67 members have voted

1. 1. Who was our worst coach?

• Mike kelly
    • Tim Burke
    • Jeff Reinbold
    • Jim Daley
    • Doug Berry

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

Mike's got the tough job, facing the media after each game, win or lose. I don't envy him that. He isn't alone. Apparently neither Lapo nor Hall had any answers for stopping the Rider's momentum either.

As for asking the reporter "Right?". I wish he wouldn't do that for the reason stated.

It's a turn of phrase.  He's not actually suggesting that he needs the opinion of the reporter.  Most native English speaking people would recognise that.

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

Unlike some here, I don't give Mike a free ride just because he's a nice guy. He can do better, needs to do better, and I expect him to do better. He needs to find a way to get his team to play for 60 minutes, for example.

I agree but I wouldn't judge him based on his interactions with the media because he's basically a closed book.  Nothing you get from him is going to reflect reality that closely.  Like when you say he's stating the obvious.... it's not because that's all he sees, it's because he doesn't want to give away the slightest bit of information.  Questioning his in-game decisions.... fair game and valid.  Media interactions?  I wouldn't even bother.

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

Unlike some here, I don't give Mike a free ride just because he's a nice guy. He can do better, needs to do better, and I expect him to do better. He needs to find a way to get his team to play for 60 minutes, for example.

theres giving him a free ride and then theres attempting to hang him with every piece of misconceived rope you seem to find about the guy lol.  You have a real weird dislike for the coach and I've yet to see any justifiable reason for it beyond his inexperience.  Unfortunately the only way to get experience is, well to get experience.  He's shown (to me anyway) hes capable of learning, capable of changing his first instinct and admit when he made a mistake. 

dunno, just odd to me how you take such umbrage with him at every chance you can.

I know the title of the thread is asking about head coaches, but since it doesn't actually specify that I'd like to add in a couple of the completely useless OCs we've had. Gary Crowton and Marcel Bellefeuille anyone? Crowton for a lack of understanding of the Canadian game and Bellefeuille because how can a guy who had been in the league so long be so bad?

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So here's the thing about Berry... In spite of his record, he was despised in the locker room by all accounts...

Funniest Berry story I ever heard was when someone I knew was fundraising and knocked on Berry's door.  He came to the door, she started saying why she was there, and he yelled "CHARITY?!" and slammed the door in her face.

24 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

It's a turn of phrase.  He's not actually suggesting that he needs the opinion of the reporter.  Most native English speaking people would recognise that.

Freudian slip?

I think the only coach on that list who's ever had a co-ordinator quit / leave the team mid season was Jim Daley .. it wasn't as disheartening to watch as the Burke lead Bombers but that team was a complete shambles.  How people can put Berry in the "worst" category without mentioning this guy .. have to give my head a shake.

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Winning > despised in the locker room by all accounts

I've always said I don't give a rats ass about the HC's personality, how he interacts with the media or how well liked he is by players .. if he wins consistently (and brings this team a championship) .. he could throat punch Bob Irving for all I care.

Burke was the worst. Deer in the headlights. You'd think a guy who wanted to be a head coach for so long would have more of an idea what he was going to do once it happened.

Zaleski had NO talent to work with, still think he was no good though. When Hoss Houmard is your best player you are in deep trouble. I still remember being at a game, the old bench seating and the guy behind me yelling on every single play "give it ta Hoss!".

Reinbold also a case of being over his head, worked hard and the players loved him though.

Funny how not having a quality QB is the recurring theme here too.

34 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I agree but I wouldn't judge him based on his interactions with the media because he's basically a closed book.  Nothing you get from him is going to reflect reality that closely.  Like when you say he's stating the obvious.... it's not because that's all he sees, it's because he doesn't want to give away the slightest bit of information.  Questioning his in-game decisions.... fair game and valid.  Media interactions?  I wouldn't even bother.

So true. Remember Dave Ritchie's post game interviews, priceless. But his in game decisions and schemes were some of the best we ever had and he was a players coach.

Edited by coach17
Added thought

28 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Ha! Fair enough. I sometimes wonder though, if I'm an opposing head coach, and I listen to Mike answering questions from the media, I might be thinking, does this guy understand how to do his job or can I take advantage of his inexperience? For example, I might think, get to his team early because they are slow starters, develop some momentum and he'll have no clue how to stop it, keep putting pressure on him and he'll make a blunder. If Mike dazzled the media once in a while with his brilliant observations and strategies, that opposing coach might not be so willing to try to take advantage. I don't think that opposing coach is thinking that Mike's got this all figured out and just doesn't want to give anything away. In 3+ years, our team remains one that starts slowly, can't stem the flow of momentum, and continues to make coaching mistakes. I'm at the point where I'd like to see something different. Something better.

I like Mike. Everyone likes Mike. That's not what this is about.

Just now, J5V said:

Ha! Fair enough. I sometimes wonder though, if I'm an opposing head coach, and I listen to Mike answering questions from the media, I might be thinking, does this guy understand how to do his job or can I take advantage of his inexperience? For example, I might think, get to his team early because they are slow starters, develop some momentum and he'll have no clue how to stop it, keep putting pressure on him and he'll make a blunder. If Mike dazzled the media once in a while with his brilliant observations and strategies, that opposing coach might not be so willing to try to take advantage. I don't think that opposing coach is thinking that Mike's got this all figured out and just doesn't want to give anything away. In 3+ years, our team remains one that starts slowly, can't stem the flow of momentum, and continues to make coaching mistakes. I'm at the point where I'd like to see something different. Something better.

no.. its about his coaching abilities.. and I think hes done pretty well in the last year and into this one.  11-7 and an Western final berth is pretty solid around here as of late.  Like I mentioned earlier, hes shown hes evolving and able to admit when he did something wrong.  I think you fail to appreciate the positives that hes shown and focus so much on the perceived negatives.   I mean hes not a seasoned vet with the big head phones nor was he really groomed prior to taking on the role.. I think with that considered, hes done well and only looks to improve.   

