Who was our worst coach?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who was our worst coach?

• Mike kelly
    • Tim Burke
    • Jeff Reinbold
    • Jim Daley
    • Doug Berry

Kelly might have been a decent coach but he was a control freak who did not trust anyone which led to his failure. The man became paranoid over the littlest of things. He never listened to anyone & felt that he could do whatever he wanted. Treated people like crap. Including the media, fans on the call in portion of The Coaches Show  as well as that infamous interview on the radio after a game in Montreal where he got upset with the questions Bob Irving & Mitch Zalnasky  were asking. He deserved everything that happened to him.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Kelly might have been a decent coach but he was a control freak who did not trust anyone. The man became paranoid over the littlest of things. He never listened to anyone & felt that he could do whatever he wanted. Treated people like crap. Including the media, fans on the call in portion of The Coaches Show  as well as that infamous interview on the radio after a game in Montreal where he got upset with the questions Bob Irving & Mitch Zalnasky  were asking.

so in other words chris jones 1.0

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

so in other words chris jones 1.0

yep. I've said it a few times a while ago over at RF that Chris Jones has all the makings of Mike Kelly era in riderville, especially with the huge divide among the fanbase. 

In 1997-98 the internet was still relatively young so I doubt there were many if any Internet forums back then,  just call in shows,  I wonder what kind of divide there would have been with Reinbold? IMO by the time Burke took the reigns many fans were already exhausted from years of frustration and fighting, Maybe Lapo getting us to the GC in 2011 help cool the fire a bit,  but there didn't seem to be as much bickering when Burke was HC other than people disillusioned with the IMWT tenure

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

yep. I've said it a few times a while ago over at RF that Chris Jones has all the makings of Mike Kelly era in riderville, especially with the huge divide among the fanbase. 

In 1997-98 the internet was still relatively young so I doubt there were many if any Internet forums back then,  just call in shows,  I wonder what kind of divide there would have been with Reinbold? IMO by the time Burke took the reigns many fans were already exhausted from years of frustration and fighting, Maybe Lapo getting us to the GC in 2011 help cool the fire a bit,  but there didn't seem to be as much bickering when Burke was HC other than people disillusioned with the IMWT tenure

It felt like the fans in general supported reinbold for a good while, It was a pretty clear talent on the field problem imo. It did wear out though. 

People wanted burke to stay for the D he ran. And felt his D could carry the team. Iirc he had consideration before lapo was hired for HC. And some one interviewed him (maybe hammy?) When ever a coach excels at a CO spot they end up with hype and hope for becoming a great hc. Id take  burke right now as our DC if they let him run his system. Reinbold is a good teams co. I wouldnt want kelly selling peanuts at the stadium. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

It felt like the fans in general supported reinbold for a good while, It was a pretty clear talent on the field problem imo. It did wear out though. 

People wanted burke to stay for the D he ran. And felt his D could carry the team. Iirc he had consideration before lapo was hired for HC. And some one interviewed him (maybe hammy?) When ever a coach excels at a CO spot they end up with hype and hope for becoming a great hc. Id take  burke right now as our DC if they let him run his system. Reinbold is a good teams co. I wouldnt want kelly selling peanuts at the stadium. 

I think Burke's head coaching tenure here burnt him out as a coach. He went to Toronto as their DC after being fired here & then resigned a year later. I don't know if he's even in the game coaching anywhere anymore.

Reinebold is the current DC of the ticats, which got pretty lit up vs the argos. I bet they are going to miss Steinauer tremendously this year. 

I wouldn't mind seeing what Burke could do with our D, but for all his scheming drawbacks,  Hall does seem to get a lot of turnovers with what he calls (winning yet another turnover battle sat night)

Wish we could have snagged Khari Jones for OC when he left Hamilton. IMO he should be the next man up for a HC job 

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think Burke's head coaching tenure here burnt him out as a coach. He went to Toronto as their DC after being fired here & then resigned a year later. I don't know if he's even in the game coaching anywhere anymore.

