Canadian Politics

27 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This video should be moved to the RIP 2023 thread.

I fear not, it's only going to get worse.  15-20 years ago that little dweeb could have been Poilievre, Harper or Kenney, they step directly from their Conservative campus club straight into jobs in Parliament without ever setting a foot in the real world.  Preston Manning created some truly horrible offspring, but there's little doubt he's the Daddy of them all.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

My gut is that Obby is lying. Feels like the PCs are going for Smear Wab and dog whistle to the racists.

I'm willing to wait to see if there's any evidence presented, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to leverage the ethnicity of Obby and the ethnicity/history of Wab in this situation. Wab's history with assault is at the very least questionable and they'd love to use it to smear him without having to come out and say it directly.

Obby was a huge pickup for them due to race and ethnicity. They've previously prided themselves on "the most diverse cabinet" of mainly white men because they had people(men) representing a bunch of different European ancestries. I'm sure they'll attempt to leverage Obby's race explicitly in some way.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I'm willing to wait to see if there's any evidence presented, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to leverage the ethnicity of Obby and the ethnicity/history of Wab in this situation. Wab's history with assault is at the very least questionable and they'd love to use it to smear him without having to come out and say it directly.

Obby was a huge pickup for them due to race and ethnicity. They've previously prided themselves on "the most diverse cabinet" of mainly white men because they had people(men) representing a bunch of different European ancestries. I'm sure they'll attempt to leverage Obby's race explicitly in some way.

Bingo!

I didn't even know about the Fletcher incident ,  so this alone true or not at least will rehash the questionable history of Wab and will lose him more votes.     

10 hours ago, WildPath said:

Absolutely! They paid him $500k for him to join. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Absolutely! They paid him $500k for him to join. 

No they did not. That is a complete lie. 

13 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

My gut is that Obby is lying. Feels like the PCs are going for Smear Wab and dog whistle to the racists.

Wab is a well known hot-head in native circles, I can tell you that. Long before he was a provincial politician in native political circles he was known for his temper, and for being a hot head. Earned himself the nickname ****** Kinew amongst his own people. Challenged our chief to a fist fight for disagreeing with him. Just wait for it, but I can tell you there is some very powerful players in the native political scene working against him because of some recent stuff he, and Nahanni did. You are going to be hearing a lot more about Wab as the election nears and it won't be coming from the PCs.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No they did not. That is a complete lie. 

Wab is a well known hot-head in native circles, I can tell you that. Long before he was a provincial politician in native political circles he was known for his temper, and for being a hot head. Earned himself the nickname ****** Kinew amongst his own people. Challenged our chief to a fist fight for disagreeing with him. 

They didn't pay him directly. But that 500k his failing business got is questionable at best.

20 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

If this happened at an event full of people, you would think it would be fairly easy to confirm if there was a physical incident or not.

Apparently there is a video....? I haven't been able to find it though.

Heard that other MPs there said the exchange has been  blown out of proportion though.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

They didn't pay him directly. But that 500k his failing business got is questionable at best.

Questionable ...maybe insofar as how the fund was allocated....but it is over the top to suggest that this was money paid to Khan to gain his support.  Khan did a great job, and a great public service with that money that helped many Manitoba businesses stay afloat. Secondly, the money was given at the behest of the Manitoba Chamber of Commerce who vetted the applications for the grant and were tasked with deciding who should receive the money. Of course, we aren't going to talk about that...doesn't fit the narrative. 

Also, there was nothing failing about his business? Not sure how you even came to that absurd conclusion.

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Questionable ...maybe insofar as how the fund was allocated....but it is over the top to suggest that this was money paid to Khan to gain his support.  Khan did a great job, and a great public service with that money that helped many Manitoba businesses stay afloat. Secondly, the money was given at the behest of the Manitoba Chamber of Commerce who vetted the applications for the grant and were tasked with deciding who should receive the money. Of course, we aren't going to talk about that...doesn't fit the narrative. 

Also, there was nothing failing about his business? Not sure how you even came to that absurd conclusion.

On May 26, GoodLocal, which is co-owned by Fort Whyte MLA Obby Khan, sent a letter to vendors saying it could no longer afford to store products for free at its warehouse, which would be relocated immediately. The e-commerce site was also taken offline for redevelopment.

In December 2020, GoodLocal received a $500,000 grant to expand its warehouse, delivery services and website and hire a full-time marketing consultant to promote the platform, which had launched a month prior.

The money flowed through the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce to GoodLocal.

The chamber was tasked by the provincial government to run its COVID-19 pandemic relief program while many retailers were shuttered due to public health orders.

Roughly 10 months later, Khan endorsed Heather Stefanson in her successful bid to become leader of the PC party. In January, he announced his candidacy for the Tory nomination in the Fort Whyte byelection. He was elected in a tight race in March.

The Tories have since distanced themselves from the pandemic relief program, saying the chamber selected GoodLocal as the e-commerce platform of choice and awarded the contract to Khan’s business despite the province signing a contract that identified GoodLocal as the funding recipient.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2022/05/30/ndp-questions-grant-as-biz-downsizes

21 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

On May 26, GoodLocal, which is co-owned by Fort Whyte MLA Obby Khan, sent a letter to vendors saying it could no longer afford to store products for free at its warehouse, which would be relocated immediately. The e-commerce site was also taken offline for redevelopment.

In December 2020, GoodLocal received a $500,000 grant to expand its warehouse, delivery services and website and hire a full-time marketing consultant to promote the platform, which had launched a month prior.

The money flowed through the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce to GoodLocal.

The chamber was tasked by the provincial government to run its COVID-19 pandemic relief program while many retailers were shuttered due to public health orders.

Roughly 10 months later, Khan endorsed Heather Stefanson in her successful bid to become leader of the PC party. In January, he announced his candidacy for the Tory nomination in the Fort Whyte byelection. He was elected in a tight race in March.

The Tories have since distanced themselves from the pandemic relief program, saying the chamber selected GoodLocal as the e-commerce platform of choice and awarded the contract to Khan’s business despite the province signing a contract that identified GoodLocal as the funding recipient.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2022/05/30/ndp-questions-grant-as-biz-downsizes

Just a con man, like the rest of them. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I believe there were reports that the business was struggling and then like magic 500k showed up from the grant...then Khan was a big PC supporter after years of not publicly endorsing anyone. Just a coincidence I'm sure.