Canadian Politics

38 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You say it's easy to spot bias. Is it? There are many on here who defend a clearly biased CBC on their accuracy for instance.

CBC is not more or less biased than all the others. I like CBC because their articles are more in depth.

The Winnipeg Sun, for example, has a right wing bent, but that's not the reason I dislike them.  I find the quality of their writing to be very low level. 

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

The CBC favours whoever is in power, always have. The board is led by govt cronies. 

But, they do an amazing job delivering on their mandate. I just wish they were funded properly. 

Yes. But I will say this: the absolute glee of people like Mansbridge, was very obvious when the Trudeau Liberals won in the 2015.  

13 hours ago, GCn20 said:

You say it's easy to spot bias. Is it? There are many on here who defend a clearly biased CBC on their accuracy for instance.

100% CBC is the worst for bias and/or slanting news reports to fit an agenda at a local level.    

Nearly every time a press conference or big news (locally) is announced they are the only ones that withhold key information or slant the story in a certain way.  Meanwhile all the other local news outlets report almost word for word a different (the true unfiltered story) of what really has happened.    

The Sun is clearly garbage but the difference is that my tax payers dollars isn't going to tabloid like outlets... it annoys the ever living hell out of me that taxpayers money goes to CBC.  

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Nearly every time a press conference or big news (locally) is announced they are the only ones that withhold key information or slant the story in a certain way.  Meanwhile all the other local news outlets report almost word for word a different (the true unfiltered story) of what really has happened.    

I won't ask you to show your work, because you can't.

All of the media does that.

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

He can't possibly be that out of touch,

Wanna bet? A prerequisite of right-wing philosophy is to put on blinkers that blind adherents to obvious irony and consequences. "If God is with us, who can be against us?"

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I won't ask you to show your work, because you can't.

Narrator: he did not show his work.

Mostly because there is none to demonstrate CBC having the worst bias in Canadian media.

The cognitive dissonance in this thread would be funny if it weren't so rampant.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

...taxpayers money goes to CBC.  

There are around 28M taxpayers in this country (https://www.statista.com/statistics/478908/number-of-taxfilers-in-canada-by-province/). CBC received $1.4B in 2021 from the federal gov't (https://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/impact-and-accountability/finances/annual-reports/ar-2021-2022/financial-sustainability/year-in-review-our-results-government-funding).

I'm no mathemagician but that's about $50 per taxpayer over the course of a fiscal year - less than $1 a week.

Whining about CBC's public funding seems pretty misguided when you consider what it provides for Canadians.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Feels versus facts on clear display here.

Never fails with a select few.

18 hours ago, Mark H. said:

CBC is not more or less biased than all the others. I like CBC because their articles are more in depth.

The Winnipeg Sun, for example, has a right wing bent, but that's not the reason I dislike them.  I find the quality of their writing to be very low level. 

No one can say with any certainty who is most or least biased because there is no baseline to measure from because none of them report the whole truth, nor are they given the whole truth by the government. Anyone who says they have all the facts is quite simply full of it because none of us have access to all the facts.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

No one can say with any certainty who is most or least biased because there is no baseline to measure from because none of them report the whole truth, nor are they given the whole truth by the government. Anyone who says they have all the facts is quite simply full of it because none of us have access to all the facts.

unbiased is simply presenting facts without leading the reader/viewer/whatever down a path you want them to go. An unbiased source simply presents the facts that are available and let's the interpretation happen. 

Edited by 17to85

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

My point is that they are all biased.  

Yes they certainly appear to be.

36 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

unbiased is simply presenting facts without leading the reader/viewer/whatever down a path you want them to go. An unbiased source simply presents the facts that are available and let's the interpretation happen. 

Yes, and we are not seeing that these days.

So just as an example... The news outlet I work for doesn't put anything into a newscast that isn't directly from a press release. Zero liability and no bias on our end. If it's from the cops, ver batum press release. Governments? Same deal. If there's bias, it's not from us. It's not our mandate to interpret the press release and come up with our own version of events... That would be presenting bias, IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So just as an example... The news outlet I work for doesn't put anything into a newscast that isn't directly from a press release. Zero liability and no bias on our end. If it's from the cops, verbatim press release. Governments? Same deal. If there's bias, it's not from us. It's not our mandate to interpret the press release and come up with our own version of events... That would be presenting bias, IMO. 

But can you guarantee that all of the reports are completely true and objective? Have you not heard of copaganda?