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

Maybe its just me, but I suspect most coaches will game plan based on what they see on the film, not what is said or not said in media interviews.  

Other coaches will also judge how capable Mike and his team of coaches are based on game film, not a media interview.  

Just now, SPuDS said:

no.. its about his coaching abilities.. and I think hes done pretty well in the last year and into this one.  11-7 and an Western final berth is pretty solid around here as of late.  Like I mentioned earlier, hes shown hes evolving and able to admit when he did something wrong.  I think you fail to appreciate the positives that hes shown and focus so much on the perceived negatives.   I mean hes not a seasoned vet with the big head phones nor was he really groomed prior to taking on the role.. I think with that considered, hes done well and only looks to improve.   

I agree with that. In fact, I think Mike is going to out-coach his share of games this year. 11-7 was great. I want more, dammit!

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Maybe its just me, but I suspect most coaches will game plan based on what they see on the film, not what is said or not said in media interviews.  

Other coaches will also judge how capable Mike and his team of coaches are based on game film, not a media interview.  

That's probably true. I'm probably way off base. Being a fan, all I get to see are the games and the media reports.

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Especially when said Coach is a hall of fame MLB who won multiple championships. Fairly sure he knows a thing or two about the game and how to flip momentum. 

18 minutes ago, J5V said:

That's probably true. I'm probably way off base. Being a fan, all I get to see are the games and the media reports.

I understand your frustration. I get it but the bombers have had some crappy coaches and managers over the years with a few highlights. My last really great memory is Greg Battle scoring in the GC. That is along time ago. That kind of record doesn't bring the coaches who have a good record. Without good coaches, how do you prepare the next generation (think Dickenson in Calgary)? 

It is hard to grow your own coach. We all know people who were great workers and terrible leaders. It was a big gamble to take MO as a head coach from special teams. He is still learning but I think we can all see some growth. I for one am pretty hopeful. Yes I know I call myself Fanboy so you can just say koolaid drinker but I hated Mike Kelly with the intensity of a thousand suns. Ask my wife. 

Could not resist.....as the memories kept flooding back....and the gin kept flooding in.

Dishonorable mention:

Mike Kelly

Serious anger and maturity issues ******** whatever potential this guy ever or may of had.

The Fateful Five.....from bad to worse

5.  Joe Zaleski

As already pointed out above, he had the worst talent level of this group.  That said, one cannot overlook the outstandingly bad records he compiled.

4.  Jeff Reinebold

Great personality, but way over his head in the deep end, without water wings.   I give a certain amount of blame to the Bomber BOD, who hired this guy as a marketing ploy even though Dr. Jeff had a serious lack of credentials, to actually do the job.   Style over substance.  Optics over wins...

3.  Jim Daley

Nice guy.  Useless Head Coach.   Couldn't make adjustments to save his life.  Spent pre-game interviews musing abut how awesome the opposing team was.....and spent post-game interviews making excuses about why we couldn't do anything about anything at all.  Players (to say nothing about the fans) openly commented about the lack of structure and schemes, on multiple occasions.

2.  Darryl Rogers

Not a nice guy.  Useless Head Coach.   Couldn't make adjustments to save his life.   No clue about a CFL roster, Canadian ratio, or just about anything else related to the Canadian Football League.....and just didn't seem to care.   Drove the Detroit Lions into the ground, before accomplishing the same, thing here.   Still managed to maintain a stridently arrogant "Mr. NFL" persona, towards media and fans.  An International loser.

1. Tim Burke

Peter Principle, over his head, out of his depth......call it what you will - Burke's tenure was an utter and abject disaster on multiple levels.  From his in-game blunders, to his constant excusemeistering, to throwing players under the bus, to his disheartening, uninspiring and sad-sac persona, and to finally asserting, after the fact.... that he "didn't want the job, in the first place"!!!   Biggest mistake was actually letting him finish out his last season.   Burke was a simply a lame duck from the get-go.

Edited by do or die

I voted for Rein-dolt. Nice guy. Great to talk to. His players loved him. Gave him too much too soon and he imploded.

Second in my mind is Zaleski. Historically bad teams.

Third would be Kelly. We didn't learn our lesson with Reinebold and gave Kelly full rein. Horrible coach. Horrible to the media and the fans. Immature. Jones .5.

Fourth... Tim Burke. I'll never understand why we kept him around for 2013.

Mike Kelly is an interesting case. If he hadn't canned Glenn and utterly horked the offence, I think his bombers were a playoff team that year. Mike Kelly was not the worst HC, but he was a brutally bad OC and made some giant boners as a GM.

yes, Tim Burke was a terrible coach ... but consider that during the 2013 season our best starting QB option was Max Hall, our starting Canadians included Poblah, Etienne, Tyson Pencer, and Cauchy Muamba.  Shannon Boatman was a starting tackle for much of the season. Don Matthews couldn't have won with that team. 

Burke gets a bit of a mulligan from me based on how badly Joe Mack ****** this team.  Also, Burke had a better record than Reinebold with a worse team. So I'm gonna go Reinebold on this one.

Zaleski was before my time and I kinda missed the Rogers year. It was my first summer of university and I spent it drunk.

Edited by johnzo