.

Medlock has to wear that one.

No, the STC (Osh) does as it's his ship. He designed the play & will take the credit or in this case the criticism as it didn't work. Medlock should have been told not to even think about it with the game on the line & the Bombers deep in their end. It's always about coaching. O'Shea wears it in this situation.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Nah BS, your reply is the definition of an inferiority complex and the comforting acceptance of mediocrity, to say this team can not be equal to Edm. or Cgy. 4 years into the regime is ludicrous.  They demonstrated that they were a good team last year and played equal with those two teams, I expect them to be a better/smarter team this year and not repeat the same mistakes they made in the WSF by easing off the throttle and blowing a sizeable lead.  I defer to O'Shea and Walters to make the right personnel decisions to improve the team as they seem to be on the right track.  What they lack at this point is the conviction to win, smart in game coaching and a fire in the belly to get the job done.

Never said they couldn't be equal to Calgary or Edmonton after 4 years.  But they aren't, not quite yet.  Would I rather that they were?  Sure, of course.  But I still see progress here.  Maybe it's not as fast as you or I would like, but I still see us on the right track.  Maybe you disagree.  Maybe you think a team should steadily get better every year, from 8 wins, to 10, to 12, to 14.  But I've never seen it actually work that way.  

In my opinion, you build a good baseline and then you're at the mercy of injuries, luck, the schedule, and other factors.  When everything goes right you win 14.  When everything goes wrong you still win 8.  I think we're a good team right now.  I believe it would be foolish to make a panic move now, hoping that we can just switch a coach and go over .500.  I've been watching for the last 26 years just like you.  And I know it can easily go the other way when you shake things up.  

This is what we've got and I'm not satisfied yet but I'm still pleased with where it's going.  My opinion didn't change after week 1, 2, or 3 and it hasn't changed now.  We're on the right track.

After we lost to Calgary, everyone said I was crazy, that the team was on a death march.  There's no way we can win with O'Shea when the other team has Trestman.  Then we won.  And we'll win again next week.

Edited by Atomic

14 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Never said they couldn't be equal to Calgary or Edmonton after 4 years.  But they aren't, not quite yet.  Would I rather that they were?  Sure, of course.  But I still see progress here.  Maybe it's not as fast as you or I would like, but I still see us on the right track.  Maybe you disagree.  Maybe you think a team should steadily get better every year, from 8 wins, to 10, to 12, to 14.  But I've never seen it actually work that way.  

In my opinion, you build a good baseline and then you're at the mercy of injuries, luck, the schedule, and other factors.  When everything goes right you win 14.  When everything goes wrong you still win 8.  I think we're a good team right now.  I believe it would be foolish to make a panic move now, hoping that we can just switch a coach and go over .500.  I've been watching for the last 26 years just like you.  And I know it can easily go the other way when you shake things up.  

This is what we've got and I'm not satisfied yet but I'm still pleased with where it's going.  My opinion didn't change after week 1, 2, or 3 and it hasn't changed now.  We're on the right track.

After we lost to Calgary, everyone said I was crazy, that the team was on a death march.  There's no way we can win with O'Shea when the other team has Trestman.  Then we won.  And we'll win again next week.

O'Shea year four, Trestman year one. I realize you are afraid if we make a change things will go South but isn't it just possible that if we, instead of Toronto, had landed a coach like Trestman that things could improve too?

I never saw the game last night because I had to work so I am not going to pretend I know what happened out there. Looking at the posts here it is apparent what happened though and it looks like more blunderitis. For gawd'sake, this has to stop, and who to stop it if not the coach?

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

O'Shea year four, Trestman year one. I realize you are afraid if we make a change things will go South but isn't it just possible that if we, instead of Toronto, had landed a coach like Trestman that things could improve too?

Absolutely it's possible.  But we didn't.  What's your point, exactly?  We should have fired O'Shea after an 11-7 season and hired Trestman?  Or are you hoping Chris Jones or Austin shake loose after this season and we hire one of them?  Would love to hear your thoughts.  Maybe throw a million dollars at Hufnagel?  That one's always popular.  Unrealistic, but popular.

I understand that the loss is frustrating and most people are just venting.  Hell, I was screaming when Medlock threw that pass.  But I'm not getting sucked into the *****-fest.  I still feel like the team is heading the right way, even if that loss is a painful one.  I understand that a weekly "Should Mike O'Shea be fired?" thread can turn into a 7 game win streak real quick.

The right move was to re-up O'Shea given the season we had last year. What message would it have said if we let him go? That being said, he has to get his head out of his ass & start demanding a lot better from himself as a STC & HC, LaPo, Ritchie, the other assistants & players. There's no excuse for the team to play like it has in the 1st quarter of every game or some of the decisions being made. The way things are now, it's just not good enough.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

That had to be the worst punting Medlock has done for the Bombers, and overall, his worst game. 

