Biggest Rivalry in the CFL: Regina Winnipeg

BigBlue

5 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Appreciate thoughts from those of you who know more about the technicalities of the game as to how we could exploit this:

3 man rush usually indicates a more pass-heavy defense.   We would want to use Harris more in screens, passes as he sneaks out of the backfield if not picked up by a DB/SAM.  this should allow Nichols ample time tho as well to pick apart the weak secondary that the riders will field. 

So in essence, its an attempt to cover up the backend of the team by adding an extra defender into the mix but at the cost of run protection/pressure on the QB... in years past, 3 man pressure would have forced our QBs to rush due to interior collapses but I think our revamped o-line will handle this easily.. 

*knocks on wood*

5 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Appreciate thoughts from those of you who know more about the technicalities of the game as to how we could exploit this:

They did the same thing last year. It's passive and to me, it's an easy way to get beat up and down the field all day. If you don't even rush four, it allows us to do so many things. Send Harris out into the intermediates as a receiver ... work the 10-15 yard game ... force their inexperienced defensive backs to beat us.

The problem with that is that you're putting way too much on the plate of a group with no real proven success. Montreal kind of played into their hands last week a little bit, I thought. I don't know what the approach was, but you saw what happens when you go over the top of a secondary that isn't in sync with their communication. It's not going to happen every time, but teams like the Riders are way more prone to the 30+ yard play because of the higher potential for breakdowns like that.

Not to mention, I'd expect they're going to have their hands full with the bigger bodied guys like Washington and Adams. Those guys are physical receivers, guys who will make the Riders get physical in return ... can they do it without penalties?

Yeah pretty much a scheme to overcompensate for a know flaw on their part...Which is going to be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Start off run heavy..short and underneath routes, and screens because it's going to open up for like Mike said especially with an inexperienced group the big plays.

They are going to start to cheat and bite early and then they will get exploited...and odd as it sounds but I can see their one experienced vet on Jovon getting caught biting and trying to jump in and our tall bigger receivers having a lot of over the top plays and busted coverage's.

Also too, they are set up for some big runs, especially with Harris, who is prob one of the best, if not the best in making misses in second level, or busting through the first initial contact.  With the way Hardrick and Bond love getting into the second level with their blocks theres going to be a lot of room for some serious yards.

Edited by Booch

Riders did not look so great in their first game. Not much of a presence for their stellar receiving crew. Montreal did not seem to put much of a push on Glenn like years past but it did not look like stellar OL play.  Based on the run stopping I saw, Harris is going to have a good stat day. Might break a few arm tackles if not arms. 

1 minute ago, Fan Boy said:

Riders did not look so great in their first game. Not much of a presence for their stellar receiving crew. Montreal did not seem to put much of a push on Glenn like years past but it did not look like stellar OL play.  Based on the run stopping I saw, Harris is going to have a good stat day. Might break a few arm tackles if not arms. 

Nichols gets all day to throw based off what I saw in MTL

Rush 3 and Harris will the offensive player of the week. Rush 4 and we will pick that weak sauce secondary apart. Couple that with the brain farts and penalties they will take and it's an easy Bomber win provided our defence is even semi decent.

49 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's not surprising.  It's Jones scheme, always has been.  The idea is that they often show 7-8-9 guys who are potential rushers on any down and any number between 2 and all 9 are coming, you get to guess each down.  Basically anyone could be running at the QB or dropping into a zone.

It's his known scheme, but the number posted by DT is still surprising.  

My first line of thought when I looked at that number the first time is that Jones is trying to give us least amount of footage of where the blitzes may be coming from as possible.

You are oversimplifying it.  There are lots of reasons to rush 3 and several schemes that run it a great deal.  The same teams who rush 3 usually also bring 5 or more often as well.  Also, the Riders have an outstanding defensive mind at the controls.  Pre-snap: show 6 rushers. The QB is going to look for a hot receiver.  Post-snap:  bring 3 rushers drop 3 into the flat and shallow middle.  QB now has to either throw into coverage or wait it out. 

Bringing 3 doesn't indicate that the defense is going to be soft on the running game.  The Steelers have done that for years and had the best run defense.

11 minutes ago, MC said:

You are oversimplifying it.  There are lots of reasons to rush 3 and several schemes that run it a great deal.  The same teams who rush 3 usually also bring 5 or more often as well.  Also, the Riders have an outstanding defensive mind at the controls.  Pre-snap: show 6 rushers. The QB is going to look for a hot receiver.  Post-snap:  bring 3 rushers drop 3 into the flat and shallow middle.  QB now has to either throw into coverage or wait it out. 

Bringing 3 doesn't indicate that the defense is going to be soft on the running game.  The Steelers have done that for years and had the best run defense.

51% percent of the time is a lot though. Also I don't remember, when was the last time the steelers won a grey cup?

19 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

My first line of thought when I looked at that number the first time is that Jones is trying to give us least amount of footage of where the blitzes may be coming from as possible.

You think that Jones sewered his teams chances in a very winnable game 1 of the season just to give the Bombers problems in week 2? You don't think his massive ego wanted to prove to everyone how brilliant he was to throw Durant aside? 

24 minutes ago, MC said:

The Steelers did that while playing CFL rules football featuring two rookie LBers and a soft as butter interior DL? Wow...they must have had Chris Jones coaching them.

Edited by gcn11

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You think that Jones sewered his teams chances in a very winnable game 1 of the season just to give the Bombers problems in week 2? You don't think his massive ego wanted to prove to everyone how brilliant he was to throw Durant aside? 

More likely he wanted to force Durant to make reads and avoid him getting out of the pocket where he can do a lot of damage.

42 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Like most things, scheming blitzes is not rocket surgery. If LaPolice does not know how to counter every variant of blitz, he ought to be flipping burgers. If the oline is too dense to respond, they ought to be turfed.

The issue with bringing 3 is that it is very difficult, unless you have very very good d-lineman to bring pressure. You can drop as many linebackers and DB's as you want back but you will be covering for a long time. Good receivers will find an open spot and dbs get tired.

The steelers almost always blitz at least one linebacker. the tough thing is predicting where that is coming from.

Edited by Gotmilt

39 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Absolutely.  Just like he "sewered his teams chances" when he put Bridge in cold when they were in the red zone.  Remember this is Jones we're talking about here, nothing should surprise anyone. 

22 minutes ago, tracker said:

Like most things, scheming blitzes is not rocket surgery. If LaPolice does not know how to counter every variant of blitz, he ought to be flipping burgers. If the oline is too dense to respond, they ought to be turfed.

Countering a blitz pre-snap is a lot harder to do if you don't know it's coming.  

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Countering a blitz pre-snap is a lot harder to do if you don't know it's coming.  

Which is why they use things such as hard count to get the defence to jump, usually not intending to draw offsides but to see who is and who is not blitzing.