Canadian Politics

19 hours ago, 17to85 said:

She thinks she can pull the "I can't talk about it because it's going to court" and it will just disappear. But it won't.  People who aren't her base just won't forget it. And it's only a matter of time until she does or says something else completely off the wall stupid.

But that will change......nothing.

On 2023-04-06 at 11:48 AM, 17to85 said:

I dunno, her inability to not be off-putting cost her elections in the past where she was polling ahead.

It is a core value of right-wingers that they will NOT change their allegiances when confronted with evidence to the effect that their loyalty is not respected but abused. Many will even double down. 

6 hours ago, Tracker said:

It is a core value of right-wingers that they will NOT change their allegiances when confronted with evidence to the effect that their loyalty is not respected but abused. Many will even double down. 

Perplexing to use the word value to describe anything associated with lunatic knuckdraggers.

It’s like saying my value I hold close is being a dickhead to anyone who doesn’t think and act like a uninformed me me me prick.

That’s a value?

Edited by HardCoreBlue

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Most albetans are not true right wingers though. Just having a hard time realizing that the UCP aren't the same big tent centrist party that the PCs were.

If Conservatives ever realize...that they could afford to lose 15 - 20 thousand votes in their strong hold ridings, in exchange for gaining votes in potential swing ridings, then their chances of winning federal elections will increase dramatically.  But that would mean adopting more moderate policies - from which they are still a long way off.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

If Conservatives ever realize...that they could afford to lose 15 - 20 thousand votes in their strong hold ridings, in exchange for gaining votes in potential swing ridings, then their chances of winning federal elections will increase dramatically.  But that would mean adopting more moderate policies - from which they are still a long way off.

And receding.

7 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Erin otoole tried and the far right sent him packing.

On 2023-04-08 at 2:58 PM, Mark H. said:

That's true. Especially as the Liberals and NDP move away from moderate policies themselves. There is a huge void in the middle, where most of the votes are, that no one seems to want to take. It's weird.

21 hours ago, GCn20 said:

That's true. Especially as the Liberals and NDP move away from moderate policies themselves. There is a huge void in the middle, where most of the votes are, that no one seems to want to take. It's weird.

What moderate policies are you referencing here?

What specific policies do you see them moving away from that they should embrace?

I feel you are trying to both sides this thing... I keep asking you for specifics, yet you never provide any. I suspect you are just going by your "feels" at this point, with no basis in reality... 

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

13 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

What moderate policies are you referencing here?

What specific policies do you see them moving away from that they should embrace?

I feel you are trying to both sides this thing... I keep asking you for specifics, yet you never provide any. I suspect you are just going by your "feels" at this point, with no basis in reality... 

Bill C-11, massive deficit spending, increases in taxation are just three off the top of my head. The Chretien/Martin Liberals at least tried to keep spending in check and C-11 is an all out assault on free speech. That's not feels...that's facts.  As a centrist voter, I am being told that the government is not moving left, that centre has changed.....what a crock of BS that is. You may not like my opinion on how our government is operating but I will stay in the majority of Canadians who agree with me. Trudeau can't get turfed soon enough for me. It will be a great day for Canada.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Bill C-11, massive deficit spending, increases in taxation are just three off the top of my head. The Chretien/Martin Liberals at least tried to keep spending in check and C-11 is an all out assault on free speech. That's not feels...that's facts.  As a centrist voter, I am being told that the government is not moving left, that centre has changed.....what a crock of BS that is. You may not like my opinion on how our government is operating but I will stay in the majority of Canadians who agree with me. Trudeau can't get turfed soon enough for me. It will be a great day for Canada.

It is the craziest thing that you all actually believe that....

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Bill C-11 is not an all out assault on free speech- that is hyperbole. It looks to need more work and to be ironed out, and that is what they seem to be doing in the senate right now.  

The Chretien/Martin government had a MUCH different environment when they were governing, where being fiscally prudent was the order of the day... that is not our reality right now. 

Also, I think you are mistaking the Overton window for your political center. The Overton window shifts, while what you consider acceptable policies do not.

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

That deficit spending is a real left wing policy. I wonder what a CPC gov't would do in a similar situation? :35_thinking:

Year budgetary balance (% of GDP)

2009-10 -3.6
2021-22 -3.6

Once again, it's not about facts, it's all about fake outrage and both siding everything. 

Outrage is just one thing being faked here.

25 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What in the sweet tapdancing **** is a "centrist voter?"

A right wing voter who doesn't like that people point out what they are actually voting for.

I mean  I have long said Trudeau is a dope... but God compared to what the cons are doing all over the country there really is no choice but to avoid them because liberals are the lesser of two evils. 

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

A right wing voter who doesn't like that people point out what they are actually voting for.

I mean  I have long said Trudeau is a dope... but God compared to what the cons are doing all over the country there really is no choice but to avoid them because liberals are the lesser of two evils. 

I lean to the right of centre for sure. Hate identity politics, hate fiscal irresponsibility, hate tax increases, hate big government and federal over reach. Therefore, to me, the Liberals are not the lesser of two evils. Not a huge Poilievre supporter but I will plug my nose and vote for him if it is helps mercy kill this tired and corrupt Liberal government. Glad to see that many in Canada appears to be starting to feel the same way. When the ethics commissioner resigns in disgust its gotten out of hand.

Edited by GCn20

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I lean to the right of centre for sure. Hate identity politics, hate fiscal irresponsibility, hate tax increases, hate big government and federal over reach. Therefore, to me, the Liberals are not the lesser of two evils. Not a huge Poilievre supporter but I will plug my nose and vote for him if it is helps mercy kill this tired and corrupt Liberal government. Glad to see that many in Canada appears to be starting to feel the same way. When the ethics commissioner resigns in disgust its gotten out of hand.

I've tended to vote for right of center parties. I refuse to vote for PP and the Conservatives since he and the party supported the Convoy, support anti vax positions including lies about vaccines killing children, promote tin foil hat theories about the WEF, argue that being woke is a bad thing and are using the same tactics as Donald Trump and many of the MAGA Republicans in the US. I don't like Trudeau or his government but as 17to85 said, lesser of two evils.

Eventually, the CPC will have to release some policies. As of now, other than ranting into a camera and offering nothing but rage farming, they've done nothing. They have nothing to share. Just like in the US, the right has no policies other than "woke bad" and tear everything down. 

The Trump administration was a huge failure because they did so little, other than pack the courts with alt-right judges and promote white supremacy.

This is why PP will fail in an election because he has nothing to offer, other than rage farming and the Post Media lapdogs to wax poetic about him.