EDMONTON ESKIMOS @ BC LIONS

Mr Dee

42 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Great game but disappointing crowd. Under 20,000. Seems a lot of issues in the Lower Mainland like the population of the downtown mostly Asian, the majority of fans live in the suburbs far away or in places like Abbotsford & Chilliwack, the difficulty getting to BC Place & high ticket prices all seem to have come together to create this problem for the Lions of attracting fans. Also, David Braley himself running the organization & grinding it down on the cheap. Cutting people from marketing & sales. Very little advertising. People want Braley to sell but the old codger, just like when he owned the Argos thinks he can get more than top dollar for the team even though the longer he waits the less he'll get. Braley destroyed the Argos brand in Toronto. That's the impression I get from talking to someone very close to the Lions.

Very true, if their stadium was located somewhere on the outskirts like Abbotsford they could substantially increase attendance by attracting families and retired people who want nothing to do with going downtown, especially on a week night.  The CFL needs to focus on their target market and accept that they are not hip with either the corporate crowd or the urbanites who live in the downtown core of the larger cities.  Same holds true for the Argos situation.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

People get the money from having bought houses years ago and having the equity from the prices sky rocketing. If you didn't have a house prior though good luck. My wife bought a small condo almost 6 years ago when she was living there and that thing is ridiculously priced considering it's size and it's gone up a bunch in the time since too. 

You guys are lucky that way for sure. You're in the market so if you ever want to retire out there you can. Or sell & make a fortune.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Very true, if their stadium was located somewhere on the outskirts like Abbotsford they could substantially increase attendance by attracting families and retired people who want nothing to do with going downtown, especially on a week night.  The CFL needs to focus on their target market and accept that they are not hip with either the corporate crowd or the urbanites who live in the downtown core of the larger cities.  Same holds true for the Argos situation.

CFL teams have really taken out the walk up crowds. Single game day prices are just insanely high. Used to be teams would get 6-8,000 walkups if not more depending on the game but no more. Prices have to come down. You'd think teams would clue in but they don't.

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

People get the money from having bought houses years ago and having the equity from the prices sky rocketing. If you didn't have a house prior though good luck. My wife bought a small condo almost 6 years ago when she was living there and that thing is ridiculously priced considering it's size and it's gone up a bunch in the time since too. 

My neighbour inherited his parents house on a 1/2 acre lot in Mission that was purchased in 1956 for $24,000.  Today it worth aprox. $3.5 million.

Vancouver's not Winnipeg or Calgary. Folks don't get into their cars to go to the stadium. They take Skytrain right to the door. If they live past the last station, they take the car to the closest station and still take Skytrain downtown.

Downtown Vancouver's got lots of races in it from all over the world, not just Asian's. The biggest group IMO, and I used to live there, are gay.

I used to work in Downtown Vancouver and just stayed downtown, went to the game, then hoped on the train back out to Surrey.

18 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

BC Place Stadium is in the perfect place. Vancouver just isn't a great sports town. I remember, even when the GM Place was new(er), there were always plenty of tickets available for Canucks games. People will go downtown and you can get there relatively easily.

Put it in Abbotsford and watch it die. Who the heck wants to drive to Abbotsford??

19 hours ago, 17to85 said:

You're MARRIED?!

;)

if I'm Toronto, I'm for sure telling the referees ahead of time that if they're not going to call Duke on offensive PI, I'll be challenging it. Let the league know.

He looks like an unbelievable receiver, but to be able to do what he did on three separate catches ... it's kind of ridiculous it didn't get called even once. And how about the play-by-play guy (I forget who) saying "a little push off is allowed, and besides, he's doing a great job of hiding it"

if it was allowed why would he need to hide it. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Mike said:

if I'm Toronto, I'm for sure telling the referees ahead of time that if they're not going to call Duke on offensive PI, I'll be challenging it. Let the league know.

He looks like an unbelievable receiver, but to be able to do what he did on three separate catches ... it's kind of ridiculous it didn't get called even once. And how about the play-by-play guy (I forget who) saying "a little push off is allowed, and besides, he's doing a great job of hiding it"

I didn't watch the whole game but I saw one of "The Duke" 's TD catches.  The DB was right on him, he pushed him just as the ball arrived and then easily caught it.  I'm not sure how it wasn't PI or wasn't challenged as such.

Just now, BBlink said:

I didn't watch the whole game but I saw one of "The Duke" 's TD catches.  The DB was right on him, he pushed him just as the ball arrived and then easily caught it.  I'm not sure how it wasn't PI or wasn't challenged as such.

He literally did the exact same thing on two other catches. I'm shocked it didn't get challenged even once.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Suitor spent a good part of the game explaining how it's totally legal for receivers to just push dbs away in order to catch the ball. I swear I don't know what that guy watches half the time but it's certainly not the same game I do. 

33 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Suitor spent a good part of the game explaining how it's totally legal for receivers to just push dbs away in order to catch the ball. I swear I don't know what that guy watches half the time but it's certainly not the same game I do. 

Actually his interpretation of the rules appears to more in line with the official's interpretation than yours. For the record I agree with you the rules should be applied both ways. 

1 minute ago, Fan Boy said:

Actually his interpretation of the rules appears to more in line with the official's interpretation than yours. For the record I agree with you the rules should be applied both ways. 

Yeah but the officials are often watching different games too

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah I have no idea how he was allowed to push off so much. The DB's all had decent position until he pushed too. Should absolutely be PI on him for that. Hope the CFL clarifies.

Yup, the more they do it the more it becomes normalized. SJ Green did it down the sideline yesterday, blatant push from behind, DB in disbelief.  They'll probably correct it July 1st when Dressler catches the first TD caught in the new Mosiac stadium.

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup, the more they do it the more it becomes normalized. SJ Green did it down the sideline yesterday, blatant push from behind, DB in disbelief.  They'll probably correct it July 1st when Dressler catches the first TD caught in the new Mosiac stadium.

I think these approachs come from above.

For instance, in the NBA travelling is no longer enforced at all. Might as well take it out of the rulebook.

Ignoring the rulebook makes any sport more boring. 

Wasn't there a Sask receiver who was offside every play? one of their greats?

Edited by Mark F

15 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I think these approachs come from above.

For instance, in the NBA travelling is no longer enforced at all. Might as well take it out of the rulebook.

Ignoring the rulebook makes any sport more boring. 

Wasn't there a Sask receiver who was offside every play? one of their greats?

Yea good ole Ray Ellgaard who was 20 yards down field while the defense was still huddling. 

57 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

SJ Green has been doing that for years though, Arceneaux as well is allowed to do whatever he wants to dbs too. 

It's really simple, you're a big receiver? Then go ahead and do whatever the **** you want, it's OK. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

SJ Green has been doing that for years though, Arceneaux as well is allowed to do whatever he wants to dbs too. 

It's really simple, you're a big receiver? Then go ahead and do whatever the **** you want, it's OK. 

That's the Donald Trump approach.