But, he's had some doozies, so, we move on, and, next time tell Medlock...exactly what to do.

He was punting directionally to pin Rainey. He actually averaged 35 yards per punt (BC: 39). Rainey averaged fewer yards per punt return than Lankford did. 

Close game between 2 good teams.. Both missing some players. Im not sure why the whole sky is falling attitude appears after every loss... But whatever. Hell of a game tho... 2 very good teams... If the Bombers O ever decides to show up on time... Look out... 42 easily could have been 50 plus... 

You can try and put this on oshea or special teams eventho a punt block and fake fg lead to 14 of our points but the bottom line is our O was on fire and then... Stopped doing what was working and went ultra passive.. The Lapo special... Theres a reason hes been fired 2 or 3 x by us now... Its no different to when he was coach... D and special teams picking up the slack for an O that mainly goes 2 and out.

Seen this before... Lapo is what he is and Nichols so far.. He hasnt been as good. 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

Absolutely it's possible.  But we didn't.  What's your point, exactly?  We should have fired O'Shea after an 11-7 season and hired Trestman?  Or are you hoping Chris Jones or Austin shake loose after this season and we hire one of them?  Would love to hear your thoughts.  Maybe throw a million dollars at Hufnagel?  That one's always popular.  Unrealistic, but popular.

I understand that the loss is frustrating and most people are just venting.  Hell, I was screaming when Medlock threw that pass.  But I'm not getting sucked into the *****-fest.  I still feel like the team is heading the right way, even if that loss is a painful one.  I understand that a weekly "Should Mike O'Shea be fired?" thread can turn into a 7 game win streak real quick.

O'Shea is not a very good head coach and should be replaced as soon as better is available. Repeat with every coach, player, scout, and trainer until we are the best team in the league. We, as an organization, don't do that and it is an insult and a disservice to the fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

39 minutes ago, J5V said:

O'Shea is not a very good head coach and should be replaced as soon as better is available. Repeat with every coach, player, scout, and trainer until we are the best team in the league. We, as an organization, don't do that and it is an insult and a disservice to the fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

There isn't an eyeroll big enough for this post but I respect your crazy opinion

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I think the same can be said for Paul Maurice and the Winnipeg Jets.  If both teams would just follow your advice we'd be planning Grey and Stanley Cup parades forevermore.

People are quick to blame Lapo for the slow starts and finishes.  Maybe just maybe it is Nichols who should shoulder an equal or larger portion of the blame.  Could it be possible the he is choosing the option to pass short on 2nd and long?  Taking the shortest and safest passing option?  I think so.  We are talking about an average QB here with average at best arm strength and as already been posted here, the quarterback with the worst accuracy beyond 20 yards.

Nichols deserves his share of the blame and if it weren't for the turnovers by the defense that resulted in a TD and short fields I think it is safe to say Nichols would have struggled to lead the Bomber offense to more than 20 points.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Maybe this time, firing everyone would be just the thing to right the ship.  I mean, when has this strategy ever let us down in the past?

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

There isn't an eyeroll big enough for this post but I respect your crazy opinion

As you know and as corny as it sounds there are teams in all leagues that are much more heavily committed to winning a championship than others. In that sense we have become the Cleveland Browns -- just be happy to have a mediocre team that isn't the laughing stock of the league (and sometimes is).

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

Maybe this time, firing everyone would be just the thing to right the ship.  I mean, when has this strategy ever let us down in the past?

You don't read for comprehension, do you?

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

People are quick to blame Lapo for the slow starts and finishes.  Maybe just maybe it is Nichols who should shoulder an equal or larger portion of the blame.  Could it be possible the he is choosing the option to pass short on 2nd and long?  Taking the shortest and safest passing option?  I think so.  We are talking about an average QB here with average at best arm strength and as already been posted here, the quarterback with the worst accuracy beyond 20 yards.

Nichols deserves his share of the blame and if it weren't for the turnovers by the defense that resulted in a TD and short fields I think it is safe to say Nichols would have struggled to lead the Bomber offense to more than 20 points.

People are quick to blame LaPo because they've seen this movie before.

6 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Actually, I  tend to read quite well.  Pray tell how I misinterpreted you ever so sage musings? 

I have no idea how you misinterpreted it but you quoted me saying "should be replaced as soon as better is available. Repeat with every coach, player, scout, and trainer" and somehow equated it with "firing everyone would be just the thing to right the ship". Hence the question. If that's really what you thought I meant, well, I suppose I could try harder to write in a manner that you can understand because, I really like you and wish we could be friends.