Canadian Politics

On 2023-04-01 at 8:20 PM, Noeller said:

So just as an example... The news outlet I work for doesn't put anything into a newscast that isn't directly from a press release. Zero liability and no bias on our end. If it's from the cops, ver batum press release. Governments? Same deal. If there's bias, it's not from us. It's not our mandate to interpret the press release and come up with our own version of events... That would be presenting bias, IMO. 

I have no issue with news reports that are verbatim from the source so long as context is not left out which happens all too often these days. Whenever an issue is discussed with opinion, both sides of the issue should be represented and without bias or picking a winner. Social media is a quagmire of fictional news, and mainstream media's biases prevent what should be reliable intelligence gathering and has turned it into propaganda. 

Get educated people say. Well that's all fine and good but not everyone can spend hours a day doing that on numerous issues. Many rely on the media to inform them and that is not what is happening these days. Then we sit and wonder why people on the extreme rights and lefts of the political spectrum are so loony....it's because their information has been left to their own imagination.

Edited by GCn20

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Social media is a quagmire of fictional news,

No one should ever use social media for news. Ever. 

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

and mainstream media's biases prevent what should be reliable intelligence gathering and has turned it into propaganda. 

I would be interested in some specific examples... 

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

24 Sussex Dr. has seen better days, time to take the old gal down and build a new one.

Walls full of dead rodents led to closure of PM's official residence

0320-24-sussex.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&

https://calgarysun.com/news/prime-minister-official-residence-rodent-infestation/

And here I thought that the Harpers had left.

7 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

No one should ever use social media for news. Ever. 

I would be interested in some specific examples... 

Specific examples of mainstream media bias? CNN, Fox News, Sun Media, CBC...pick pretty much anything published/broadcast by the above.

2011 election the CBC went off air refusing to call a Harper majority even though all other networks had done so hours earlier. Peter Mansbridge was visibly upset and teared up when it became apparent and refused to call the election. That's our national broadcaster and it was a gross display.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Specific examples of mainstream media bias? CNN, Fox News, Sun Media, CBC...pick pretty much anything published/broadcast by the above.

2011 election the CBC went off air refusing to call a Harper majority even though all other networks had done so hours earlier. Peter Mansbridge was visibly upset and teared up when it became apparent and refused to call the election. That's our national broadcaster and it was a gross display.

Huh, that’s funny. I guess I found a deep fake video then, showing the pretend CBC election coverage from 2011. At the 29 minute mark the doctored video shows polls closing, at the 59 minute mark the Cons are declared the winners, and at 1:50 the majority is declared by the CGI Mansbridge, with more than 2 hours of coverage still to come. They even managed to digitally remove Fake Peter’s tears. I guess it is true that you can’t trust anything you find online.

Or maybe, just maybe, and hear me out on this, the problem isn’t media bias so much as it is your own, misrepresenting and “misremembering” things to feed your own slanted narrative with false confirmation bias, all so you can slam the side you don’t like and justify ignoring facts by claiming bias and giving you an excuse to make up your own “true” facts  

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

37 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Huh, that’s funny. I guess I found a deep fake video then, showing the pretend CBC election coverage from 2011. At the 29 minute mark the doctored video shows polls closing, at the 59 minute mark the Cons are declared the winners, and at 1:50 the majority is declared by the CGI Mansbridge, with more than 2 hours of coverage still to come. They even managed to digitally remove Fake Peter’s tears. I guess it is true that you can’t trust anything you find online.

Or maybe, just maybe, and hear me out on this, the problem isn’t media bias so much as it is your own, misrepresenting and “misremembering” things to feed your own slanted narrative with false confirmation bias, all so you can slam the side you don’t like and justify ignoring facts by claiming bias and giving you an excuse to make up your own “true” facts  

Nah..Mansbridge was near tears when Tories won one election. I am just misremembering which one. Would have thought 2011, but I guess not.