Just reading a bit it sounds like it was as much personal as performance related. Though no one out side the argos room can say for sure. 

It seems like he is not coaching now, which is too bad he was a very good DC imo. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Just reading a bit it sounds like it was as much personal as performance related. Though no one out side the argos room can say for sure. 

It seems like he is not coaching now, which is too bad he was a very good DC imo. 

I wonder if the riders would reach out to Burke like they did with Etcheverry last year in some kind of consultant role. I'd take Burke's advice over Etch's all day every day. 

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hard to believe a guy who was so good as a DC could be such a train wreck as a head coach.

Is it that hard to believe though?  Much different job. I am sure Mike O'Shea would be the first to say it too. Speaking of which, so glad we had the patience to stick it out with MOS's learning curve for three years. Finally paying dividends IMO.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

I'm too young to remember Zaleski, but Burke definitely is tops on this list in my opinion. We were better off not even showing up some nights. Berry has no business on this list for the reasons already mentioned. To be honest, as much of a lunatic that he was I don't think Kelly should be on this list either. Had we won the last game of the season against Hamilton we would have made the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

I'm too young to remember Zaleski, but Burke definitely is tops on this list in my opinion. We were better off not even showing up some nights. Berry has no business on this list for the reasons already mentioned. To be honest, as much of a lunatic that he was I don't think Kelly should be on this list either. Had we won the last game of the season against Hamilton we would have made the playoffs. 

really really disliked Kelly as a coach but that game I went to in BC where Fred Reid and Yveson Bernard went wild and ran rough-shod over the BC Lions defense was one of my favorite games in the last 20 years, almost as much fun as the game I saw where Ty Jones turned Roy Dewalt into a frightened panicky teenage girl.  Not sure why everything came together for that game, but it sure did.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

8 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Is it that hard to believe though?  Much different job. I am sure Mike O'Shea would be the first to say it too. Speaking of which, so glad we had the patience to stick it out with MOS's learning curve for three years. Finally paying dividends IMO.

He's still got a ways to go. During the postgame he was saying we need to find a way to stop the other team's momentum, "myself included. Right?" He sounded like he didn't have a clue there and was asking the media if that was right. Yikes. He referred to punting out of his end zone as maybe something to change. "We'll look at it" I dunno, he just sounds ... lost, some times. Always stating the obvious. I worry about what goes through his mind out there.

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

He's still got a ways to go. During the postgame he was saying we need to find a way to stop the other team's momentum, "myself included. Right?" He sounded like he didn't have a clue there and was asking the media if that was right. Yikes. He referred to punting out of his end zone as maybe something to change. "We'll look at it" I dunno, he just sounds ... lost, some times. Always stating the obvious. I worry about what goes through his mind out there.

You gotta be kidding me

18 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You gotta be kidding me

Mike's got the tough job, facing the media after each game, win or lose. I don't envy him that. He isn't alone. Apparently neither Lapo nor Hall had any answers for stopping the Rider's momentum either.

As for asking the reporter "Right?". I wish he wouldn't do that for the reason stated.

My thoughts (not necessarily in any order):

Tim Burke - just completely clueless in every sense.... seems like he even forgot how to run defense when he became a HC...

Mike Kelly - he had a few problems... 1) he wore too many hats, which is a terrible idea for a rookie HC... 2) his offense was out-dated and ineffective.... 3) he was terrible with all things PR.... but certainly not the worst HC we've seen

Jeff Reinebold - see too many hats issue... not really sure too much else about him.. that was near the beginning of my Bomber fandom and I wasn't exactly analyzing coaching decisions at 12 years old

Joe Zaleski - long before my time... but I literally never heard a good thing about this coach...

Doug Berry - insulting that you included him on this list... he took the team to the Grey Cup and would have had a very good chance to win if not for losing his starting QB...

17 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

lol ya thats a reach, even for Jv5

Unlike some here, I don't give Mike a free ride just because he's a nice guy. He can do better, needs to do better, and I expect him to do better. He needs to find a way to get his team to play for 60 minutes, for example.