I don't need confirmation bias to slam "the side I don't like" they do it all by themselves. The CBC should be defunded. Tara Henley, a left wing journalist and producer, even quit the CBC because she thought it had lost all objectivity. Bias confirmation? Several polls done indicate the majority of Canadians believe that the CBC has a left wing bias. Defending the CBC on matters of bias is like the right defending Sun Media. It's laughable.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The problem CBC has isn't bias, the corporately owned news outlets are far more biased, just towards the right so it might appear that the CBC is biased left. No then problems cbc has is they bought into the idea that news is entertainment and now if it bleeds it leads as they say. 

In world with Postmedia, it's laughable that CBC is the most "biased" news source. They try to be balanced to a fault. Postmedia is openly hostile to the centre and the left. Look at the people they employ!

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

"I misremembered."

What's laughable is presenting no data while crying "defund CBC" and expected to be taken seriously. Public polls conducted online don't count, BTW.

So much for using critical thinking. Explains why this country has so many ignorant, uninformed whiners.

I find constantly espousing 'I'm a moderate, everyone's bad' annoying as hell.

9 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Nah..Mansbridge was near tears when Tories won one election. I am just misremembering which one. Would have thought 2011, but I guess not.

I don't need confirmation bias to slam "the side I don't like" they do it all by themselves. The CBC should be defunded. Tara Henley, a left wing journalist and producer, even quit the CBC because she thought it had lost all objectivity. Bias confirmation? Several polls done indicate the majority of Canadians believe that the CBC has a left wing bias. Defending the CBC on matters of bias is like the right defending Sun Media. It's laughable.

tvx33l6ip0y01.jpg?auto=webp&s=81cc04eb40

I kid, I kid... :)

The CBC is Left of center, it's not wing nut left fringe news, the way you make it sound. More importantly, they are HIGHLY factual and HIGHLY credible. 

To say they are the worst is not accurate at all- there is so much worse out there in terms of bias, factual reporting and credibility.  

Speaking of annoying individuals: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/danielle-smith-cbc-1.6799473

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is threatening legal action against the CBC if the corporation doesn't retract and apologize for recent reporting about the premier and COVID-19-related criminal cases related to last year's Coutts, Alta., blockade.

In a letter addressed to CBC editor-in-chief Brodie Fenlon and verified by CBC News, lawyer Munaf Mohamed, writing on Smith's behalf, demands the corporation retract its reporting and publish an apology online and in news broadcasts "informing readers that it has no evidence of dishonesty or direct contact between the premier (or anyone in her office) and Alberta Crown prosecutors about any specific COVID-19-related prosecutions."

...CBC's head of public affairs Chuck Thompson said in an email, "As we've said all along, we stand by our journalism on this story and, if necessary, will defend it in court."

Insufferable stupidity.

14 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Speaking of annoying individuals: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/danielle-smith-cbc-1.6799473

Insufferable stupidity.

She said she was going to do it before her appointment. She said she did it. Then, lied and said she didn't. Then a recording of her doing it was released. 

Why do Albertans not care that their premier is interfering in court cases? This is by far the most shocking and disturbing thing in politics right now. 

Why is a premier allowed to interfere? It's criminal. She should resign. 

Edited by JCon

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

She said she was going to do it before her appointment. She said she did it. Then, lied and said she didn't. Then a recording of her doing it was released. 

Why do Albertans not care that their premier is interfering in court cases? This is by far the most shocking and disturbing thing in politics right now. 

Why is a premier allowed to interfere? It's criminal. She should resign. 

Ahhhh some Albertans care that hopefully gets reflected in the upcoming election. But F’ing polls show it may not be enough. 

the province is filled with absolute lunatics......some of which who post "still better than Notley!" on this board. Sigh. It'll all come down to Calgary. The NDP will need a vast majority of Calgary (a near sweep) to take the province. 

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Insufferable stupidity.

More like political strategy 2 months before an election, now she can say she can't answers questions regarding the matter as it is before the courts,

Voila.

"Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she will no longer speak about her involvement in how COVID-19 court cases are being prosecuted."

https://www.thestar.com/politics/2023/04/03/alberta-premier-says-she-will-no-longer-comment-on-crown-prosecutor-controversy.html